The NCAA did not go far enough | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The NCAA did not go far enough

what do you think now that the bot is challenging the decision by the prez???what the hell does that tell you about the mindset out there??????????????

BOTs are different that Board of Directors of publicly traded companies.

The PSU President has been outstanding.

It's clear that the police were not called in 2001.

Why weren't they called in 1979, 1980, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, or 2010?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

They can talk all they want and do every interview they want. The program is dead. Ivan Miasel today laid it all out and he is 100% correct. He said PSU won't be good again till 2020 at the earliest and went through how that roster is going to change and when they are back at full scholarships they will be loaded with freshmen and sophomores and then it will take 2-3 years from that point depending on the quality of recruits they are landing.

And oh yeah...does anyone know if Bill O'Brien is actually a good coach? If he stinks or is just average it will be a total disaster! Everyone is assuming O'Brien will be good. He could be terrible for all anyone knows. He is a total unknown.

This year they could be OK because they technically are still at full strength and the fan base will be fueled for 1 year which might help carry them. But the long dark days are coming fast. And its tough to carry a chip on your shoulder for 4+ years.

I don't fault O'Brien for taking the job or doing what he needs to do to field a competitive team under the current circumstances, much like I don't blame lawyers for defending clearly guilty clients (although I can find amusement in how badly they perform in doing so, in the case of Lawyerin' Joe Amendola), but I have no problem rooting vociferously against his program for the rest of eternity.

And you seem to have a bug up your ass about a topic you have no control over. Enough of the 'string em up' BS. Penn State got the punishment they deserved. The whole town is chock full of delusional idiots but the NCAA was and is not going to banish them from college football for countless reasons, and there's nothing they can do to hammer reality into them. It's a societal problem, you're vastly overestimating the power of the NCAA, they're not magic psychiatrists. Get a freakin' grip and move on.
of course the ncaa cannot force "cultural change ". what it could have done was to provide a severe "societal response "to a unacceptable,hideous situation, and hope that the national CULTURE SHOCK TO PSU, may help in the long run- not immediately,nothing would have been lost. there exists tragic reality testing issues with psu.the prez gets it and they are bot are bailing out on him. by the way,i don't have control over the presidential election,the yankees,su football,bernie madoff,etc etc etc ---see where i'm going with this?

Sorry, but I disagree completely.

The goal is not to destroy a program - the goal is to express outrage for the inactions of the former PSU administration.

Besides the financial penalties that have been imposed, the PSU Football roster itself has been exposed in an unprecedented way. And the poachers are already at it.

O'Brien has every right to protect his team.

And besides, the networks, including the Big Ten Network and the teams that PSU will play would never agree to the TV black-out and the accompanying loss of revenue.

I agree. O'Brien HAS to be in salesman mode. And it's not as if the O'Brien appearance took place in a vacuum. Penn State has received, completely justifiably, as bad a publicity barrage as anyone possibly can. Is O'Brien supposed to keep quiet? Is ESPN not supposed to allow him on?

Let's face it. These guys are ALL salesmen. Some of them like, say, Bob Huggins, acknowledge it. Others, like say, Paterno, pretend to be something else altogether. Here's a great piece about this from the Harrisburg Patriot Ledger's David Jones. I especially liked the juxtaposition between Paterno and Barry Switzer:

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2012/07/switzer_huggins_paterno_et_al.html

And oh yeah...does anyone know if Bill O'Brien is actually a good coach? If he stinks or is just average it will be a total disaster! Everyone is assuming O'Brien will be good. He could be terrible for all anyone knows. He is a total unknown.

But he coached Tom Brady! For three years. That means he's great.

He'd better be great. They signed him to a 9-year contract. Holy crap, did Penn State panic. Understandable, I guess.

But he coached Tom Brady! For three years. That means he's great.

He'd better be great. They signed him to a 9-year contract. Holy crap, did Penn State panic. Understandable, I guess.
very understandable---stability

of course the ncaa cannot force "cultural change ". what it could have done was to provide a severe "societal response "to a unacceptable,hideous situation, and hope that the national CULTURE SHOCK TO PSU, may help in the long run- not immediately,nothing would have been lost. there exists tragic reality testing issues with psu.the prez gets it and they are bot are bailing out on him. by the way,i don't have control over the presidential election,the yankees,su football,bernie madoff,etc etc etc ---see where i'm going with this?

I hear ya, it can be enraging. But this win-at-all-costs mentality at the amateur (or any) level is not original to State College, PA. It is an epidemic (hyperbole alert) that exists in many places...including our very own fanbase (obviously to a much lesser extent). We all have to keep proper perspective because there's a very fine line between being extremely competitive / wanting to win so badly and sacrificing basic human fundamentals and values to do so.

very understandable---stability
You don't give an unproven coach a 9 year deal. That's stupid. He could be the next Greg Robinson for all anyone knows

You don't give an unproven coach a 9 year deal. That's stupid. He could be the next Greg Robinson for all anyone knows
you do in this situation and when you have the psu money to but him out if you choose--further---they will raise asst. coaches salaries as well in an attempt to stabilize.

His initial contract basically said that for ever year of any sanctions, those number of years would not count. Thus they added 4 years because there will be a 4 year period stating next year or the following where they will suck due to no fault of his own.

His initial contract basically said that for ever year of any sanctions, those number of years would not count. Thus they added 4 years because there will be a 4 year period stating next year or the following where they will suck due to no fault of his own.

That's a pretty good deal for him. Zero skin in the game. I guess the situation merits it.

Oh for him its a great deal. For PSU they could have found someone and not had to give them that kind of a deal. Silly on PSU's behalf. I know they were in an impossible spot but still, that doesn't mean you give out a bad contract. Oh well, just another problem for them! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom