The official starting lineup thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The official starting lineup thread

My only possible tweak is Gillon for White if JB wants more ball handling with Battle.

I think he starts out that way, and then White is first guy off the bench, when JB moves Battle over to PG. I don't think JB is going to start Battle at PG, but he will see time there.

Gillon
Battle
White
Roberson
Coleman

I hoped at one point, it was
Battle
White
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

but
  1. Got some slick handles, control the ball a lot better with a true point man considering Battle is a youngin, might give him some relief and play off the ball more. No disrespect to Battle but not many guys come in here as a Frosh starter, 33+ minutes and just know PG up and down like Ennis did.
  2. Lydon is going to eat this deal up with a spoon. He will mess you up when he comes in. All over the court last year on both ends, and as great as Dion was, TL will do more with these previews.

Here's what I think the depth chart will look like. Starters/reserves with minutes next to their names.

Gillon 30
Battle 32
White 30
Roberson 29
Coleman 15

Lydon 30
72 20
Howard 14
TT Less than 5, doubt he plays in half our games
Moyer Less than 4, doubt he plays in half of our games

We have very very great depth in the back and front court, that's going to take everything away from TT and Moyer, they're just nowhere near close to the guys who are going to get minutes. 8 is just as deep or deeper than we normally go and I'm sure that's where we'll be next year.

I also think we'll see Lydon playing the 3/4/5, and I think to give us even more depth and to free up a few more minutes for Lydon that we see White at the 2 for a little bit every game.

You know what's scary?
With Gillon and AW:
JB and the boys broke CuseHulk's now (nor ever was?) defunct triple transfer rule not once, but twice. :)
Let that be a lesson to you frequent flyers out there: always tip your skycap!

I think he starts out that way, and then White is first guy off the bench, when JB moves Battle over to PG. I don't think JB is going to start Battle at PG, but he will see time there.
I believe Battle was promised the keys from day 1. Now, the team has changed, but you can't renege on that.

I have a very hard time believing battle will start at pg over Howard and gillon. I believe gillon gets the nod over Howard and Howard plays some minutes obviously but I think battle is gonna play a lot of 2 or even 3. The question is where lydon and white will play. I think lydon will play a lot of time at the 4.

You know what's scary?
With Gillon and AW:
JB and the boys broke CuseHulk's now (nor ever was?) defunct triple transfer rule not once, but twice. :)
Let that be a lesson to you frequent flyers out there: always tip your skycap!

Ah but you forget the most important part of the CuseHulk triple transfer rule. It's only a problem when it works against us, which is actually just fine with me :)

And by the way I'm going with

Gillon
Battle
White
Roberson
Coleman

Surprised so many here don't have Lydon starting. Last time I checked he was still out best player and a projected lottery pick.
My reason is it just doesn't matter. Lydon will and should get as many minutes as anyone else and you're right. Until proven otherwise, he's our best player. Either way you look at it, I believe Lydon will thrive in this role.

I love this thread. Here's my two cents:

Starters: Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson, Coleman

Bench: Lydon, Howard, Chukwu

Most Minutes: Lydon, Roberson, Battle, White

Limited Minutes: Thompson, Moyer (if he doesn't red-shirt)

Gillon
Battle
White
Roberson
Coleman

I hoped at one point, it was
Battle
White
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

but
  1. Got some slick handles, control the ball a lot better with a true point man considering Battle is a youngin, might give him some relief and play off the ball more. No disrespect to Battle but not many guys come in here as a Frosh starter, 33+ minutes and just know PG up and down like Ennis did.
  2. Lydon is going to eat this deal up with a spoon. He will mess you up when he comes in. All over the court last year on both ends, and as great as Dion was, TL will do more with these previews.
I agree w this starting lineup but was tough to pick between Gillon and Howard. I very much like the idea of a 6 5 205 lb point guard. Versatile guy like Lydon is perfect to come off bench. I am hoping our lineup that winds up getting the most mins : Howard Battle White Lydon Paschal. So much size and athleticism. But i am also hoping we have 8 guys who can really play, thats most important imo

This is where I'm at. Agree with everything you said.

I think among those 3, Thompson might be this season's surprise. I could see him getting more quality minutes, depending on Coleman's ability on offense.

From the article in the paper today, I have a feeling that Moyer's got a stress fracture in his foot. Doesn't sound like you rest an ankle sprain for another six weeks, after 3 weeks of rest already. I think he may wind up redshirting, which might be for the best for Matt's development. It has helped so many players, and if it's beyond the player's control due to injury, that makes it easier for them to accept.

Surprised so many here don't have Lydon starting. Last time I checked he was still out best player and a projected lottery pick.

I agree with you. I know DC has been a ceremonial starter, but this is a big year for JAB. If Lydon is the best man for the job, then start him. When he wants to pull TR, then slide TL into that slot. When AWIII needs a break from the 3 spot, then slide TL there. If TL is as effective or more effective than last year, then play him 35-38 minutes. I think people are making an incorrect assumption that TL is not going to be starting.

I think among those 3, Thompson might be this season's surprise. I could see him getting more quality minutes, depending on Coleman's ability on offense.

From the article in the paper today, I have a feeling that Moyer's got a stress fracture in his foot. Doesn't sound like you rest an ankle sprain for another six weeks, after 3 weeks of rest already. I think he may wind up redshirting, which might be for the best for Matt's development. It has helped so many players, and if it's beyond the player's control due to injury, that makes it easier for them to accept.

I just don't see where TT gets his minutes from. We have 4 guys who can play the 4 or 5, Roberson rebounding senior, Lydon possible lottery pick, DC capable senior who JB has shown has some trust for, and 72 a monster in the middle of the zone who spent a year in our system.

Just don't see where the minutes come from with that much capable depth. If Lydon and Roberson each average 30 minutes a game each, and the two centers average average a combined 35, then White is sitting on the bench quite a bit so TT can get some minutes.

This isn't the year for TT to play and I think it's quite obvious based on the roster.

I believe Battle was promised the keys from day 1. Now, the team has changed, but you can't renege on that.

I think you're overstating it. I think we promised him time at the point, but pitched him as a combo guard, whereas Duke saw him solely as a wing. I believe we pitched a Dion kind of role for him. We didn't pitch him as the full-time PG, because he's not.

From the highlight videos I watched, Thompson had very good foot work in the low post. He may have the best offensive game of our big men.

I agree with you. I know DC has been a ceremonial starter, but this is a big year for JAB. If Lydon is the best man for the job, then start him. When he wants to pull TR, then slide TL into that slot. When AWIII needs a break from the 3 spot, then slide TL there. If TL is as effective or more effective than last year, then play him 35-38 minutes. I think people are making an incorrect assumption that TL is not going to be starting.

I agree with this. If there's a guy who is going to be the sixth man, I think it's the new guy who committed to the team about 48 hours ago. He will still get plenty of run, don't worry. I don't see him putting either Lydon or Roberson on the bench for a new guy. Boeheim is loyal. That's why I see Coleman as the ceremonial starter, as another guy called it. Gillon, though, is too good a scorer and too much of a pure point not to start versus Frank. Not even close, even if Frank has improved.

One other person in this thread mentioned the appeal of having Chukwu jump center. For that reason, Coleman may not remain the token starter by the time the ACC games roll around. You need every advantage you can get.

From the highlight videos I watched, Thompson had very good foot work in the low post. He may have the best offensive game of our big men.

I agree. That's what I see, too. He wasn't this good a year ago, but he got a lot better in those recent videos, and he had a strong season in his prep league. PC is going to play. How much Coleman plays depends on his offense. He can rebound fairly well and his defense isn't that bad, despite the loss of hops. He isn't going to block a lot of shots, but he is physical and uses his body fairly well on defense. But Thompson is probably our best low post player, aside from maybe Rico, if he can get a mismatch against a man team.

I agree. That's what I see, too. He wasn't this good a year ago, but he got a lot better in those recent videos, and he had a strong season in his prep league. PC is going to play. How much Coleman plays depends on his offense. He can rebound fairly well and his defense isn't that bad, despite the loss of hops. He isn't going to block a lot of shots, but he is physical and uses his body fairly well on defense. But Thompson is probably our best low post player, aside from maybe Rico, if he can get a mismatch against a man team.

White is going to start not because of a lack of loyalty but because it will make him happy. White is going to get lots of PT.

I think Coleman and Chukwu split minutes. I think Howard and Gillon split minutes. So based on this idea, I think these are the four main lineups we will see the most minutes

Gillon-Howard, Battle, White, Roberson, Coleman-Chukwu
Gillon-Howard, White, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman-Chukwu
Gillon-Howard, Battle, White, Lydon, Coleman-Chukwu
Gillon-Howard, Battle, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman-Chukwu

I think White will play some 2 because Lydon will get his minutes. The rotation is going to be Battle-White, White-Lydon, Lydon-Roberson.

This is a really cool team. The interchangeable parts and mix-matching really make this team really good!

Lydon will play starter minutes no matter what.

Gillon
Battle
White
Roberson
Coleman

Lydon
Chukwu
Howard

Moyer to RS, Thompson gets 10 mins during non-conf. Maybe 2-3 here and there in ACC play. Lots of potential flexibility. Could end up seeing the crunch time team of Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson, Lydon at C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom