tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS

I can never tell a damn thing from those recruiting videos. Every player looks great. I usually just look for the opinions of a few select posters here (who shall remain nameless, whose opinions seem to be on target more often than not. Though I admit, even they missed it on Broyld.
totally agree.

plus, IMO...the best recruits drop 20 & 10 in the winter and hit a curve in the spring.

dowels and hudson will be nice players for us. the lack of depth in the secondary is a hold over from marrone.
Yes, Dowels & Hudson will be fine when they add some muscle and are juniors & seniors.
My point is that Shafer could have helped the team (and himself) in 2014 and 2015 if he hit the jucos or brought in grad transfers to fill gaps. Can't blame Marrone for Shafer's decision to go with Dowels & Hudson and to stand pat in 2014 at QB. It is water under the bridge -- I expect Babers to do a better job in improving the roster.

Yes, Dowels & Hudson will be fine when they add some muscle and are juniors & seniors.
My point is that Shafer could have helped the team (and himself) in 2014 and 2015 if he hit the jucos or brought in grad transfers to fill gaps. Can't blame Marrone for Shafer's decision to go with Dowels & Hudson and to stand pat in 2014 at QB. It is water under the bridge -- I expect Babers to do a better job in improving the roster.

actually, you can blame the prior coach for not having upper class men in the secondary. whats your rationale for not? i suppose the juco point may have some traction but who knows what was out there and what we tried.

disclaimer: no coach is perfect so by no means saying marrone is a terrible person or coach.

The guy was here 3 years. The firt class doesnt count really, so his first real class would be rs frosh his last year. Cant be judged. Not saying he killed it on the recruiting trail, but shaf's downfall was the offense and his game management.

When the 4 stars in the class consist of KJ Williams - never qualified, Alin Edouard - never qualified, AJ Long - Transferred, and Adly Enoicy - hasn't step foot on the field, and the next highest offered/rated kid is Corey Cooper - Transferred, when some in the class are just RS Soph's - I think it's fair to judge the fact that the kids that were supposed to be immediate difference makers weren't.

Secondary to that, I've been as much an apologist as anyone about the 2013 class and Shafer. But seeing what Babers and his crew have done in such a short period of time - I don't think he deserves a complete throw away there.

Last edited:
I have no problem with it if they are letting kids know, and not just going silent like some staffs are known to do. It's unfortunate, but this how it is all over the country, just as Shafer and his staff did as well. It sucks, but this is a business. It's not even like they pretend to act like it's not big business anymore, so you might as well operate it as one.
giphy.gif

I can never tell a damn thing from those recruiting videos. Every player looks great. I usually just look for the opinions of a few select posters here (who shall remain nameless, whose opinions seem to be on target more often than not. Though I admit, even they missed it on Broyld.
I base my evaluation on how cool I think the player's name is.

When the 4 stars in the class consist of KJ Williams - never qualified, Alin Edouard - never qualified, AJ Long - Transferred, and Adly Enoicy - hasn't step foot on the field, and the next highest offered/rated kid is Corey Cooper - Transferred, when some in the class are just RS Soph's - I think it's fair to judge the fact that the kids that were supposed to be immediate difference makers weren't.

Secondary to that, I've been as much an apologist as anyone about the 2013 class and Shafer. But seeing what Babers and his crew have done in such a short period of time - I don't think he deserves a complete throw away there.

babers is great. like where were headed. i wanted shaf fired. however, i stand by my comment that its tough to judge by 3 years.

Bunch of candy asses around here, new staff all bets are off. The kids the kids...

Every one of those kids will have opportunities elsewhere, we aren't running a charity and babers is getting paid a huge sum to right the ship. He has a freaking job to do. Let him freaking do it and hopefully we are all happy with the results.

You want him to honor verbals but will brow beat him when he doesn't win... Can't have it both ways. Gut the freaking thing and start from there
It's about an institution of higher learning reneging on a promise upon which the kids have relied.
I have no problem with Dino saying you can come here on scholarship, but I don't see you playing in our system. I just don't think a school should ever pull a scholarship,offer absent bad conduct.

i used to feel that we had to follow thru on our offers . however i no longer believe that. recruits decomiting (sp) has changed my mind. the landscape has changed. decomiting has become so prevalent. why do we need to honor the offer when recruits do not honor their word. nah, its a new ball game and the handshake agreement has no validity anymore. as for this incoming class, well i am not as thrilled as some. that said he is doing what he can on short notice. next years recruiting will tell me more.

The reason for optimism is that Babers clearly has a very specific skill set in mind for his recruits, just as he does for his coaching staff. And he's signing kids that he has targeted specifically to fit his system. Obviously no one knows if he'll succeed or fail, but it's imperative that he lands the kids he really wants, and he seems to be doing that immediately.

We still havent gotten a top recruit in almost 20 years. I'm not going to assume a unanimous 2 or 3 start is better than another unanimous 2 or 3 star.

I'll get excited about a recruiter when they produce someone to get excited about.

I know I know, stars arent everything. I get it.

We still havent gotten a top recruit in almost 20 years. I'm not going to assume a unanimous 2 or 3 start is better than another unanimous 2 or 3 star.

I'll get excited about a recruiter when they produce someone to get excited about.

It's more so about the lack of time they have had and how much they have done. Look at Marrone's 1st class it was rated 100-110. We will have a class that will be in the top 50. With the limited about of time, that's damn amazing.

It's more so about the lack of time they have had and how much they have done. Look at Marrone's 1st class it was rated 100-110. We will have a class that will be in the top 50. With the limited about of time, that's damn amazing.

Greg robinson and acc - not same

Greg robinson and acc - not same
When did we play in the Greg Robinson conference? Being in the ACC doesn't build relationships the coaches need to get the kids here. You can come up with all the excuses in the world. It comes down to the fact that HCDB is just better at getting kids to come here.

Im not saying they are doing a bad job. I'm just not going to care or assume that a unanimous 2 or 3 star that we add is any better or worse or even the same than another unanimous 2 or 3 star that we drop. I'm just not going to get excited about it until they prove it on the field. And outside of Ruff, they all have poor offers.

The difference now is that for the first time we might have a head coach who can implement a system that will achieve some success and then use that as a springboard to land higher profile recruits. Our recent coaches have largely had ceilings on success due to our ceiling on talent. Hence we had constant chicken-or-egg debates.

We really haven't had a virtuous cycle at SU in this regard since the mid-90s.

Im not saying they are doing a bad job. I'm just not going to care or assume that a unanimous 2 or 3 star that we add is any better or worse or even the same than another unanimous 2 or 3 star that we drop. I'm just not going to get excited about it until they prove it on the field. And outside of Ruff, they all have poor offers.
Might want to double check the poor offers here: http://syracusefan.com/threads/recruits-and-offers.89668/ lots of P5 school offers

Might want to double check the poor offers here: http://syracusefan.com/threads/recruits-and-offers.89668/ lots of P5 school offers

Thats nice to see Nelson was offered by UGA and Miami. I had only looked at the offers this AM on rivals and neither of those schools are listed there. But I can see them on Scout. Maybe just an old vs new coaching offer or something.

CusefanATL said:
Thats nice to see Nelson was offered by UGA and Miami. I had only looked at the offers this AM on rivals and neither of those schools are listed there. But I can see them on Scout. Maybe just an old vs new coaching offer or something.

Maryland, Illinois are not G5 schools either. And generally a 2-3 star from FL is a good kind of risk

Maryland, Illinois are not G5 schools either. And generally a 2-3 star from FL is a good kind of risk

I don't equate offers from Maryland and Illinois as good. I would much rather see "big boys"

Shafer got plenty of recruits over Maryland, NC State, Ga Techs, Indiana's, Vandys, kentuckys... Great. Im sure they can be good players. Cam Lynch was really good. But I want some players to get really excited about before they step on campus. We havent had that since Johnnie Morant. Which also goes to show its not a perfect science. Im not bashing this coaching staff (clearly). But Im also sick of saying the same thing every year and then bashing the previous coaching staff like we werent saying the same things the previous year.

When did we play in the Greg Robinson conference? Being in the ACC doesn't build relationships the coaches need to get the kids here. You can come up with all the excuses in the world. It comes down to the fact that HCDB is just better at getting kids to come here.

sorry i was not clear. i just think its worthwhile to consider the different circumstances of marrone v babers. marrone was recruiting for the big east coming off a disastrous tenure by greg robinson. babers is recruiting for the acc and our program is in better shape.

i will say it does not matter. i think babers is doing a great job.

CusefanATL said:
I don't equate offers from Maryland and Illinois as good. I would much rather see "big boys" Shafer got plenty of recruits over Maryland, NC State, Ga Techs, Indiana's, Vandys, kentuckys... Great. Im sure they can be good players. Cam Lynch was really good. But I want some players to get really excited about before they step on campus. We havent had that since Johnnie Morant. Which also goes to show its not a perfect science. Im not bashing this coaching staff (clearly). But Im also sick of saying the same thing every year and then bashing the previous coaching staff like we werent saying the same things the previous year.

You should just shelve this year and wait it out then. We are at the beginning of what could be and Babers will need results on the field and more than a couple of months the reel in those type kids.

Even so - getting the guys he wants for his system with Maryland/Illinois offers > getting 2 stars you originally posted