The moment Dino knew he was pulling Dungey | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The moment Dino knew he was pulling Dungey

I think Dino knew when ED did the push forward pass as he was going down at the 5 minute mark, take the sack and punt and play D, could have been the game if ruled a fumble, Dino looked pissed, poor decision from a senior.
The good thing about if Tommy starts and they have packages for ED is the he is a dangerous runner, but not a run only threat, don't forget his pass to Custis for the first score of the second half. I think he could actually be more dangerous in those type of packages, red zone on the field with DeVito! the possibilities are endless .

TD came in, dropped back and threw bombs on almost every play, in a position in the game where that was maybe our only option AND UNC still couldn't stop him. So the idea that UNC wasn't prepared for TD is silly. Every snap I knew what the play was, 5 step drop and sling the ball. We ran the ball once, that was after like 10+ balls thrown 20 yards down the field.

I get why people are saying what they’re saying. There are pieces of me that agree. But I don’t think it’s nearly as solidified as it’s being described.

This board is going to be a nuclear mine field all week... hot take city.

I’m just happy we’re 5-2 and have some kids who can play QB... young and talented team. It’s fun to watch.

Love Dungey, love wins more. Love Devito’s moxy and zip, don’t love other things. Dino’s gonna play whoever he feels gives us the best chance.

I think that in the last three weeks, Eric has thrown only 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions.
He has shown some really bad judgment, as he has gotten frustrated with himself.

I think DeVito starts against NC State, and until otherwise (i.e. poor play or a big hit), he's the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Eric has been hurt all season. Teams have figured out to take away the run, and we are a shadow of who we were early in the season.

Would DeVito have put up a W v directional MI, wags and storz st??

I don't know and with all due respect, you don't either. I think he could have but we also know very well, he may have not.

Would Dungey have put up a W v Florida St and North Carolina??

Dungey did put up a W against UNC, so I'm not sure I understand your question.

DeVito would’ve beat pitt and if he went in for the ‘save’ against Clemson, we would be set to ruin espns holiday plans.

Dude, you don't know that. You THINK he probably would have, which is fine, but it's an opinion not a fact. OBVIOUSLY.

I think that in the last three weeks, Eric has thrown only 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions.
He has shown some really bad judgment, as he has gotten frustrated with himself.

I think DeVito starts against NC State, and until otherwise (i.e. poor play or a big hit), he's the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Eric has been hurt all season. Teams have figured out to take away the run, and we are a shadow of who we were early in the season.
Fair points, and I respect the opinion.

10,000 foot view, I’ll be surprised if Dino rolls out Tommy tuddies to start. Just my guess.

I get why people are saying what they’re saying. There are pieces of me that agree. But I don’t think it’s nearly as solidified as it’s being described.

This board is going to be a nuclear mine field all week... hot take city.

I’m just happy we’re 5-2 and have some kids who can play QB... young and talented team. It’s fun to watch.

Love Dungey, love wins more. Love Devito’s moxy and zip, don’t love other things. Dino’s gonna play whoever he feels gives us the best chance.

I'm curious, with such a small sample size in relation to Devito, what "other" things don't you love about him?

I'm fine with DeVito starting the next game and that may very well be our best option moving forward. However, man alive are some of you overcorrecting. God help us if DeVito has a bad game.

I dont think there’s any shot tommt starts next week. That being said, Dungey’s leash is likely a quarter of what it was.

I'm curious, with such a small sample size in relation to Devito, what "other" things don't you love about him?
Exactly that... the small sample size and lack of experience... And I know there’s only one way to get experience.

The bate int yesterday was an example, which Eric was caught on last year too.

If a team brackets and forces the run, I think we could struggle. And although Tommy was firing the ball and can hit tight windows, I’m not sure if becoming one dimensional on offense with Devito at QB is less limiting than with ED.

Eric’s seen more things. And I think that even though he may be lesser of a passer, his running ability provides more options.

Again, these are just my musings... not sure what I would do without being at practice everyday. Maybe my concerns are completely unfounded, maybe they’re not.

Dungey did put up a W against UNC, so I'm not sure I understand your question.
giphy.gif.cf.gif

Question... Is devito's arm the difference maker for custis?

That TD where he drilled it high and custis went over the defender to pull it down... Exactly what we need from Custis... It was a throw ED can't make currently.

TDs first TD in OT was the same play Dungey threw the interception on against Pitt. Difference was there was no triple coverage, and TD made the quick read and put the ball where it should have been. He led the receiver to the back corner. Not sure ED would have put that ball in the same spot even with the additional time in the pocket. He was missing guys all day. Babers made the right call with the change. Had he done it early in the 4th, we may have won the game in regulation. Eric has just not been able to place his passes the past month.

I’m a huge Dungey fan. Love that kid. But giving coaches a deep
ball to worry about could open up our running lanes and also our short passing game. And we’ll need to be multi-dimensional the rest of the way. No gimmes left.

TDs first TD in OT was the same play Dungey threw the interception on against Pitt. Difference was there was no triple coverage, and TD made the quick read and put the ball where it should have been. He led the receiver to the back corner.

Also it was thrown to a WR that’s 6’5, not 5’10 or whatever. That helps on those type of throws.

I think that 4th and 9 play on Devito’s first drive is a TD if it was Custis running that route.

Because he is the leader of the team; because he has earned it; because bringing in DeVito changes the dynamics in such a pronounced way that it affords the Orange tremendous energy - as it did today
But he is hurt. He should sit until he isn’t hurt. Being a leader also means caring about the team thing and watching ED running to Tommy after Td pass was epic in my book and that’s being a leader. Start TD until ED is ok then figure it out.

Watching all the post game interviews it appears is Dino is still going to go with the senior Dungey as a starter. I hope he just has the common sense he did yesterday to pull him when he’s being ineffective and put Tommy in the game. I only wonder if we would not be 7-0 at this point if he had the smarts to do this the in the Clemson in Pitt games.

Eric Dungey Has been a great quarterback for this program no doubt about it. Clearly something is off with whatever injury he may or may not have with his shoulder as he is not anywhere close as accurate as what he was over the past three years.

Right now it is completely obvious from yesterday‘s performance out of Tommy with 180 yards three touchdowns in five minutes and two overtimes that he’s the guy that can move the ball better passing currently taking a new account all variables.

So do you know can start who he wants he just now has set a precedent that when he sees the offense stalling with Eric and he needs to put Tommy in to get it moving again. Recently a lot of teams have used two quarterbacks in similar fashion. You can work and I can work well. Especially if everybody’s on board.

I'm fine with DeVito starting the next game and that may very well be our best option moving forward. However, man alive are some of you overcorrecting. God help us if DeVito has a bad game.

Welcome to the forum. If there was anyone in Orange to receive that forward falling pass this thread would be about ED for president.

I really feel that both QB's are going to play a part in more wins this season. As much as I'm guilty of trying to parse their play I just want the team to be successful and whatever or whomever does that, I'm happy.

I truely would be okay with a bad game from devito. We can’t win any games left on the schedule with dungey. He can’t throw and they just stack the line. Devito will make big plus and he will make big mistakes. You take both with the understanding he’s our best option and the future.

This has been a fun read mostly. Important topic, so I may as well jump in. My best scenario for the future would be starting Dungey knowing he can take over a game, and believing this has also lit a spark under him to improve. Making the switch to Devito when the offense stalls as it recently has, and giving him quality time as a change-up for opposing D’s sounds good to me, too. But then I thought, didn’t Coach make that decision during the Western Michigan game? That was when Dungey came in to spark Devito’s stalled offense and pull the win out of a loss after WM got 20-something points in the 3rd quarter. I guess my real point is that everybody’s got part of the answer. I’m trusting the coaches. Might be a game-day decision - perfect for NC State.

Internet arguments are boring so I never post. But I gotta admit...you gotta know when it's time to join in an internet argument.

In the off-season, it was funny to me when some of you said Devito was going to take over the starting spot. I thought those were the people who were going to miss Dungey the most when he graduates. I laughed at ya, actually. But now, it's time. I was wrong. Devito should have the starter job.

I'm not "evaluate-QB-on-tape-guy". Love the game, love having moola on a game - although that's another thread...but when you see the ball jump out of Devito's hand...even I knew what I was watching. That ball was shot from a cannon.

It's time for a change. Painful but necessary. Dungey never ran a "Coach Dino offense". Coach has said several times (actually...put it in caps: SEVERAL TIMES!) that running backs run and His quarterbacks throw. We now have an OL that can push and "some" production from the running back spot. It can't be ignored though - Dungey is still the #1 rusher. So...he clearly has a place on the field even if he's not running the show.

There's a spot - somewhere - between "wild cat guy" and "starting QB". Even when Devito is the starter, we shouldn't completely minimize Dungey's contribution to "wild cat guy". That's insulting.

There's a middle ground and the staff may have figured it out during the bye. Dungey chose a bad game to struggle. November was going to be the month Dungey wrote his legacy. Well..."he was replaced as a starter by Devito, didn't quit, and was still a valuable play-maker" ain't all that bad, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom