The next two games are the key to the season. | Syracusefan.com

The next two games are the key to the season.

GoSU96

Living Legend
It will take a string of disasters for this team not to get to the min 6 wins. If they can get to 7-2 we are looking at buzz and attention not seen here in years.

When you look at their stats Louisville and Uconn are the same team, and you can add Rutgers to that mix. Rookie not so great QB's, overall horrible offenses that struggle to score points paired with very, very, tough and stingy defenses that keep them in games.

Against WVU SU mauled a finess team. The next two games are going to be against teams that want to slug it out, make it ugly and have a chance in the 4th. Now we will see just how mulitple the offense and defense each are and if SU can get comfortable leads into the 4th and pull away from teams that can't play catch up.

People ask what the offensive system is, and that answer is, whatever will work against the schemes and matchups they are looking at that week.

The defense is just as "multiple". One week they are in a base 4-3, the next they are playing a 46 style with everybody up on the line and attacking from all over, the next they are basing out of dime personnel and sitting a LB for almost the whole game who has been making plays from the very first game.

Lets not look past Louisville.

The way SU's had WVU's "number" the past 2 seasons is the same way that LVille has SU's "number". They have athletes.

P and Strong are much more competent as head coaches than the mullet. P especially will have extra time to prepare and i imagine he is going to have his guys ready for syracuse.

Louisville got re-energized with their win over Rutgirls. I expect a decent crowd and a team fighting for its' bowl life. A win over Cuse and they are looking good at 4-4. They lose they have their backs to the wall at 3-5. I expect a close, hard fought win.

Lets not look past Louisville.

The way SU's had WVU's "number" the past 2 seasons is the same way that LVille has SU's "number". They have athletes.

Not looking past, just looking at reality. SU is a better offensive team than they were last year. Biggest indicator, scoring 7.5pts more per game. The pass game is improved, and they are much better at preventing negative plays, big improvement in sacks allowed and they are now 8th lowest in the country for tackles for a loss allowed.

L'ville still has a very good defense, but the offense has fallen off the table. Their rushing per game is down 30% from last year, they are allowing 2.5x more sacks per game than last year, and the biggest thing is they are scoring 10pts less a game this year, and they are 102nd in tackles for loss allowed. All that tells me is that they have had a major fall off in OL play and that is in front of a rookie QB.

Not looking past, just looking at reality. SU is a better offensive team than they were last year. Biggest indicator, scoring 7.5pts more per game. The pass game is improved, and they are much better at preventing negative plays, big improvement in sacks allowed and they are now 8th lowest in the country for tackles for a loss allowed.

L'ville still has a very good defense, but the offense has fallen off the table. Their rushing per game is down 30% from last year, they are allowing 2.5x more sacks per game than last year, and the biggest thing is they are scoring 10pts less a game this year, and they are 102nd in tackles for loss allowed. All that tells me is that they have had a major fall off in OL play and that is in front of a rookie QB.

What may be even more impressive is how much better our schedule this year is, and the improvement we've seen in the offensive numbers. It really is going under-appreciated.

...important yes, the whole season depends on these two games--definitely not...it is going to depend on which, if any, game we lo0se...my expectations is we loose only one more game this season--and hopefully not the one that costs the BE title...so beat Cincy, beat Louisville...and the other contenders knock each other off...and we should be in as long as Rutgirls loose one more...WVU please get this over with this week...go 'Cuse

I think the next 2 games will determine the crowds for the next home game.

I think the biggest question the next two weeks is will the offense try and get big plays and outscore UCONN and Lville or will we retreat into a much more conservative game plan, keep the game close, play the field position and try to win a 17-14 type game or will we try and win a 38-14 type game.. I am not criticizing here as Marrone has been good in close games but Lville and UCONN would be happier with a low scoring type game, I think their Defense has been good but they lost their best corner... The Big East is a toss up and nothing would surprise me here. Lville and UConn play very good defense

I think Smith and Moore could see 5-6 carries a piece for this game as well...

53rd in scoring offense. 36th against BCS teams (29.5 ppg) even though they're only 74th in yards. making the most of the yards they get and kobena and graham are helping a lot on kickoff returns. defensive TD helps too but lots of teams have those.

i still think over time, yards and points paths tend to converge but i'm not complaining.

I will jump off a building if we lose to UConn. They are horrendous.

They are not horrendous, they aren't a great team but anytime you have a good defense you can win a few games.. SU is an underdog versus LVille and could be versus UCONN as well, the Big East is really 8 teams that can beat anyone in the conference... Nothing would surprise me in the next two.. UCONN also gets 9 days for the SU game

uconn could be a terrible weather game.. a cold clammy rainy nov game should be expected..

UL is just a game where we cant give it away like the rutgers game.. Rutgers at least comes after you, UL not nearly as much. make UL drive the field and they can only do that 1-2 times a game on average. rutgers ran 95 plays against us to gain 300 yds.. they had 63 to gain 300 vs UL.. UL makes you stop the run. marshall, UNC, cinci shut them down pretty good. can we do it as well without giving up the home run pass.

One week can be a trend in college football, and Louisville rushed for 175 against Rutgers, the kid who had a good game against us last year, Wright, had a good game. They have to try to pound it down our throat, given the freshman QB.

Our corners are going to be awfully lonely on Saturday.

Our offense suddenly became more difficult to plan for. Not for it's dynamic playmakers, but more because of the fact that there are now so many different players who you have to try to defend.

I will jump off a building if we lose to UConn. They are horrendous.

Sounds familiar.

You better be prepared to follow through on that.

:D

UL is just a game where we cant give it away like the rutgers game.. Rutgers at least comes after you, UL not nearly as much. make UL drive the field and they can only do that 1-2 times a game on average. rutgers ran 95 plays against us to gain 300 yds.. they had 63 to gain 300 vs UL.. UL makes you stop the run. marshall, UNC, cinci shut them down pretty good. can we do it as well without giving up the home run pass.
or like the UL games the last two years :bang:

Coach DM always says you want to make sure you dont lose after a loss...wonder what he will say about winning the next game after a big win?

Depends on one's expectations. If you think that this is a rebuild year still and as long as we get to 6 Ws it is still an acceptable season, then the Louisville game doesn't mean a whole lot. However if you have thrown out your early expectations and what a big season then the Louisville season is the key to that.

We just came off a high and are entering a slug fest on the road. I will be disappointed if he lose. And think we should win. But I also realize there is a really good chance we lose this one. Until our team can prove that we are consistent, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves.

Depends on one's expectations. If you think that this is a rebuild year still and as long as we get to 6 Ws it is still an acceptable season, then the Louisville game doesn't mean a whole lot. However if you have thrown out your early expectations and what a big season then the Louisville season is the key to that.

We just came off a high and are entering a slug fest on the road. I will be disappointed if he lose. And think we should win. But I also realize there is a really good chance we lose this one. Until our team can prove that we are consistent, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves.

Agree 100%. consistency is the key here... I just dont know why we would concede a slug fest of the offense is to turn a corner... I am not saying the corner needs to be the WVU game performance but it should be scoring 31-35 points and making Louisville counter, giving Ville a slugfest, low scoring game is exacyly what they are looking for and that will be a lose within a game, IMO. You don't get better as a program that way

I hear that. But I'd like to think it's one of those cases where we are developing on offense (yes likely with overachievement on Friday). Developing new weapons, like Dorian. Making Provo even more of a threat for opposing DCs. The OL coming together, I actually think they've improved each week for the most part.

I don't expect the offense to put up 42 and 450 yards each game from here on out. But closer to say, 30 and 400 each week. Confidence should start improving, there is a lot of experience on this offense, and the defenses we're playing wouldn't scare anyone.

I know Saturday will look a lot different, Louisville will be much more physical. But we're physical too, and more talented. Time to go on a roll... See you all in Miami on Jan 4. Pack light.

I hear that. But I'd like to think it's one of those cases where we are developing on offense (yes likely with overachievement on Friday). Developing new weapons, like Dorian. Making Provo even more of a threat for opposing DCs. The OL coming together, I actually think they've improved each week for the most part.

I don't expect the offense to put up 42 and 450 yards each game from here on out. But closer to say, 30 and 400 each week. Confidence should start improving, there is a lot of experience on this offense, and the defenses we're playing wouldn't scare anyone.

I know Saturday will look a lot different, Louisville will be much more physical. But we're physical too, and more talented. Time to go on a roll... See you all in Miami on Jan 4. Pack light.

Bringing a toothbrush and credit card... oh yeah and my wife...

They are not horrendous, they aren't a great team but anytime you have a good defense you can win a few games.. SU is an underdog versus LVille and could be versus UCONN as well, the Big East is really 8 teams that can beat anyone in the conference... Nothing would surprise me in the next two.. UCONN also gets 9 days for the SU game

No, they are horrendous.

They are 104 in total offense, giving up 3.5 sacks per game and their special teams are very week.

Yes, they play some tough run defense, but their pass defense is ranked #99. I am very confident we can pass on them all day long. I wouldn't have said that last year at this time.

Two of their wins are against Fordham and Buffalo. Their other win is against USF last week. That shouldn't be a surprise as USF is in their normal mid-season swoon.

No, they are horrendous.

They are 104 in total offense, giving up 3.5 sacks per game and their special teams are very week.

Yes, they play some tough run defense, but their pass defense is ranked #99. I am very confident we can pass on them all day long. I wouldn't have said that last year at this time.

Two of their wins are against Fordham and Buffalo. Their other win is against USF last week. That shouldn't be a surprise as USF is in their normal mid-season swoon.

They are well coached and getting better, the Big east is what it is but if UCONN is horrendous then we are too. Only real difference I see between UCONN and Syracuse is the QB and we now have one fast wide receiver who has opened some stuff up for us...

I think the biggest question the next two weeks is will the offense try and get big plays and outscore UCONN and Lville or will we retreat into a much more conservative game plan, keep the game close, play the field position and try to win a 17-14 type game or will we try and win a 38-14 type game.. I am not criticizing here as Marrone has been good in close games but Lville and UCONN would be happier with a low scoring type game, I think their Defense has been good but they lost their best corner... The Big East is a toss up and nothing would surprise me here. Lville and UConn play very good defense

I think Smith and Moore could see 5-6 carries a piece for this game as well...

We can't play the field position game. Although our return game has been quite solid, the kicking game this year has been mediocre to awful. Our punting has been putrid and consistently inconsistent. You are not going to win many "field position games" when you are trading off 30 yard net punts for 40+ net punts.

We had two weeks to work on execution for WV. That won't happen this week. We played a team that has a small front 3. That won't happen this week. We played a team that is soft and had their will easily beaten. That won't happen this week. We had a lot of plays break our way. That won't happen this week. We converted an insane amount of 3rd downs. That won't happen again.

I expect us to put up 24-31 points this game but it will be ugly. I can see UL playing us on D like they did last year, and like Wake this year. If we come out and try to pound the ball it will be a long day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom