The moment Dino knew he was pulling Dungey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The moment Dino knew he was pulling Dungey

Because he is the leader of the team; because he has earned it; because bringing in DeVito changes the dynamics in such a pronounced way that it affords the Orange tremendous energy - as it did today

Do you start the "leader" of the team even though he maybe the lesser of the two players and cost your team a chance to win week in and week out?

Because he is the leader of the team; because he has earned it; because bringing in DeVito changes the dynamics in such a pronounced way that it affords the Orange tremendous energy - as it did today

Keith Downing was well respected too in 1995. Let’s be real w this leadership stuff. Give me the guy who moves the football. We need wins not merit badges I’m sick of losing

For those of you scoring at home...and I know that you are...

Dungey’s Wins: a directional Michigan, Wagner and storz st.

DeVito’s Wins: Florida St & North Carolina

I’m sorry, but there’s no more cream puffs left on the schedule for Dungey.

We already lost pace v Clemson and Pitt...

Keith Downing was well respected too in 1995. Let’s be real w this leadership stuff. Give me the guy who moves the football. We need wins not merit badges I’m sick of losing

Keith Downing wasn't a three year starter losing his job. Both he and McNabb were battling to replace Kevin Mason (who sat behind Marvin Graves).

Can't argue with wanting results. This is going to be a real challenge for Babers to make sure that he doesn't divide the locker room, and that he doesn't create a storyline that other coaches will use in negative recruiting; "Look how SU treated Dungey. We would never treat you that badly".

Devito had the advantage that UNC had likely prepared exclusively for Dungey. What will it be like when teams prep for him? We will soon find out, but you could make any argument for starting either. Can we survive with them splitting time?

Last edited:
Dungey was two 4th down stops by the defense away from being 6-0 before today.

So, I don't agree with your premise.
If Ed was able to move the ball at all in either of those games we wouldn’t have had to rely on the defense like that. He has not been able to move the offense. Most of the big gains from him are broken plays or him making something out of nothing. Give me growing pains and devitos arm any day.

Dino needs to talk with his captains. Does he lose the locker room one way or the other.

Coach runs the team. He may tell his Captains, but he makes it clear it's not up for discussion.

I love Dungey, but he hasn't progressed from his Sophomore team in his accuracy and arm strength. The difference between ED and TD is stark, in my eyes.

If Erics shoulder wasnt banged up we would be undefeated. He simply cant throw the ball well with the injury.
Tommy should start.

The moment Dino knew was right after ED made that ill advised push pass. At that point, it was put on display that desire and competitiveness can sometimes lead to poor decision making.

When he coupled this with the fact that during the later part of the 4th quarter this game was not going to be won on the ground, TD was the only choice.

IMO Dino decided that leaving ED in the game, because of the recklessness he already displayed, could have led to another ill advised decision that would have resulted in a loss.

Having said all of that, Eric starts next week.

For those of you scoring at home...and I know that you are...

Dungey’s Wins: a directional Michigan, Wagner and storz st.

DeVito’s Wins: Florida St & North Carolina

I’m sorry, but there’s no more cream puffs left on the schedule for Dungey.

We already lost pace v Clemson and Pitt...

Come on now, let's not do this. Both QB's have been instrumental in helping us win games. I have no problem with DeVito starting next game but let's not take credit away from Dungey and what impact he has made since he's worn Orange INCLUDING the 20 points that he led the team to yesterday. Yes, he (and the offense) stalled in the 2nd half but without those points, we don't win either. So, if I was in fact scoring at home (which I'm not) I would give both QB's the victory - neither guy alone won the game yesterday.

Wait so does that make ED Lt Dike? Not sure I like that comparison.

Come on now, let's not do this. Both QB's have been instrumental in helping us win games. I have no problem with DeVito starting next game but let's not take credit away from Dungey and what impact he has made since he's worn Orange INCLUDING the 20 points that he led the team to yesterday. Yes, he (and the offense) stalled in the 2nd half but without those points, we don't win either. So, if I was in fact scoring at home (which I'm not) I would give both QB's the victory - neither guy alone won the game yesterday.
Let me put it this way...

Would DeVito have put up a W v directional MI, wags and storz st??

Would Dungey have put up a W v Florida St and North Carolina??

Wait, we already know the answer to the latter, so just answer the former, thanks.

Ed will never be able to make those throws Devito can. Devito has a talent Dungey can’t replicate right now however Dungey is better with his legs no doubt. I actually think Dungey could be a better wide receiver than quarterback.

Last edited:
Can we now wonder if Devito was in against Clemson and Pitt if we would have won those games? I would almost say year to both and I’ll go a step further. Who won the game against Florida state? We were only up 6-0 at
Half thanks to our defense

Can we now wonder if Devito was in against Clemson and Pitt if we would have won those games? I would almost say year to both and I’ll go a step further. Who won the game against Florida state? We were only up 6-0 at
Half thanks to our defense
DeVito would’ve beat pitt and if he went in for the ‘save’ against Clemson, we would be set to ruin espns holiday plans.

Keith Downing wasn't a three year starter losing his job. Both he and McNabb were battling to replace Kevin Mason (who sat behind Marvin Graves).

Can't argue with wanting results. This is going to be a real challenge for Babers to make sure that he doesn't divide the locker room, and that he doesn't create a storyline that other coaches will use in negative recruiting; "Look how SU treated Dungey. We would never treat you that badly".

Devito had the advantage that UNC had likely prepared exclusively for Dungey. What will it be like when teams prep for him. We will soon find out. But you could make any argument for starting either. Can we survive with them splitting time?
They prepped for ED and he still missed wide open guys he was and never ever will be a good passer

It did seem like Babers brought in a guy with a 100 mph heater, didn't it?
There was incompletion where the wideout, I forget who, sort of ran a lazy route, turned...and the ball was a little behind him at 100mph as you say, still hit him in the hands...and he had a look like...’oh yeah, Goose is now’ as Ed Figueroa had hit the showers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom