The Open | Syracusefan.com

The Open

Mickelson lips out from 18 feet. :(

He still ties the record for best round in a major with 63.

Last edited:
Heck of a round, tied 27 other golfers with lowest score (63) in a major.

Phil hung in there today.

Stenson had a monster round to get close.

gonna be a fun weekend, hope to hell Phil wins.

Phil hung in there today.

Stenson had a monster round to get close.

gonna be a fun weekend, hope to hell Phil wins.
He's relaxed, confident, not forcing anything and is playing well in all phases of the game. If his putter doesn't desert him, this will be the cherry on top of a great career.

He's relaxed, confident, not forcing anything and is playing well in all phases of the game. If his putter doesn't desert him, this will be the cherry on top of a great career.
understood, but I want the US Open to be the cherry.

this will help his legacy...and I hope he does it.

He wants the U.S. Open so badly it seems to work against him. Any major at this point would be a great achievement and the clock is ticking.

Phil needs to take advantage of this opportunity, as all the really dangerous young guns seem too far back. I think winning a major is in Stenson's head and I don't expect Bradley to hold it together for 4 days at that place. But who knows, strange things happen in this tournament on the weekend all the time.

I'm not a huge golf fan these days, but I always like to see Phil do well, hopefully he pulls it out.

He wants the U.S. Open so badly it seems to work against him. Any major at this point would be a great achievement and the clock is ticking.

Phil needs to take advantage of this opportunity, as all the really dangerous young guns seem too far back. I think winning a major is in Stenson's head and I don't expect Bradley to hold it together for 4 days at that place. But who knows, strange things happen in this tournament on the weekend all the time.
after next year the US Open is at Shinnecock, Pebble and Winged Foot. he will be 48-50 for those. that's his last shots. he has choked away 1, but lost a few he could've had for sure.

as a HUGE Phil fan, I want him to get this so badly. 3 Masters, 2 British and a PGA would be nice for the record books.

throw in a career Grand Slam and go to Vegas for the rest of you life buddy.

funny thing is, this years PGA is down the street per say at Baltusrol, that was the 2016 Major I had him targeted for.

Phil played great -- and the weather today really split the field up which will make it even easier for him this weekend as it destroyed the over half the field, including #1, #3, #4, and #5. Phil could have easily had it against him -- it's just the breaks, but the fact is for him or Henrik or Soren, or whomever playing earlier this morning the road to the Open title just became much easier.

But he does deserve all the credit golf wise for being the leader amongst those 50-70 golfers with preferred tee times. No easy task.

That being said. Phil is a liar, a thief, a marketing gimmick, and in general a douchebag whose friends are in general douchebags. He should be in jail. May you lose this weekend as spectacularly as you did in 2006 at Winged Foot.

Cheering for anyone but Phil and his boy toy Keegan.

Phil played great -- and the weather today really split the field up which will make it even easier for him this weekend as it destroyed the over half the field, including #1, #3, #4, and #5. Phil could have easily had it against him -- it's just the breaks, but the fact is for him or Henrik or Soren, or whomever playing earlier this morning the road to the Open title just became much easier.

But he does deserve all the credit golf wise for being the leader amongst those 50-70 golfers with preferred tee times. No easy task.

That being said. Phil is a liar, a thief, a marketing gimmick, and in general a douchebag whose friends are in general douchebags. He should be in jail. May you lose this weekend as spectacularly as you did in 2006 at Winged Foot.

I don't have anything against Phil but my dad generally agrees with you in that he thinks he's an Eddie Haskell - plays nice to the cameras but different person away from them.

I don't have anything against Phil but my dad generally agrees with you in that he thinks he's an Eddie Haskell - plays nice to the cameras but different person away from them.
These guys are essentially independent contractors in an unforgiving sport where nothing is guaranteed, save for endorsement money, and a lot of them probably are nothing like they appear to be. But golf has a long history of being populated by less than nice guys, including some who appear quite the opposite to the public. It doesn't diminish any of their accompliments for me.

These guys are essentially independent contractors in an unforgiving sport where nothing is guaranteed, save for endorsement money, and a lot of them probably are nothing like they appear to be. But golf has a long history of being populated by less than nice guys, including some who appear quite the opposite to the public. It doesn't diminish any of their accompliments for me.

Very valid point that I will relay to my dad since he doesn't post on here. :)

Very valid point that I will relay to my dad since he doesn't post on here. :)
He should be happy he doesn't post here.:p

And he may very well be right about Phil.

Hell, that turned ugly in a hurry. I'll let Kaiser do the heavy lifting on this one.
Holy Shlit!

Where the F did that come from??

Either he thought we were talking about tiger or he stole that from 1 of my anti-hrc posts on the other board.

I've met Phil, more than 1x, he's 1 of us.

And on the course, way cooler.

What he does for young golfers is off the charts.

May he never lose another Major as long as he plays.

Unless of course, Keegan wins it.

That's my position too. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just never liked him. :noidea:

That's my position too. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just never liked him. :noidea:
How about Tiger? ( Full disclosure, I don't care for either )

Holy Shlit!

Where the F did that come from??

Either he thought we were talking about tiger or he stole that from 1 of my anti-hrc posts on the other board.

I've met Phil, more than 1x, he's 1 of us.

And on the course, way cooler.

What he does for young golfers is off the charts.

May he never lose another Major as long as he plays.

Unless of course, Keegan wins it.
I know Phil and his wife do a lot of charitable work, and he is as fan-friendly as anyone out there on tour. I've heard the whispers about him but don't really give a crap whether they are accurate or not, as the positive still outweighs the negative for me. I have no illusions that any of these guys are, or should be, choir boys.

Phil is my favorite golfer of all time, but that US Open ship has sailed.

How about Tiger? ( Full disclosure, I don't care for either )

We've all heard the FIGJAM line, I just wonder how much of it's true and how much is jealousy. I'm neutral on him, but the way he won at Muirfield in 2013 was impressive as hell. Tiger has always been a dick. I'd cross the street to avoid him.

That was some short game exhibition by Phil today. He could have easily shot 75+ the way he was striking the ball. Straighten out that crap and keep holing those putts and he'll be fine. It won't come easy though, as Stenson will be a tough out. Should be fun to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom