tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS

he is doing the best he can at this point--nothing more---i will give him that--and nothing more!!!! i will wait to see what he can do and i do have confidence that if nothing else it will be different. ---no, i have tipped my hat 1 to many times---u go your way i will go mine

Good lord, did HCDB break into your house and poop on your coffee table? This class is already higher ranked than any of HCSS, and he did it in 6 weeks. If he can't do anything to make you get excited, then why the hell are you following recruiting?

Love multiple sport athletes. For physical positions though, DL/OL, LB - give me a wrestler everyday of the week.

I don't think it's coincidence that SU cuts wrestling in 2001 and football recruiting struggles to bring in the beef for the next decade plus (Jones bros being the obvious exceptions).

He has done so at his last two stops. He has brought in transfers and JUCOs to fill the ranks. Doubt he would stop overnight.
Actually, Babers did not do much of that at all. He inherited a ton of offensive talent at BGSU and his recruiting classes were heavy on the defensive side. If he brings in several JUCOs or post grad transfers for SU it would be a new approach for him.

Actually, Babers did not do much of that at all. He inherited a ton of offensive talent at BGSU and his recruiting classes were heavy on the defensive side. If he brings in several JUCOs or post grad transfers for SU it would be a new approach for him.
I'm just going off what annoucers where saying at the MAC championship game. They stated he had brought in transfers and a few JUCO to fill the games. I don't have the energy or really care that much to look up how many. Was just going off what I heard during the game.

His immediate attention and restocking of a DE situation where he was handed a sandwich with the job?

It is my opinion that Jake Pickard will be one of the starting DE for the next 3/4 years. The cupboard isn't THAT bare.

I'm just going off what annoucers where saying at the MAC championship game. They stated he had brought in transfers and a few JUCO to fill the games. I don't have the energy or really care that much to look up how many. Was just going off what I heard during the game.

As he starts evaluating the team I think HCDB is going to find there are some really nice, young, pieces on defense. As well as some great potential on O.

tipphill said:
we have a promise---nothing more

not sure about he is doing that immediately stuff. he is signing kids

Far more than promises. Unlike the last regime, we have four years of head coach experience to judge. Shafer was all promises. Babers has been successful at both his stops and has used the same system to reach that success.

It is my opinion that Jake Pickard will be one of the starting DE for the next 3/4 years. The cupboard isn't THAT bare.

I agree, he was a great recruit. But what else? Thompson left early, last year's other recruits are on a suspension that likely includes half of this year and might include practice.

There's no way of getting around how poor our DE play will look in 2016. And there will be people here posting that it's because Babers is all about offense and doesn't care about defense.

And there will be people here posting that it's because Babers is all about offense and doesn't care about defense.

But he's inheriting all that amazing talent that I've read so much about the past 2 years. All that recruiting success is why SS was supposed to be retained, remember!

He is inheriting some very solid talent on both sides of the ball. We got creamed because we lost our QB's and we were young across the board. Anyone who watched our team last year could see the talent. With a year of training, the experiance that they got by playing so young and what i consider to be a much better coaching staff top to bottom i think that Dino is stepping into a very good situation.

I agree, he was a great recruit. But what else? Thompson left early, last year's other recruits are on a suspension that likely includes half of this year and might include practice.

There's no way of getting around how poor our DE play will look in 2016. And there will be people here posting that it's because Babers is all about offense and doesn't care about defense.
The suspensions were for the last 3 games of 2015, and 3 more this season, one of which is Colgate.
Even so, we won't have ACC-level play at DE, since we have to rely on underclassmen. It is a drop off compared to Thompson in his 4th year & Simmons in his 5th. The rest of the defense should be better than 2015.
Posters who believe Babers is all about offense should note the composition of the recruiting class -- the majority of his own recruits were on the defensive side.

OK -- to be specific, Babers brought in one JC (Derek Lee, who became his starting TE) and one grad transfer who played (Eilar Hardy, from ND, who became his starting SS). I believe there were no others in his two deep depth chart.
I would like to see something similar for SU -- a limited number, in key roles where we could use an immediate upgrade. Safety, WR, QB, maybe one OT -- but don't expect it to happen.

Chip said:
I agree, he was a great recruit. But what else? Thompson left early, last year's other recruits are on a suspension that likely includes half of this year and might include practice. There's no way of getting around how poor our DE play will look in 2016. And there will be people here posting that it's because Babers is all about offense and doesn't care about defense.

Think your overstating things a bit. Cheech and Chong were both good recruits and Q.Shepherd had a bunch of nice moments. Depends on how long they are actually out for and if they are practicing in the mean time (I forget the self-imposed rules).

Daoust did a good job with that group and his talent identification was good.

I think inexperienced and not deep are fair descriptions - but poor? Don't know yet.

OK -- to be specific, Babers brought in one JC (Derek Lee, who became his starting TE) and one grad transfer who played (Eilar Hardy, from ND, who became his starting SS). I believe there were no others in his two deep depth chart.
I would like to see something similar for SU -- a limited number, in key roles where we could use an immediate upgrade. Safety, WR, QB, maybe one OT -- but don't expect it to happen.
So it's a slow day at work
WR Roger Lewis Prep School
WR Gehrig Dieter SMU Transfer
DB Eilar Hardy ND Transfer
WR Robbie Rhodes Baylor Transfer
RB Donovan Wilson Georgia Tech Transfer
LB Dorian Hendrix Kentucky Transfer
DL Malik Brown Tennessee Transfer
OL Christian Piazza Prep School
TE Derrick Lee Butler CC

That's just what was on the 2015 roster and yes prep school are not what we are talking about, still 6 transfers and a JUCO...

Think your overstating things a bit. Cheech and Chong were both good recruits and Q.Shepherd had a bunch of nice moments. Depends on how long they are actually out for and if they are practicing in the mean time (I forget the self-imposed rules).

Daoust did a good job with that group and his talent identification was good.

I think inexperienced and not deep are fair descriptions - but poor? Don't know yet.

People shouldn't get offended at how I phrased it. I wasn't bashing Shafer or Daoust. I was saying that Baber inherited a crappy DE situation because of an early NFL departure and a couple drug suspensions, especially if they have to miss the entire preseason. You need at least 4 DEs ready to play. We'll have 2 redshirt freshmen, and then whatever true freshmen we can get ready. They are going to look really bad. Call it inexperience if the word makes you feel better, but it's not going to be pretty. Good news it that it appears to be a short term problem.

And my point is that at least 5 people here (conservative) will say it's because Babers doesn't care about defense. (Even though he clearly saw this was a problem and landed what appears to be solid recruits). That's the only reason I entered this thread.

I, like many, wondered if Babers initial splash in recruiting would just involve offensive players because of his reputation. But all the guys he landed for D is impressive so far. The offense will sell itself.

People shouldn't get offended at how I phrased it. I wasn't bashing Shafer or Daoust. I was saying that Baber inherited a crappy DE situation because of an early NFL departure and a couple drug suspensions, especially if they have to miss the entire preseason. You need at least 4 DEs ready to play. We'll have 2 redshirt freshmen, and then whatever true freshmen we can get ready. They are going to look really bad. Call it inexperience if the word makes you feel better, but it's not going to be pretty. Good news it that it appears to be a short term problem.

And my point is that at least 5 people here (conservative) will say it's because Babers doesn't care about defense. (Even though he clearly saw this was a problem and landed what appears to be solid recruits). That's the only reason I entered this thread.

I, like many, wondered if Babers initial splash in recruiting would just involve offensive players because of his reputation. But all the guys he landed for D is impressive so far. The offense will sell itself.
should be able to recruit pass rushers. we'll play fast and score a lot, which means plenty of chances for sacks

Chip said:
People shouldn't get offended at how I phrased it. I wasn't bashing Shafer or Daoust. I was saying that Baber inherited a crappy DE situation because of an early NFL departure and a couple drug suspensions, especially if they have to miss the entire preseason. You need at least 4 DEs ready to play. We'll have 2 redshirt freshmen, and then whatever true freshmen we can get ready. They are going to look really bad. Call it inexperience if the word makes you feel better, but it's not going to be pretty. Good news it that it appears to be a short term problem. And my point is that at least 5 people here (conservative) will say it's because Babers doesn't care about defense. (Even though he clearly saw this was a problem and landed what appears to be solid recruits). That's the only reason I entered this thread. I, like many, wondered if Babers initial splash in recruiting would just involve offensive players because of his reputation. But all the guys he landed for D is impressive so far. The offense will sell itself.

I wasn't "offended" - just thought you overstated it a touch. I think the talent is fine and the experience and depth will be an issue. I don't think we'll be awful.

I wasn't "offended" - just thought you overstated it a touch. I think the talent is fine and the experience and depth will be an issue. I don't think we'll be awful.

We'll see. Games 2 and 3, I think it's going to be brutal. Kind of like our LBs in 1993. It was probably the worst LB play in the history of the school (although 2007 would like to make a case). But a couple years later, those kids turned out to be really good linebackers.

Bad is bad, until it's good. Inexperience is just a nicer way to say it.

DE - I'd move Slayton outside to start and see what happens with the rest. IMO there are enough inside DL to cover at the start of the season. Slayton could be moved back inside if the DEs surprise or if the DTs regress. A couple of the current DE recruits have enough size to get by next year.

It's fascinating to watch the players targeted by the new staff. There's lots of speculation on the part of fans as to what our needs are, but the staff's targets tell a lot as to their analysis. Big linemen, De' s, safeties, lb's, and several speedy guys on both sides stick out. For an offensive guy, Babers has used a lot of slots on defense. As late as it is in the recruiting cycle, the staff is attracting lots of attention from even players committed elsewhere. We won't know for a while how well they've chosen, but they sure have been active, focused, and are creating a buzz. Tis an exciting time of hope and expectation. Kudos to all of the staff on their efforts as we head into the last week of recruiting for the 2016 class. Who else will they prioritize?

I think our defense needs depth because of all the minutes they will play. I believe we have secured that with this class. My big concern last year and going forward are the snot-knockers on the offensive line. We need to be able to pound ACC defensive lines play after play. Last year I was disappointed by the quality of the play with a few injuries and many upper classmen. I blame it on coaching. Hope to see a big improvement this year.

Ash may or may not turn out to be a good coach or good recruiter. We literally have no idea. I wouldn't compare our situation to RU's. What is apparent is that Ash's decision to coach OSU's bowl game has hurt them big time in this recruiting cycle.

BTW, I'm thrilled with what Babers has done in the short period of time. That being said, I wish we had one more QB in this class. We desperately need depth behind Dungey.

I don't think it's coincidence that SU cuts wrestling in 2001 and football recruiting struggles to bring in the beef for the next decade plus (Jones bros being the obvious exceptions).
i do