The new landscape in college basketball | Syracusefan.com

The new landscape in college basketball

Jake

Mod
So, here is the new reality. Kids who are marginal NBA draft picks but great college players are getting paid big bucks to stay in school.

If you are one of those guys, you can get guaranteed seven figure income by staying in school these days. It’s itabsolutely insane.

Feel bad for those guys that played over the last decade that did not get that benefit.

But yeah that is absolutely insane. And here I am as a 32 year old, sitting there at a 9-5.

Thanks a lot mom and dad for not being more genetically gifted.

So, here is the new reality. Kids who are marginal NBA draft picks but great college players are getting paid big bucks to stay in school.

If you are one of those guys, you can get guaranteed seven figure income by staying in school these days. It’s itabsolutely insane.

I don't see how it's sustainable long term.

1667496265190.jpeg

Tangentially, and I'm not sure if anyone else is in the same camp, but I'm a Syracuse basketball fan and an NBA fan (and Knicks).

I am not really a huge college basketball fan anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch all sports and of course watch the tourney and big games, but I don't enjoy the college game, I think it's bad basketball.

This extra layer with the NIL (which I'm in agreement with), just adds to my divorcing from my non-Cuse college bball viewing.

The quality of the actual basketball is going to get better in this landscape.

Fringe NBA guys staying 3-4 years will more than makeup for the talent college hoops will miss when the one and done is gone. That also lessens roster turnover on the best teams which better spreads the talent out across the sport.

I’m a college hoops junkie and while I’m not exactly thrilled with the direction that everything is headed my interest level hasn’t dropped a bit.

I don't see how it's sustainable long term.
I was wondering the same thing about all of the crazy buyouts for college football coaches. Auburn has paid out over $50 million. Can there really be that much money to pay for all f this stuff?

So take the last 19 years worth of one-and-dones (or maybe 2 and dones) out of cbb. It's a difficult exercise to picture, but I think it's a better product than what was produced.

I say this as a casual cbb viewer.

It all seems another way of saying that the best players remaining in college will get paid the most through NIL compensation.

That way we may go back to a simpler time when the big scandals were doctoring a player's grades or getting someone else to do a paper for him.

The quality of the actual basketball is going to get better in this landscape.

Fringe NBA guys staying 3-4 years will more than makeup for the talent college hoops will miss when the one and done is gone. That also lessens roster turnover on the best teams which better spreads the talent out across the sport.

I’m a college hoops junkie and while I’m not exactly thrilled with the direction that everything is headed my interest level hasn’t dropped a bit.

I hope that's the case. Would be awesome for those that still are deep into the full breadth of the college game.

Would be a nice silver lining after all this mayhem.

Let's not forget the transfer portal has affected the landscape. Where some mid majors could build continuity with some real solid four year players. But now, a kid like Joe Cremo leaves UAlbany to barely play at Nova. UAlbany doesn't have a good year and the coach's job is in jeopardy. Or a high major program has kids transfer because they want to play 30+ minutes a game instead of 20+. Harder to build real depth.

Some programs always paid players, either directly or indirectly. I'm okay with that as long as the program you follow are playing by the same rules as the cheaters.

We keep playing like we have been, and they should start paying the fans for supporting this ugly ball.

I was wondering the same thing about all of the crazy buyouts for college football coaches. Auburn has paid out over $50 million. Can there really be that much money to pay for all f this stuff?
Yes, there is.

TAX THE BILLIONAIRES

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom