The New Guys: Michael Gbinije | Syracusefan.com

The New Guys: Michael Gbinije

SWC75

Bored Historian
Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Michael Gbinije
(This is Volume 1- look to the right for Volumes 2- 6)

Again, it’s high school completion, but I see everything I’d want to see in a basketball player here:
1) Ball-handling, (he’s 6-7 but has a relatively low dribble like Billy Owens). He can bring the ball up-court and initiate the offense. He can drive to the basket. He can use the dribble to set up his shot. If he’s isolated on one defender that, (high school), guy is toast.
2) Shooting. I saw three pointers going down. The form looked good and he wasn’t taking a tour of the rim. I saw pull-up jumpers. I saw some spectacular dunks. He finishes with either hand. He has an acrobat’s sense of balance. He uses the glass. He can go coast-to-coast. He can get fouled and still score.
3) Rebounding. Highlight tapes don’t show too many defensive rebounds but this Mike likes to go to the offensive boards, especially for dunks. He seems to have a knack for timing his moves to the basket.
4) Passing. He sees the whole court and can pass through (high school) traffic to open guys. He can at either end of an alley-oop.
5) Defense. There were several blocks, (“G” as I’ve decided to call him, has some hops), and steals. He shows good anticipation. In Volume 5, he blocks a jump shot on the perimeter, (as we’ve been doing in the tournament) but turns it not a steal and dunk. He also blocks a shot from behind. He’ll be a great “help” defender like Wes Johnson was.

What’s not to like? He seems to have a good motor and high basketball IQ. He’s not skinny but not bulky either. I can’t tell if he has MCW’s freakish arm span but he’s no alligator. He looks like a star. (That public address guy must have gotten sick of shouting “MICHAEL GBINIJE” And a player who could play multiple positions, including point guard. If we’d had him against Michigan, we’d have won. Easily. (I think: Michigan is not a high school team.)

One thing I have noticed is elevation, doesn't seem to get very far up for a 6'6 - 6'7 player. Maybe it's just me...?

SWC75, nice work as always. Look forward to reading all your posts in the off season. Thank you for all you do it is very much appreciated!

I think he can be an impact player for us next year.

On a side note look at the 1:47 mark. Two separate defenders completely stop playing defense to unsuccessfully try to draw a charge. Good to see high school players recognize how to play good "defense." Must have learned that from watching NCAA games. What a joke taking charges has become in basketball!

One thing I have noticed is elevation, doesn't seem to get very far up for a 6'6 - 6'7 player. Maybe it's just me...?

I thought the same thing, but when you watch a few of his dunks he is throwing it down hard with ease.

He seems to be quicker than most of the 6-7 athletes we have recruited lately. Don't flame me, but his size and skill set reminds me of a certain number 15. Granted as was posted it is against HS comp.

As long as they keep the basket at 10 feet he'll be fine. Plenty of dunks in those highlights.

As long as they keep the basket at 10 feet he'll be fine. Plenty of dunks in those highlights.

Also as long as finishes these dunks...lol

Here's something from a Duke-related thing, not sure exactly what it is. He will just fine handling the ball as the other guard, probably even at point.

I don't understand why there isn't more excitement over "G". He was a big time recruit that didn't fit in at Duke but K sent him with his blessing when he wanted to transfer. K surely told JB what the deal was and if t was bad he wouldn't have wound up at SU. Also we recruited him pretty heavily until he committed to Duke if I recall so he is a system guy who will have a year under the winningest coach of all time followed by a year apprenticeship in our system under the 2nd winningest coach of all time. We are getting a High School all American Type talent with two years of physical and mental development under his belt to go with a year practicing what the staff wants him to.

I don't understand why there isn't more excitement over "G". He was a big time recruit that didn't fit in at Duke but K sent him with his blessing when he wanted to transfer. K surely told JB what the deal was and if t was bad he wouldn't have wound up at SU. Also we recruited him pretty heavily until he committed to Duke if I recall so he is a system guy who will have a year under the winningest coach of all time followed by a year apprenticeship in our system under the 2nd winningest coach of all time. We are getting a High School all American Type talent with two years of physical and mental development under his belt to go with a year practicing what the staff wants him to.

I wonder what happened at Duke. The guy looks like a superstar on the tape, (even given that it's a high school tape). :noidea:

I wonder what happened at Duke. The guy looks like a superstar on the tape, (even given that it's a high school tape). :noidea:

I remember hearing something about defense was suspect.

RSCI had him at 28th in his class. We would have done a little dance if he had come to us out of high school. I think he got overlooked by most fans because he is a transfer. But we are getting a Redshirt sophomore who played for Duke for a year and then got to learn at the feet of our own HOF Coach. He will be a real asset next year.

I remember hearing something about defense was suspect.

Well, if only his Man to Man is suspect, that won't bother us much.

Well, if only his Man to Man is suspect, that won't bother us much.

That's what I heard I think, his man defense was bad, so hopefully he can get the zone d down. Which shouldn't be a very big problem.

Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Michael Gbinije
(This is Volume 1- look to the right for Volumes 2- 6)

Again, it’s high school completion, but I see everything I’d want to see in a basketball player here:
1)Ball-handling, (he’s 6-7 but has a relatively low dribble like Billy Owens). He can bring the ball up-court and initiate the offense. He can drive to the basket. He can use the dribble to set up his shot. If he’s isolated on one defender that, (high school), guy is toast.
2)Shooting. I saw three pointers going down. The form looked good and he wasn’t taking a tour of the rim. I saw pull-up jumpers. I saw some spectacular dunks. He finishes with either hand. He has an acrobat’s sense of balance. He uses the glass. He can go coast-to-coast. He can get fouled and still score.
3)Rebounding. Highlight tapes don’t show too many defensive rebounds but this Mike likes to go to the offensive boards, especially for dunks. He seems to have a knack for timing his moves to the basket.
4)Passing. He sees the whole court and can pass through (high school) traffic to open guys. He can at either end of an alley-oop.
5)Defense. There were several blocks, (“G” as I’ve decided to call him, has some hops), and steals. He shows good anticipation. In Volume 5, he blocks a jump shot on the perimeter, (as we’ve been doing in the tournament) but turns it not a steal and dunk. He also blocks a shot from behind. He’ll be a great “help” defender like Wes Johnson was.

What’s not to like? He seems to have a good motor and high basketball IQ. He’s not skinny but not bulky either. I can’t tell if he has MCW’s freakish arm span but he’s no alligator. He looks like a star. (That public address guy must have gotten sick of shouting “MICHAEL GBINIJE” And a player who could play multiple positions, including point guard. If we’d had him against Michigan, we’d have won. Easily. (I think: Michigan is not a high school team.)
What is his height? I've heard everything from 6'5" to 6'7". I suppose that we have to wait until he gets drafted to find out the truth?

I'd kill to see a back court of MCW/silent G

This is a bold statement but if we have those two as our starting backcourt next year I'd LOVE our chances of cutting down the nets.

I'm real excited for Gbinije. I've walked by him this past year and he's a legit 6'6-7 and decently filled out and built. In his interviews he has a lot of swag and toughness that will be fun to have on our side. I mean he's got great size, will basically be a junior, was highly regarded in high school and I think it was something as simple as he just wasn't a good system fit for Duke. I think he'll be chomping at the bit to get out there and show what he can do too. He sounds like he's working hard and probably has a chip on his shoulder because of how his freshman year at Duke went and people have kinda forgot about him now. Despite losing an awful lot with Brandon and MCW I think with Ennis and Gbinije next year we'll have a pretty exciting, fun, and productive backcourt.

I've been excited about him since pre-season this year. He is going to be a stud and another "where did that guy come from" type player that BE foes always say JB "stashes" someplace. It's almost too bad we won't be in the BE again because of that, but on the other hand I feel like ND is one of those teams that every year is saying "Oh thank goodness Cuse doesn't have player X anymore" and then we roll out a Wes Johnson, GMac, Billy E, Donte Greene, Flynn, Dion, MCW, etc on them and they're like "What!?"

In recent years JB hasn't used anybody as a guard/forward. Its one or the other but I do thing Gbinije at 6'61/2 is almost right on the cusp.

My first thought with him was speed. He looked like he LOVES to run and can run (not jog) forever at midnight madness. Remidned me of Josh Pace hustle on offense and someone that is going to love transition. Fumbled the ball some, but it was the first practice.

My thinking for next eyar:

Centers: Coleman, Christmas and Keita with Obokoh redshirting. Coleman comes on strong and takes over the position unless his defense continues to hold him back.

Power Forward: Grant, (who becomes a star) and Roberson

Small Forward: CJ and BJ, quite a combination.

Shooting Guard: Buss blows by Cooney

Point guard: Gbinije, who blows up big and Ennis, who may have to wait his turn.

Plenty of size, talent and depth, (much more than this year), more firepower and another great season.

This is a bold statement but if we have those two as our starting backcourt next year I'd LOVE our chances of cutting down the nets.

I'm real excited for Gbinije. I've walked by him this past year and he's a legit 6'6-7 and decently filled out and built. In his interviews he has a lot of swag and toughness that will be fun to have on our side. I mean he's got great size, will basically be a junior, was highly regarded in high school and I think it was something as simple as he just wasn't a good system fit for Duke. I think he'll be chomping at the bit to get out there and show what he can do too. He sounds like he's working hard and probably has a chip on his shoulder because of how his freshman year at Duke went and people have kinda forgot about him now. Despite losing an awful lot with Brandon and MCW I think with Ennis and Gbinije next year we'll have a pretty exciting, fun, and productive backcourt.
I'm most excited about this addition to the team. I think the PT issue at Duke last season is a non-issue - he was the odd man out similar to MCW as a freshman. He was recruited as a SF but wanted to be a SG on a team that already had Austin Rivers, Quinn Cook, Tyler Thornton, Seth Curry, and Andrew Dawkins

My thinking for next eyar:

Centers: Coleman, Christmas and Keita with Obokoh redshirting. Coleman comes on strong and takes over the position unless his defense continues to hold him back.

Power Forward: Grant, (who becomes a star) and Roberson

Small Forward: CJ and BJ, quite a combination.

Shooting Guard: Buss blows by Cooney

Point guard: Gbinije, who blows up big and Ennis, who may have to wait his turn.

Plenty of size, talent and depth, (much more than this year), more firepower and another great season.

Wow, it hasn't even occurred to me that Ennis might not start... But I agree that we will have a rotation of four at guard. JB doesn't have any perfect solutions that are obvious now, so all will get a chance, and some games will have different rotations depending on the hot hand and matchups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom