The O-line could use the infusion of new quality players | Syracusefan.com

The O-line could use the infusion of new quality players

CaliCuse

All American
I'm hoping Hickey and Curtis and or Alexander emerge as that quality + players. Any thoughts?:noidea:

Wish Trudo didn't get hurt. Curtis, Hickey, and Phillips could all do well if healthy and Alexander if he's in shape. Would nice to see some actual competition for spots in spring and we may finally have enough able bodies to have that.

Wish Trudo didn't get hurt. Curtis, Hickey, and Phillips could all do well if healthy and Alexander if he's in shape. Would nice to see some actual competition for spots in spring and we may finally have enough able bodies to have that.
I was counting on Trudo pushing Macky either to get better or out as a starter altogether. Macky is only in there because of nepotism at its worse.:bat:

Macky is only in there because of nepotism at its worse.:bat:

That's a pretty irresponsible statement. And do you really think Marrone would be so careless as to start a guy at center if he really wasn't the best center on the roster?

I was counting on Trudo pushing Macky either to get better or out as a starter altogether. Macky is only in there because of nepotism at its worse.:bat:

Macky's there because we didn't/don't have better options at Center. Really hoping he's bulked up a bit since the end of the season because he could do pretty well at a legit 275-280 lb range. I was hoping Trudo would push to start at LG before moving over to Center when Macky is done ala Bartholomew.

Macky's there because we didn't/don't have better options at Center. Really hoping he's bulked up a bit since the end of the season because he could do pretty well at a legit 275-280 lb range. I was hoping Trudo would push to start at LG before moving over to Center when Macky is done ala Bartholomew.
I'm hoping that Omari Palmer is given a chance there as well. Super Prep had him graded out very well as a possibility there.:eek:

I'm hoping that Omari Palmer is given a chance there as well. Super Prep had him graded out very well as a possibility there.:eek:

He's a big boy but he appears to be a bit "fluffy". Also being from NYC he may take a bit more time to develop than the PA boys. If Palmer makes any serious noise before his 3rd year in the program I will be pleasently surprised.

Anyone think Knapp is maybe projected as a future Center by the staff. How about Barrett, he is the one incoming Frosh that I have no idea what to expect from. Not saying Trudo isn't the heir apparent at Center but if not you would think one of the incoming kids is.

That's a pretty irresponsible statement. And do you really think Marrone would be so careless as to start a guy at center if he really wasn't the best center on the roster?
I know the kid is smart and works his arse off but you wont find too many other 5-10 260 pound kids starting for D1 schools at center. If he wasnt Macs Grandson would we have offered him? Would he be starting? Next time your on the hill take a peek inside Dougs office.

I know the kid is smart and works his arse off but you wont find too many other 5-10 260 pound kids starting for D1 schools at center. If he wasnt Macs Grandson would we have offered him? Would he be starting? Next time your on the hill take a peek inside Dougs office.

KC, I get you point about Macky, but I'll say a couple of things..We didn't offer his brother, who is clearly not D1 talent. So I'm not sure you can say the only reason we offered Macky was because of his grandfather. If that was the case, Cam would be our incoming 15th string QB

I've had conversations with someone on his high school staff who have told me several times Macky can play at this level. Am I sold on Macky, no...Was he the weakest link on the OL last year...not by a long shot

macky plays because we have no one else-

if he starts again this year- it will make last year look like 1959

macky plays because we have no one else-

if he starts again this year- it will make last year look like 1959

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

With the tough schedule the way it is we are going to need depth just as well as a quality front 5. If the oline can work as a solid cohesive unit and not have any more injuries, I think we'll be fine.

As for Macky, it does seem people have a a lot of anger for the local kids and I for the life of me don't see why any kid would stay home to play here.

has ZERO to do with being local and every thing to do with his size strength and ability

has ZERO to do with being local and every thing to do with his size strength and ability

Actually it has a lot to do with him being from here and who's grandson he is.

Actually it has a lot to do with him being from here and who's grandson he is.
maybe to you-
i would think the same of him if his name was jim brown-kid has nothing to offer as a starting center

maybe to you-
i would think the same of him if his name was jim brown-kid has nothing to offer as a starting center

Not at all. I remember in 2010 we didn't even have a center that could snap the ball in a shotgun formation. I haven't a post of yours yet that isn't negative and I agree that he is undersized but it's Marrones job to decide who plays and if somebody else shows up and is better than I'd think he'd (Marrone) put him in.

right-because i dont see your view im not as big a fan

little word of advice-

fans dont have to be happy -they can be angry when you have a decade of defeat with 1 little bowl sprinkled in with 8 of the crappiest years of su football history-when the coach does nothing to improve his offense after 3 futile years-

btw -macky didnt start because of his name-marrone had nothing better because of his lack of recruiting quality impact players

I agree that fans don't have to be happy or content all the time and I realize there are many things the university should do to improve the program. The coaches brake down the film and see what the players are doing and to be honest I think I'll lean towards Marrone knowing what he's doing over you.

As for Marrone and recruiting the program was crap when he got here and he isn't a bullcrapper salesmen like many recruiter are and it takes time to build the relationships that were fractured due to many things that you are full well aware of.

He's a big boy but he appears to be a bit "fluffy". Also being from NYC he may take a bit more time to develop than the PA boys. If Palmer makes any serious noise before his 3rd year in the program I will be pleasently surprised.
I agree, Palmer needs to get into better shape, but he's a big, big boy, and athletic- that's a plus. He also enjoyed a very solid senior year. Palmer's an underrated, possibly overlooked, recruit. Remember, we offered this kid early, right after Senior Day, so he isn't considered a B-list type recruit. The staff saw something special in him early on and remain very high on his potential. I have a hunch he will emerge sooner than his 3rd year here.

KC, I get you point about Macky, but I'll say a couple of things..We didn't offer his brother, who is clearly not D1 talent. So I'm not sure you can say the only reason we offered Macky was because of his grandfather. If that was the case, Cam would be our incoming 15th string QB

I've had conversations with someone on his high school staff who have told me several times Macky can play at this level. Am I sold on Macky, no...Was he the weakest link on the OL last year...not by a long shot
We need to get over the Macky issues and hope for the best from him this year. I saw some good things in the kid, as well as, the bad. Get over it, he's the Center, and Trudo isn't even being considered a threat at the position. I don't even think Trudo graded out that well at Center. What's scary is we really don't have a true back-up there. It'll be interesting if any experimenting with the true Frosh lineman takes place in August.

the most scary thing about our OL is that our Head Coach was an OL and going into our fourth year we have no depth, only one kid on the roster who is truly solid at the OL position, we are forced to play an undersized D2 player at Center and half of them are hurt. I would have hoped that of all the positions on this team OL would be our strenght.

We need to get over the Macky issues and hope for the best from him this year. I saw some good things in the kid, as well as, the bad. Get over it, he's the Center, and Trudo isn't even being considered a threat at the position. I don't even think Trudo graded out that well at Center. What's scary is we really don't have a true back-up there. It'll be interesting if any experimenting with the true Frosh lineman takes place in August.

no-macky is the backup

the shape of the oline after year 3 is disturbing-

C Rob Trudo 6-3 300 So . Farrell, PA / Farrell
C Macky MacPherson 6-2 269 Jr. Syracuse, NY / Christian Brothers Academy
OG Ivan Foy 6-4 318 So. Brooklyn, NY / Fort Hamilton
OG Zack Chibane 6-5 293 Sr. Paramus, NJ / Paramus
OG Lou Alexander 6-4 331 Sr. Palmdale, CA / Highland
OT Sean Hickey 6-6 282 Jr. Murrysville, PA / Franklin Regional HS
OT Andrew Phillips 6-6 279 Sr. Phoenix, NY / Christian Brothers Academy
OT Justin Pugh 6-6 292 Sr. Holland, PA / Council Rock South
OT Nick Robinson 6-6 295 So. Baldwinsville, NY / C.W. Baker
OT Kristofer Curtis 6-3 291 So. Fayetteville, GA / Fayette County