tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS

The difference now is that for the first time we might have a head coach who can implement a system that will achieve some success and then use that as a springboard to land higher profile recruits.
That's the summary. We have a direction.

Don't bother. Some people have already decided long-ago that having a potent offense means a team cannot play decent defense.

Yet they also have decided that having a potent defense doesn't preclude a team from having a decent offense.

It's strange.
Well, it's a concussion symptom.

too soon?

actually, you can blame the prior coach for not having upper class men in the secondary. whats your rationale for not? i suppose the juco point may have some traction but who knows what was out there and what we tried.

disclaimer: no coach is perfect so by no means saying marrone is a terrible person or coach.
The current coach needs to foresee what he has for the next season, and what he doesn't have, on the roster, and take action. Can't sit back and blame his predecessor, even though his predecessor could have recruited better. Marrone did not sit back -- he found JUCO help and upgraded what he inherited. Shafer chose to go with what he had at QB in 2014, and with a very young defense in 2015.

The reason for optimism is that Babers clearly has a very specific skill set in mind for his recruits, just as he does for his coaching staff. And he's signing kids that he has targeted specifically to fit his system. Obviously no one knows if he'll succeed or fail, but it's imperative that he lands the kids he really wants, and he seems to be doing that immediately.

I am optimistic because Babers landed kids who can play football in any system. A big, tough inside runner; 4 tall linemen who seem to be able to move; a big, tough MLB; DBs with some size; basic football players who can tackle (Coleman, Nelson, hopefully Walton tomorrow).
Not sure what you mean by "very specific skill set". The defensive coordinator has been with Babers only one year -- nothing particular about his schemes. On offense, who among the recruits has an unusual skill set? Riley is quick, but so is Moe Neal, a Shafer recruit.

I am optimistic because Babers landed kids who can play football in any system. A big, tough inside runner; 4 tall linemen who seem to be able to move; a big, tough MLB; DBs with some size; basic football players who can tackle (Coleman, Nelson, hopefully Walton tomorrow).
Not sure what you mean by "very specific skill set". The defensive coordinator has been with Babers only one year -- nothing particular about his schemes. On offense, who among the recruits has an unusual skill set? Riley is quick, but so is Moe Neal, a Shafer recruit.

Tampa-2 vs blitz heavy SS scheme calls for very different LB and S.

We'll need more WR's, taller OL to run his O system.

We still havent gotten a top recruit in almost 20 years. I'm not going to assume a unanimous 2 or 3 start is better than another unanimous 2 or 3 star.

I'll get excited about a recruiter when they produce someone to get excited about.

I know I know, stars arent everything. I get it.
stars are mostly everything

That's the summary. We have a direction.
we have a promise---nothing more
The reason for optimism is that Babers clearly has a very specific skill set in mind for his recruits, just as he does for his coaching staff. And he's signing kids that he has targeted specifically to fit his system. Obviously no one knows if he'll succeed or fail, but it's imperative that he lands the kids he really wants, and he seems to be doing that immediately.
not sure about he is doing that immediately stuff. he is signing kids

we have a promise---nothing more

not sure about he is doing that immediately stuff. he is signing kids

He is most likely going to sign arguably the best class on paper ( ranking wise) which to you means everything in quite some time, and he did it in 6-7 weeks yet you can't give him the credit for that. He overhauled an entire recruiting class in 6 weeks and you can't can't tip your freaking hat to the guy. Tough crowd. This isn't easy to do.

My favorite thing is that HCDB and his coaches hit the ground running, contacting kids they already knew or knew of and hitting the trail hard. They seemed to know who they wanted, brought them in, and got commitments. I hope and trust they chose wisely, but am impressed how effective and decisive they've been. Nicely done Coach Babers.

The current coach needs to foresee what he has for the next season, and what he doesn't have, on the roster, and take action. Can't sit back and blame his predecessor, even though his predecessor could have recruited better. Marrone did not sit back -- he found JUCO help and upgraded what he inherited. Shafer chose to go with what he had at QB in 2014, and with a very young defense in 2015.
He has done so at his last two stops. He has brought in transfers and JUCOs to fill the ranks. Doubt he would stop overnight.

He is most likely going to sign arguably the best class on paper ( ranking wise) which to you means everything in quite some time, and he did it in 6-7 weeks yet you can't give him the credit for that. He overhauled an entire recruiting class in 6 weeks and you can't can't tip your freaking hat to the guy. Tough crowd. This isn't easy to do.
he is doing the best he can at this point--nothing more---i will give him that--and nothing more!!!! i will wait to see what he can do and i do have confidence that if nothing else it will be different. ---no, i have tipped my hat 1 to many times---u go your way i will go mine

RoysRunts said:
and? It's what happens on the Field . If you score 59 points and the opponent scores 60 it's still a Loss

Yeah, since we haven't seen a Babers led offense or defense, we should probably focus on what we know: they are recruiting a decent class in a short time, Babers offense is insane and takes a year to implement.

You can ruin the fun worrying about defense right now if you want. I'll wait to see how it all shakes out.

And compare this to our friends in Piscataway who were in the exact same situation. I'm pretty sure Ash has raked in one commit since he's been there (man, did we dodge that bullet). He would be getting destroyed here if that were the case. Meanwhile our guy went 9 for 9 this weekend. Babers is doing an unbelievable job considering the time frame in which he's had to get it done.

Just for spits and giggles:

Land Reese (4*), Walton (3*), and Cooper (high 3*) - our Class would go from 57 (Scout) to probably low 40's (44?)

Add Killins(3*) and Matthews (3*) and this class may crack top 40

RoysRunts said:
and? It's what happens on the Field . If you score 59 points and the opponent scores 60 it's still a Loss

So what is giving you the impression that he isn't concerned about the defense on the field?

His immediate attention and restocking of a DE situation where he was handed a sandwich with the job?

The LB he signed that could play for just about anyone he wanted to?

His stocking of the shelves at safety?

Apparently someone is forgetting that the former lifetime DC who prioritized that side of the ball just posted one of the worst defenses, statistically, in SU history.

But yeah, let's kill the new guy.

Apparently someone is forgetting that the former lifetime DC who prioritized that side of the ball just posted one of the worst defenses, statistically, in SU history.

But yeah, let's kill the new guy.
The defense would have done a lot better if the offense had really committed to the option though.