The NCAA did not go far enough | Syracusefan.com

The NCAA did not go far enough

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Today, Bill O' Brien, the new head coach at Ped U, has taken to the air to get his message out. On ESPN with Mike & Mike he was calling out to all Ped St alums to dive in, not to put their big toes in the water, to get fully engaged in bringing back their program. One of his recruiting pitches is that the players get to play in front of national TV audiences and have 6 games with 108,000+ and play for a coaching staff that can get them into the pros. They will form their own bowls by playing Hawaii as their last game.

Mike & Mike concluded that Bill O' Brien will be doing live TV & radio all day. These outlets are being used as a tool for Ped St just days after being punished. In addition, the networks must give equal time to all D1 football programs to get their messages across to recruits & alums.

I say the NCAA should bar them from being on TV for four years.

Yep. O'Brien is doing a great job golding the current players together. The players made a joint statement pledging their support to the program. There were 30+ there so I don't know how many weren't and why. O'brien has convinced them that the bowl games are no big deal.

The TV ban should have been put in place.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I heard that while I was driving in to work too. While I understand that it's O'Brien's job to maintain and improve the program, it just sounded callous. The "form our own bowls" thing in particular is awful - especially if they do get to play in Hawaii, which would give them the right to schedule an additional home game.:bang:

Today, Bill O' Brien, the new head coach at Ped U, has taken to the air to get his message out. On ESPN with Mike & Mike he was calling out to all Ped St alums to dive in, not to put their big toes in the water, to get fully engaged in bringing back their program. One of his recruiting pitches is that the players get to play in front of national TV audiences and have 6 games with 108,000+ and play for a coaching staff that can get them into the pros. They will form their own bowls by playing Hawaii as their last game.

Mike & Mike concluded that Bill O' Brien will be doing live TV & radio all day. These outlets are being used as a tool for Ped St just days after being punished. In addition, the networks must give equal time to all D1 football programs to get their messages across to recruits & alums.

The tv people want PSU to be relevant. It is in their best intere$t.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, but I disagree completely.

The goal is not to destroy a program - the goal is to express outrage for the inactions of the former PSU administration.

Besides the financial penalties that have been imposed, the PSU Football roster itself has been exposed in an unprecedented way. And the poachers are already at it.

O'Brien has every right to protect his team.

And besides, the networks, including the Big Ten Network and the teams that PSU will play would never agree to the TV black-out and the accompanying loss of revenue.

It's the Penn State Way.

I wish some of you guys were over near Albany. I just got back home from a business appointment and on the way back was listening to the local talk radio station. The focus of the show today was the NCAA penalties... to be precise, how wrongheaded they were in that they punished the innocent students and current team. The radio host (Melody Burns?) was absolutely clueless, as were the callers I heard before I turned off the radio in disgust.

I never thought of Albany as an extension of Happy Valley, but after this morning's experience I've got to wonder.

Sorry, but I disagree completely.

The goal is not to destroy a program - the goal is to express outrage for the inactions of the former PSU administration.

Besides the financial penalties that have been imposed, the PSU Football roster itself has been exposed in an unprecedented way. And the poachers are already at it.

O'Brien has every right to protect his team.

And besides, the networks, including the Big Ten Network and the teams that PSU will play would never agree to the TV black-out and the accompanying loss of revenue.
the financial penalty was insignificant for psu and they probably had that covered before the day was out.---the goal is to destroy the program in its current form and nothing short of the death penalty was warranted to drive the point home . as it is they still don't get it.it neede to be born again, the fans are the biggest obstacle now, and its up to psu to address that issue --which it will not

And he mentioned that in lieu of bowl games, P$U will reward their players and fans with late-season games in warm environments.

Look for UCF, Florida Atlantic, Hawaii, San Diego State, UTEP, and Tulane to start appearing on the Puke State schedules.

And he mentioned that in lieu of bowl games, P$U will reward their players and fans with late-season games in warm environments.

Look for UCF, Florida Atlantic, Hawaii, San Diego State, UTEP, and Tulane to start appearing on the Puke State schedules.
Huge props to any of those schools that make a statement that they will not schedule such a game with Penn State.

I totally agree. There should have been a TV ban. If these kids are still on TV every week, it's like they're being denied one game at the end of the season. That's it. They'll be back as a program in no time. State college, low tuition, wealthy donors - we'll see an army of walk-ons who are Div 1 caliber athletes. This is really not that bad except for the money, and they'll make that back in time. I would hope TV would CHOOSE to boycott or not carry the games.

the financial penalty was insignificant for psu and they probably had that covered before the day was out.---the goal is to destroy the program in its current form and nothing short of the death penalty was warranted to drive the point home . as it is they still don't get it.it neede to be born again, the fans are the biggest obstacle now, and its up to psu to address that issue --which it will not

What do you mean by "destroy the program in its current form?"

You will never destroy the "We are Penn State" mentality and why would you want to. The reaction is what would you expect from a fan base that was convinced they did it the right way only discover that it was never what it seemed. I remember what I felt like with the Bernie Fine revelations. This was Bernie Fine to the 10th power. What needs to go is the Cult of Paterno.

@McMurphyCBS: Penn State players statement: "One man didn't build this program & one man sure as hell cannot tear it down."

Whomever this player is, he is correct. It was not one man. It was an institution and in many ways a community. That was the biggest problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You will never destroy the "We are Penn State" mentality and why would you want to. The reaction is what would you expect from a fan base that was convinced they did it the right way only discover that it was never what it seemed. I remember what I felt like with the Bernie Fine revelations. This was Bernie Fine to the 10th power. What needs to go is the Cult of Paterno.
As long as the "shame of what happened is ignored the "we are Penn State mentality will endure. Its necessary in the long and short run to use the reference to PennState as a reference to the horror of P e d o p h I l I alike OJ is to getting away with murder.:confused::mad:

Does anyone really think Hawaii is dumb enough to get in the way of Penn State trying to get out of the way of the NCAA dropping the hammer?

I just don't see it that way.

There is no need to destroy the program.

And I don't see how you can conclude that the "point has not been driven home"

First, the perpretrator is in jail.

Second, a co-conspirator in the so-called cover up is dead.

Thrid, two other co-conspirators and likely a third are about to be prosecuted and put in jail.

Fourth, the victims - maybe not all but many - will recover large damages awards.

And, fifith, the NCAA has taken action.

Indeed, suspect that all of that will help "drive the point home."

I think what many fail to recognize is that when a guy like Reggie Bush takes money, he faces no criminal penalty or civil penalty. And when something like that happens, the coaches rarely if ever suffer any consequence. Certainly Pete Carroll didn't.

To a certain extent it is for that reason that the school is penalized - taking away bowl games or scholarships is the only available penalty.

That is not the case in this instance.

So, again, I think the point has been driven home and I think there is no need or desire to destroy the PSU Football Program.

Thrid, two other co-conspirators and likely a third are about to be prosecuted and put in jail.

Fourth, the victims - maybe not all but many - will recover large damages awards.

I think what many fail to recognize is that when a guy like Reggie Bush takes money, he faces no criminal penalty or civil penalty. And when something like that happens, the coaches rarely if ever suffer any consequence. Certainly Pete Carroll didn't.

To a certain extent it is for that reason that the school is penalized - taking away bowl games or scholarships is the only available penalty.

So, again, I think the point has been driven home and I think there is no need or desire to destroy the PSU Football Program.

Television money is at the root of all this evil, and any punishment that does not include a television ban is almost meaningless. The money will be earned back or donated in short order. Loss of 10 scholarships a year sounds terrible, but you can find 10 players who qualify for grants in aid, or who can otherwise afford to walk on. If they're still on TV, then the NCAA didn't do its job.

what do you think now that the bot is challenging the decision by the prez???what the hell does that tell you about the mindset out there??????????????

What do you mean by "destroy the program in its current form?"
you seem to ask a lot of questions but offer little ---given the current action by the bot, what does that tell you ???they need new bot,coaches,oversight, and deal with student population distorted perception. great example by the bot to the students on how to perseverate the denial, and they still not have concern about the severity. denial is unbelievable. i guess the kids in this are all but forgotten with the 60mil that is merely a slap on the wrist.

you seem to ask a lot of questions but offer little ---given the current action by the bot, what does that tell you ???they need new bot,coaches,oversight, and deal with student population distorted perception. great example by the bot to the students on how to perseverate the denial, and they still not have concern about the severity. denial is unbelievable. i guess the kids in this are all but forgotten with the 60mil that is merely a slap on the wrist.

And you seem to have a bug up your ass about a topic you have no control over. Enough of the 'string em up' BS. Penn State got the punishment they deserved. The whole town is chock full of delusional idiots but the NCAA was and is not going to banish them from college football for countless reasons, and there's nothing they can do to hammer reality into them. It's a societal problem, you're vastly overestimating the power of the NCAA, they're not magic psychiatrists. Get a freakin' grip and move on.

what do you think now that the bot is challenging the decision by the prez???what the hell does that tell you about the mindset out there??????????????

I haven't heard the news so I can't comment on it specifically, but if it is true it tells me that members of the BOT either feel that the school was not afforded due process - it was given no chance to be heard.

Or it tells me that members of the BOT feel that the punishment I specified above - jail, death, civil damages - mitigates against the kind of penalty that the NCAA imposed.

It may also indicate that the BOT is concerned that the NCAA acted too quickly - in part because Emmert had plans to travel to London for the Olympics, etc.

It certainly does not suggest to me what you might feel it suggests - that some smart people who run the University do not care about kids.

So, you're saying you don't believe there was a cover-up?

I think your really parsing my words well beyond their meaning.

It's clear that the police were not called in 2001.

It's also clear that the police and the county were involved in 1998.

Precisely what was said or what the motivations were or whether there was a full-fledged "conspiracy" that certain people joined, has not yet been fully established.

I think your really parsing my words well beyond their meaning.

It's clear that the police were not called in 2001.

It's also clear that the police and the county were involved in 1998.

Precisely what was said or what the motivations were or whether there was a full-fledged "conspiracy" that certain people joined, has not yet been fully established.
So, let me parse this statement. You're saying that, given the Freeh report that concluded that Curley, after 'talking to Joe', decided they should take a different tack and NOT contact the authorities and deal with 'the issue' internally, this would not be considered a cover-up? And the President of the university agreed with him.

Was it proved in a court of law? No. But it was the conclusion of the former director of the FBI that a cover up occurred, that child rape THAT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED was not. Please tell me how this is parsing your words as opposed to closing your eyes to what actually happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom