The official starting lineup thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The official starting lineup thread

That's why I see Coleman as the ceremonial starter, as another guy called it. Gillon, though, is too good a For that reason, Coleman may not remain the token starter by the time the ACC games roll around.

I don't see Coleman as a ceremonial or token starter at all. He played about 18 minutes per game last year, and provide some much needed toughness and rebounding. He had a few games where he played 30 plus minutes late last year. He does the dirty work and Boeheim loves it. I think he will play even more this year.

Are we talking the starting lineup at start of season, start of conference play, or when? Lineup may evolve based on early play. 3 who should start no matter when are White, Lydon, and DC in front court with TR 1st off bench in front court. Backcourt is more fluid with non-silent G, Battle, and Frank all starting during season.

I don't see Coleman as a ceremonial or token starter at all. He played about 18 minutes per game last year, and provide some much needed toughness and rebounding. He had a few games where he played 30 plus minutes late last year. He does the dirty work and Boeheim loves it. I think he will play even more this year.

I hope Coleman has a Rick Jackson senior season. Oh crap, I hope making this analogy isn't like the Dion-6th-man comparison:

Huh!
Yeah, we're comin' back then with another bombtrack
Think ya know what it's all about
Huh!
Hey yo, so check this out
Yeah!
Know your enemy!
Come on!

Are we talking the starting lineup at start of season, start of conference play, or when? Lineup may evolve based on early play. 3 who should start no matter when are White, Lydon, and DC in front court with TR 1st off bench in front court. Backcourt is more fluid with non-silent G, Battle, and Frank all starting during season.

We are only talking about 24 seconds left, against Duke in Dome, down by 2.

Howard
Battle
White
Roberson
Coleman

Lydon comes in for H, B,W,R as decided by JB
Chukwu for Coleman
Gillon for offense i.e., usually for Howard

Lydon will play starter minutes no matter what.

Gillon
Battle
White
Roberson
Coleman

Lydon
Chukwu
Howard

Moyer to RS, Thompson gets 10 mins during non-conf. Maybe 2-3 here and there in ACC play. Lots of potential flexibility. Could end up seeing the crunch time team of Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson, Lydon at C.

No question about it, I think the end of the game lineup in close games will be this if we need to score

Gillon
Battle
White
Lydon
Robe

If we need a stop

Gillon
Battle
White
Robe
Pc

I don't care who starts I'm so excited to see these guys play.

Slightly off topic, these might be fun:

Huge:
Howard
Battle
Lydon
TT
Chukwu

Small:
Gillon
Howard
Battle
White
Lyndon

I definitely see Lydon as instant offense. Kind of like Grant, or Kris Joseph. It's there anyone else who played a sixth man role, playing starters minutes, and scoring a lot? If so the name escapes me. Scoop?

PG: PC: Shows off his surprisingly insane ball handling abilities
SG: Lydon - Imagine the length of PC and Lydon at the top of the zone.
SF: White (why not?)
PF: Gillon (Pulls out some NBA-Jam moves and blocks)
C: Craig Forth's long lost cousin walks onto the team. Immediately sets insane picks. He also picks up a scholly offer from the football team.

Slight mod to my rotation idea:

Gillon-Howard, Battle, White, Roberson, Coleman-Chukwu-Thompson
Gillon-Howard, White, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman-Chukwu-Thompson
Gillon-Howard, Battle, White, Lydon, Coleman-Chukwu-Thompson
Gillon-Howard, Battle, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman-Chukwu-Thompson

Assuming Thompson's good foot work allows him to be the best threat on low-post offense.

Gillion 60%, Howard 40%
Coleman 40%, Chukwu 40%, Thompson 20%

I think Moyer red-shirts this year. The kid has spindly legs and needs some serious weight training.

PG: PC: Shows off his surprisingly insane ball handling abilities
SG: Lydon - Imagine the length of PC and Lydon at the top of the zone.
SF: White (why not?)
PF: Gillon (Pulls out some NBA-Jam moves and blocks)
C: Craig Forth's long lost cousin walks onto the team. Immediately sets insane picks. He also picks up a scholly offer from the football team.

Is it me or does SU have some serious 300 pound linemen. They have some big guys on that team. Can you imagine one of those guys setting a pick!

Can anyone think of a more intimidating lineup in CBB than when we run Battle-White-Lydon- Roberson-Chukwu? The measurables are insane.

Surprised so many here don't have Lydon starting. Last time I checked he was still out best player and a projected lottery pick.

I don't get it either. Let's sit him because he can offer something the other front court starters don't. Let's sit him because he's a great guy who can handle it better than the other guys. (Roby) Sit him because he's our most versitle player. (He can be just as versitle starting)

"If I had anyone else" how soon we forget. All these reasons to me are excuses to start Roby. I like the guy especially when he plays hard he will be a big part of the team but I don't understand why so many go way out of their way logically to have him starting. He's a returning starter and a senior but he always started out of necessity.

I'm not trying to dump on any specific posters opinion as plenty of posters I consider knowledgeable and insightful have Roby starting over Lydon. I just cannot wrap my head around it, maybe I'm the crazy one who knows?

I would ask those sitting Lydon to look at it as choosing Roby over Lydon to start at the 4, because IMO that is what your doing and that makes zero sense to me.

The versatility argument doesn't hold water to me. We are versatile because of the versatility of the rotational players which has nothing to do with them starting or coming off the bench. It has to do with how many positions they can play and how many combinations of 5 players they fit in well with. Lydon fits well with any combination because he happens to be able to score from multiple levels and play all 3 front court positions. Bringing him off the bench doesn't make him or the team more versatile.

The bench scoring/spark plug argument makes more sense but if that is really your reason why not start Howard and use Gillon in that roll. Gillon could be a pace changer like Scoop was in 09.

The Lydon can handle the bench role better is a BS argument to me especially when you want him to be a more aggressive star mentality player this year. It goes against that mindset to ask him to sit in favor of a guy who has shown zero consistent offense over the last 3 seasons and has disappeared production wise for multi game stretches at times. Starting Lydon is whats best for this team this year. This is a completely different situation than Dion's was.

I'm not trying to dump on any specific posters opinion as plenty of posters I consider knowledgeable and insightful have Roby starting over Lydon. I just cannot wrap my head around it, maybe I'm the crazy one who knows?

I will not let my "crazy" mantle go without a fight. You are not that crazy. After my limited experiences coaching basketball there's a delicate balance in keeping everyone happy with starting and PT. It's very tricky. You want to win games but you need players to participate with all their heart. If players were not such head cases then I would agree with you to start Lydon. Maybe it's not an issue. I'm just afraid White or Roberson not starting may mean something to those guys.

Regardless, JB and the coaching staff will sort it out. I love all our speculations. It's going to be a lot of fun watching how this evolves and eventually works out.

The versatility argument doesn't hold water to me. We are versatile because of the versatility of the rotational players which has nothing to do with them starting or coming off the bench. It has to do with how many positions they can play and how many combinations of 5 players they fit in well with. Lydon fits well with any combination because he happens to be able to score from multiple levels and play all 3 front court positions. Bringing him off the bench doesn't make him or the team more versatile.

The bench scoring/spark plug argument makes more sense but if that is really your reason why not start Howard and use Gillon in that roll. Gillon could be a pace changer like Scoop was in 09.

The Lydon can handle the bench role better is a BS argument to me especially when you want him to be a more aggressive star mentality player this year. It goes against that mindset to ask him to sit in favor of a guy who has shown zero consistent offense over the last 3 seasons and has disappeared production wise for multi game stretches at times. Starting Lydon is whats best for this team this year. This is a completely different situation than Dion's was.

I 100% with everything you said here. Exactly what I'm thinking. Plus if Lydon doesn't start and someone does something stupid the first 30 seconds of the game, they are going to be out. I don't think that's exactly good for that players psyche either.

I want Lydon aggressive from the start this year. You are telling him to continue to defer if you bring him off the bench, and that is his biggest weakness. You are reinforcing his deference mentality if you bring him off the bench.

Can anyone think of a more intimidating lineup in CBB than when we run Battle-White-Lydon- Roberson-Chukwu? The measurables are insane.
Might give up the most threes in the ACC but hey, at least they'd be "intimidating." ;)

I will not let my "crazy" mantle go without a fight. You are not that crazy. After my limited experiences coaching basketball there's a delicate balance in keeping everyone happy with starting and PT. It's very tricky. You want to win games but you need players to participate with all their heart. If players were not such head cases then I would agree with you to start Lydon. Maybe it's not an issue. I'm just afraid White or Roberson not starting may mean something to those guys.

Regardless, JB and the coaching staff will sort it out. I love all our speculations. It's going to be a lot of fun watching how this evolves and eventually works out.
1. People aren't giving Roberson nearly enough credit for being a team player and good teammate.
2. Not sure being a token starter and getting yanked within the first 30 seconds of every game is better for the heart than having a legitimate role that happens to be coming off the bench.

I will not let my "crazy" mantle go without a fight. You are not that crazy. :)cool: you can keep it) After my limited experiences coaching basketball there's a delicate balance in keeping everyone happy with starting and PT. It's very tricky. You want to win games but you need players to participate with all their heart. If players were not such head cases then I would agree with you to start Lydon. Maybe it's not an issue. I'm just afraid White or Roberson not starting may mean something to those guys.

So the kids that you are worried about going all out if they are not pampered get rewarded. We don't have time for it this year, we are trying to win the NC. White brings a much needed known offensive threat from deep. Its not about White who very easily slots into the SF spot as a starter and helps the offense tremendously. Again this is mainly about starting Roberson over Lydon at the 4 because Roberson can't really play anywhere else and people are worried about how he would play coming off the bench. I'm glad you are at least using the reason of keeping players happy than some reasoning about how its better for the team strategy wise.

1. People aren't giving Roberson nearly enough credit for being a team player and good teammate.
2. Not sure being a token starter and getting yanked within the first 30 seconds of every game is better for the heart than having a legitimate role that happens to be coming off the bench.

And he can completely do what he does in 25-28 minutes coming off the bench. Roberson is going to out work and be more athletic than any other teams 2nd tier front court guys. He's a senior and I expect him to leave it all out their this year weather he is starting, coming off the bench, playing 25min a game or 38min.

So the kids that you are worried about going all out if they are not pampered get rewarded. We don't have time for it this year, we are trying to win the NC. White brings a much needed known offensive threat from deep. Its not about White who very easily slots into the SF spot as a starter and helps the offense tremendously. Again this is mainly about starting Roberson over Lydon at the 4 because Roberson can't really play anywhere else and people are worried about how he would play coming off the bench. I'm glad you are at least using the reason of keeping players happy than some reasoning about how its better for the team strategy wise.

I don't think it matters who starts as much as who gets the most playing time.

Who do you think will play the 2 spot this year besides Battle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom