The Open | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Open

That was some short game exhibition by Phil today. He could have easily shot 75+ the way he was striking the ball. Straighten out that crap and keep holing those putts and he'll be fine. It won't come easy though, as Stenson will be a tough out. Should be fun to watch.

His second shot on 17 surprised me.

His second shot on 17 surprised me.
Yes, the un-Phil like way he chose to play it. Must have been a reason, maybe he didn't like the lie. Anyhow, he was mostly a magician from 120 yards in today. But he was living dangerously the way he was spraying the ball off the tee. If you keep doing that there, eventually you put up a number that kills you.

heres to stenson going away tomorrow.

match play to win it...

Holy Shlit!

Where the F did that come from??

Either he thought we were talking about tiger or he stole that from 1 of my anti-hrc posts on the other board.

I've met Phil, more than 1x, he's 1 of us.

And on the course, way cooler.

What he does for young golfers is off the charts.

May he never lose another Major as long as he plays.

Unless of course, Keegan wins it.

He wants to pay less taxes.

Obviously bound for hell.

Well this is tremendous golf.

I can't rember 2 players running away from the field like this, 27 holes in, then maintaining it and pulling away even more. Have they been more than one shot apart since the beginning of yesterday? Maybe for one hole.

Stenson the amazing striker. Mickelson, while lucky to avoid penalties on some of his drives, pulls unwordly recovery shots. He is a true artist and savante on the golf course.

I will not get into my personal position on Phil (or address any comments) until after the round. Let's enjoy this great match. I do not think it would be fair for me to distract anybody (Phil fan or not) while the this epic match is being played.

These two are putting on a clinic. It's really fun to watch. I wasn't sure what Stenson would do after the bogey on 1 but didn't affect him at all. It's amazing the separation between these 2 and the rest of the field.

The door is still open. Did not expect the lead to stay at 2 after those tee shots.

I do some in play betting and I was tempted to throw down 10 on Phil at 100-1 (those were the odds after the drives at 17). Right now in play odds are 22-1.

EDIT - Stenson got lucky on the drive on the 18th. Not sure how it stopped. Both players have played great Saturday and Sunday... Phil got some lucky breaks yesterday, Stenson got them today.

I don't remember a major where basically only 2 players existed for the entire weekend, stayed close the entire weekend, and trounced the field. We have seen Tiger and Rory blow away the fields at Majors but the coronation of just one player dulls in comparison to what we saw today.

Phil shoots -17 and loses. :(

Stenson cards a 63 today.
Bogey-free 65 and he loses two shots to Stenson today. All you can do is shake your head.

I don't remember a major where basically only 2 players existed for the entire weekend, stayed close the entire weekend, and trounced the field. We have seen Tiger and Rory blow away the fields at Majors but the coronation of just one player dulls in comparison to what we saw today.
Well, Nicklaus and Watson essentially did this at Turnberry in 1977, going 66-65 and 65-65 on the weekend. Jack was my man, and that one really hurt. Being 39 years older now, this one stings a little less.

I'm reminded of Singh and Stricker at the '98 PGA.

edit: and the Tiger Woods and Bob May duel in the 2000 PGA.

Last edited:
Bogey-free 65 and he loses two shots to Stenson today. All you can do is shake your head.

I always cheer for the American so I wanted Phil to win but it was just tremendous. Neither guy lost it, Stenson just flat out won it. I like when someone wins a tournament as opposed to someone losing it.

Yep, you can't play defense in golf.

Well, Nicklaus and Watson essentially did this at Turnberry in 1977, going 66-65 and 65-65 on the weekend. Jack was my man, and that one really hurt. Being 39 years older now, this one stings a little less.

Well I was only one at the time.

But it seemed to be almost the exact same thing, with even higher profile players,,,, not to say there was low profile today.

I always cheer for the American so I wanted Phil to win but it was just tremendous. Neither guy lost it, Stenson just flat out won it. I like when someone wins a tournament as opposed to someone losing it.
Stenson simply overwhelmed a tough golf course and overwhelmed an all-time great who was playing an almost flawless round of golf himself. I think Phil missed maybe one or two shots all day, and I'm not sure Stenson missed any, and they both putted exceptionally well. Amazing.

How many times has a golfer finished 11 strokes better than the next golfer on the leaderboard and NOT won? That's what happened to Mickelson. You rarely see two golfers crush the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom