tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS

It is my opinion that Jake Pickard will be one of the starting DE for the next 3/4 years. The cupboard isn't THAT bare.

it is. if pickard were to get hurt we'd be filling the hole with someone out of the stands.

Guidice played some End last year so he might start there this season. Slayton, needs to stay at tackle. 4 man rotation with Clark, Samuels and Cross and pray nobody gets hurt.

Guidice, Pickard at End with the project Kenny Carter and 3 freshman all over 230#’s to start. Add Ealey and Shep to the mix 4th game in.

The front has pieces, lacks experience and depth.

LB;s and Secondary I expect a nice jump in experience and better play. The frosh safeties hopefully come in ready to go.

Im not saying they are doing a bad job. I'm just not going to care or assume that a unanimous 2 or 3 star that we add is any better or worse or even the same than another unanimous 2 or 3 star that we drop. I'm just not going to get excited about it until they prove it on the field. And outside of Ruff, they all have poor offers.

They just flipped 2 kids committed to Arizona, 2 kids committed to Illinois and a kid committed to Miami. When have we done that EVER?

he is doing the best he can at this point--nothing more---i will give him that--and nothing more!!!! i will wait to see what he can do and i do have confidence that if nothing else it will be different. ---no, i have tipped my hat 1 to many times---u go your way i will go mine

You're really sounding like an with this post. Why so angry, buddy?

They just flipped 2 kids committed to Arizona, 2 kids committed to Illinois and a kid committed to Miami. When have we done that EVER?

thats certainly the sunny side of looking at the ariz and miami "flips". Illinois is illinois.

I hope all of these kids are great. But we find ways to get excited every single year. This year being no different.

and dont get me wrong. I am happy, im not being a curmudgeon. I just don't want to get excited until i see it on the field.

So it's a slow day at work
WR Roger Lewis Prep School
WR Gehrig Dieter SMU Transfer
DB Eilar Hardy ND Transfer
WR Robbie Rhodes Baylor Transfer
RB Donovan Wilson Georgia Tech Transfer
LB Dorian Hendrix Kentucky Transfer
DL Malik Brown Tennessee Transfer
OL Christian Piazza Prep School
TE Derrick Lee Butler CC

That's just what was on the 2015 roster and yes prep school are not what we are talking about, still 6 transfers and a JUCO...
Good research.
So, for clarification, Dieter and Piazza were brought in by Babers' predecessor.
Three transfers in 2014 (had to sit that year). In 2015, Brown had no impact; Rhodes had 3 catches; Wilson had 36 carries. None of the three in the 2 deep.

In 2015, Hendrix (sat out), Lee and Hardy, already mentioned.

So, relatively light reliance on jucos or grad transfers -- two notable exceptions in two years at BGSU.

You're really sounding like an . . . . . . . with this post. Why so angry, buddy?
su football from 1960-----great through the years---including ben s.,maloney,mac, pp,gerg,marrone, ss, etal.---supported all that---sorry i need more at this point. i dropped sth two years ago--mostly due to the archaic thinking of the administration, and the continuous bs from them. i bleed orange as do my immediate family (who have degrees from maxwell and law) i am a townie from tipphill, we need us,north side,east side, etc. the casual fan as they call us.we need a something to be proud of in syracuse. they have been and always will be the ones who fill the seats---su represents the city,and environs---we need to be proud of them--hcss got that part right. we are a good town,albeit, glass is always half full mentality---but that is another discussion

su football from 1960-----great through the years---including ben s.,maloney,mac, pp,gerg,marrone, ss, etal.---supported all that---sorry i need more at this point. i dropped sth two years ago--mostly due to the archaic thinking of the administration, and the continuous bs from them. i bleed orange as do my immediate family (who have degrees from maxwell and law) i am a townie from tipphill, we need us,north side,east side, etc. the casual fan as they call us.we need a something to be proud of in syracuse. they have been and always will be the ones who fill the seats---su represents the city,and environs---we need to be proud of them--hcss got that part right. we are a good town,albeit, glass is always half full mentality---but that is another discussion

what was the "archaic" thinking of the administration that you are referring to? I am just curious? I can see if people cancel tickets just because the team sucks so bad but this is the one that always gets me. The " archaic approach" always seems to be a nice discussion from the Syracuse residents, what do you even care? I think people cancel season tickets because the product on the field stinks but don't realize it. Understanding that the preferred season tickets are a disaster

Yeah, since we haven't seen a Babers led offense or defense, we should probably focus on what we know: they are recruiting a decent class in a short time, Babers offense is insane and takes a year to implement.

You can ruin the fun worrying about defense right now if you want. I'll wait to see how it all shakes out.
Haven't we seen his teams. He won a league which Syracuse likely would not win. When his team's have played their peer teams, they have done well. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance.

what was the "archaic" thinking of the administration that you are referring to? I am just curious? I can see if people cancel tickets just because the team sucks so bad but this is the one that always gets me. The " archaic approach" always seems to be a nice discussion from the Syracuse residents, what do you even care? I think people cancel season tickets because the product on the field stinks but don't realize it. Understanding that the preferred season tickets are a disaster
mostly resting on our laurels with out reinvesting in the facilities, while other schools did and passed us by. having such illustrious leaders such as shaw who did not appreciate the community etc. taking for granted that the locals would support the team no matter what. but you are correct in that the team sucked so bad we lost the casuals, who had better things to do with discretionary dollars. i do not dispute what u say as i see it that way as well. this new administration strikes me as proactive rather than reactive on all fronts including football. i am cautiously optimistic.

mostly resting on our laurels with out reinvesting in the facilities, while other schools did and passed us by. having such illustrious leaders such as shaw who did not appreciate the community etc. taking for granted that the locals would support the team no matter what. but you are correct in that the team sucked so bad we lost the casuals, who had better things to do with discretionary dollars. i do not dispute what u say as i see it that way as well. this new administration strikes me as proactive rather than reactive on all fronts including football. i am cautiously optimistic.

Agreed. Yeah, I think with the team being really bad for the better part of 10-12 years everything else begins to eat away at people as well. It's going to be a tough road back for sure, winning is the only answer, plain and simple. I think Marrone thought that after the first 8-5 season that he would win the fans back, which was rather nieve on his end and what eventually turned him into the GRUMP that he became his last two years here. Losing 5 in a row along with a meltdown at home versus Rutgers doesn't help in 2011. Shafer had the right make up for Syracuse just not the right make up to be a HC. We shall see, looks like Dino is off to a good start and we know he can coach and coach his system, should be interesting. First goal is bowl game year...

It hasn't been easy by any means

ForCuseSake said:
I meant the varsity sport wrestling; not the "wrasslin" you & Chip excel at (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Can you provide a list of football players at SU from 1981-2001 that were on the wrestling team at SU? I think it will be a very short list.
I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

I don't think it's coincidence that SU cuts wrestling in 2001 and football recruiting struggles to bring in the beef for the next decade plus (Jones bros being the obvious exceptions).
Apple's and zebras.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Haven't we seen his teams. He won a league which Syracuse likely would not win. When his team's have played their peer teams, they have done well. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance.

I agree. We can take tons from his previous stops. That's why he got hired.

I was more speaking to the thought that to run this offense, our defense will be neglected and will be bad.

Long story short, I doubt the stats on D will peak as high as a Shafer led D. This offense does put a strain on the D, but it's simple math: more possessions = more points/yards, for both teams.

It will be an adjustment for people used to 17-10 scores. 45-35. 50-21. Etc

I was more speaking to the thought that to run this offense, our defense will be neglected and will be bad.

Long story short, I doubt the stats on D will peak as high as a Shafer led D. This offense does put a strain on the D, but it's simple math: more possessions = more points/yards, for both teams.

I think most people will be able to adjust from punting contests to track meets.

dollarbill44 said:
I think most people will be able to adjust from punting contests to track meets.

Just wait: we gave up 14 in the 4th!!! We needed to score 21 with 5 minutes left to win!!! We can't win with this D!

If we can envision the SU Offense getting better with a new Baber scheme, we should also hope for the baber Defenses to be better with more P5 talent available.

This cant all be about SU playing these games with Mac level talent , there has to be an expectation of better players in his systems so his systems will also be playing at a higher level.. his Mac level talent was competitive against P5 and hopefully within 1-2 years we start seeing P5 level talent doing even better and that should be on both sides of the ball.

upperdeck said:
If we can envision the SU Offense getting better with a new Baber scheme, we should also hope for the baber Defenses to be better with more P5 talent available. This cant all be about SU playing these games with Mac level talent , there has to be an expectation of better players in his systems so his systems will also be playing at a higher level.. his Mac level talent was competitive against P5 and hopefully within 1-2 years we start seeing P5 level talent doing even better and that should be on both sides of the ball.

Agreed on talent. I'm speaking to the inherent handicap of allowing your opponent more possessions (chances to score) per game and that hopefully they'll be playing from behind and forced to throw (steps the clock more, more possessions).

I expect to get better on both sides of the ball year to year as the systems click and the talent improves. The raw numbers won't be low on offense or defense - just because the number of plays for both teams will increase.

For example - it's not out of the question to see our YPP given up stay the same, but our totals go up (more possessions, more yards, more points). So our defense could be just as effective as a Shafer led team on yards per play - but our defensive ranking will be worse.

Think #3 in total offense and #40 in total defense, on a 10 win team ;)