The point I think some are missing.. | Syracusefan.com

The point I think some are missing..

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
While we played as terrible as we could and should have won that game, MTSU is not a bad team. They were a Bowl team last year and will likely be one this year. They have a very veteran QB who has a lot of experience, including some against P5 teams and an excellent WR. It was also an emotional game for a lot of our guys, who are still college guys, not professionals who can more easilly block everything out. Heck, Dungey looked like he was almost crying at the Post game PC. While this was an upset, it's not a catastrophe. Just a couple of years ago, we almost lost to Villanova. This is nowhere in the same category.

Give the staff some time and hopefully the OL develops and I think we will be fine.

We are 0-1 in hugely weird games vs former HC's beloved by the players. <looks at schedule> Still sees a bunch of winnable games.

While we played as terrible as we could and should have won that game, MTSU is not a bad team. They were a Bowl team last year and will likely be one this year. They have a very veteran QB who has a lot of experience, including some against P5 teams and an excellent WR. It was also an emotional game for a lot of our guys, who are still college guys, not professionals who can more easilly block everything out. Heck, Dungey looked like he was almost crying at the Post game PC. While this was an upset, it's not a catastrophe. Just a couple of years ago, we almost lost to Villanova. This is nowhere in the same category.

Give the staff some time and hopefully the OL develops and I think we will be fine.
I was telling my friends all week, that this game was going to be like last years USF game. We felt superior leading up to both games only due to the fact that we play in the ACC, and should be able to beat non p5 schools. Turned out we weren't as good as either team, and last year USF went on to be pretty darn good. I think MTSU will have a nice year as well.
People need to step off the ledge. It sucks that we lost, but we are too fresh into what is going to be a massive rebuild, to expect to beat ANY division 1 team. Keep in mind, that we all like the talent Dino has brought in, and we like the talent that will be coming in next year, but he hasn't injected this program with enough of his players yet to make much of a difference. And while rebuilding this line should be of the utmost importance, patience will be needed. We have a couple 4 star lineman coming in next year, but it's an awful lot to ask true freshman o-lineman to come in and play effectively vs. ACC talent. We all knew this was going to be a slow rebuild, so let's not forget that after 1 loss, that we should have never expected to win.
And don't look at BG's second year as any indicator to what we should expect in year 2. Comparing BG's rebuild to ours is night vs. day. BG did not have the talent gap between them and the top of the league that we had. I'm not writing Cuse off this year, I'll watch and attend every game, but at the same time, I'm going to know that I'm watching a program under construction not just this year, but more than likely next year too. I just can't expect to see our O-Line improve enough this year to make a huge difference, and I can't expect our line to be a whole lot better next year, just because we have 2 freshman lineman that would be just another lineman at most other ACC schools.
Keep the faith, have patience.

I am skeptical about the "emotional game" rationale. We were better in the first half, when the emotional element should have been highest.

Agree MTSU is not a bad team. Their skill level at QB, WR and RB was a match for ours (or better), and their WRs made the big plays in the second half, when ours did not. Don't see that as caused by emotion.

And let's see how this team responds. Test for the staff whether it can find answers.

I am skeptical about the "emotional game" rationale. We were better in the first half, when the emotional element should have been highest.

Agree MTSU is not a bad team. Their skill level at QB, WR and RB was a match for ours (or better), and their WRs made the big plays in the second half, when ours did not. Don't see that as caused by emotion.

And let's see how this team responds. Test for the staff whether it can find answers.

We were better on D in the first half. Our O under Babers hasn't *ever* looked that bad. It was pressure early - but the drops and missed reads were all mental.

This team does not have the talent to think they were just going to show up and win any game other than the first one. They have to show up focused and ready on every play and I have no idea who is to blame but the results speak for themselves.

I was telling my friends all week, that this game was going to be like last years USF game. We felt superior leading up to both games only due to the fact that we play in the ACC, and should be able to beat non p5 schools. Turned out we weren't as good as either team, and last year USF went on to be pretty darn good. I think MTSU will have a nice year as well.
People need to step off the ledge. It sucks that we lost, but we are too fresh into what is going to be a massive rebuild, to expect to beat ANY division 1 team. Keep in mind, that we all like the talent Dino has brought in, and we like the talent that will be coming in next year, but he hasn't injected this program with enough of his players yet to make much of a difference. And while rebuilding this line should be of the utmost importance, patience will be needed. We have a couple 4 star lineman coming in next year, but it's an awful lot to ask true freshman o-lineman to come in and play effectively vs. ACC talent. We all knew this was going to be a slow rebuild, so let's not forget that after 1 loss, that we should have never expected to win.
And don't look at BG's second year as any indicator to what we should expect in year 2. Comparing BG's rebuild to ours is night vs. day. BG did not have the talent gap between them and the top of the league that we had. I'm not writing Cuse off this year, I'll watch and attend every game, but at the same time, I'm going to know that I'm watching a program under construction not just this year, but more than likely next year too. I just can't expect to see our O-Line improve enough this year to make a huge difference, and I can't expect our line to be a whole lot better next year, just because we have 2 freshman lineman that would be just another lineman at most other ACC schools.
"Keep the faith, have patience." This is something SU fans have heard for over 15 years. All I am reading is a bunch of excuse being made for poor play by the OL, RB, QB, WR but things are going to get better. These are the same excuse that were posted during the Shafer, Morrone, GRob eras, however, it's NOT getting better because I saw that same game played yesterday last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that....etc.

,,,,, I think MTSU will have a nice year as well.
...we are too fresh into what is going to be a massive rebuild, to expect to beat ANY division 1 team. Keep in mind, that we all like the talent Dino has brought in, and we like the talent that will be coming in next year...
And don't look at BG's second year as any indicator to what we should expect in year 2. Comparing BG's rebuild to ours is night vs. day. BG did not have the talent gap between them and the top of the league that we had. ....

I agree that MTSU is a decent team, coming off a bowl game.

Dino gives us a good chance to rebuild. The big disappointment is that the skill players he has brought in haven't made much of a mark, so far (other than AET, last season).

This team does not have the talent to think they were just going to show up and win any game other than the first one. They have to show up focused and ready on every play and I have no idea who is to blame but the results speak for themselves.
There is nobody to blame that currently is on the team. You don't inherit bad talent from a previous regime, take that same team, and completely change the offensive and defensive scheme, add a couple of freshman in year 2 that you recruited, and have this thing turned around in year 2. This is going pretty much as everyone thought it would when Dino was hired. Now that we're living through the rebuild that Dino said would take time, people grumbling.

"Keep the faith, have patience." This is something SU fans have heard for over 15 years. All I am reading is a bunch of excuse being made for poor play by the OL, RB, QB, WR but things are going to get better. These are the same excuse that were posted during the Shafer, Morrone, GRob eras, however, it's NOT getting better because I saw that same game played yesterday last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that...etc.

I went from having season tickets to buying 3 packs to buying single game tickets when I thought we could win. I have tickets to next week's CMU game and I'm bringing 5 skeptics with me. Losing to inferior opponents is not going to energize the base let alone make new fans that the program needs to sustain itself. I don't know the answer but the past 15 years has wiped out at least one generation of fans and if we don't right the ship to at least be a perennial 6-6 team it will take out the next generation of fans as well.

"Keep the faith, have patience." This is something SU fans have heard for over 15 years. All I am reading is a bunch of excuse being made for poor play by the OL, RB, QB, WR but things are going to get better. These are the same excuse that were posted during the Shafer, Morrone, GRob eras, however, it's NOT getting better because I saw that same game played yesterday last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that...etc.

I am 100% behind Babers and his staff and still believe he should get an extension ASAP. The recruits they have coming in are bigger and faster and I'm by far ready to sink or swim with HCDB. I am committed to this staff and know that they will succeed if given time. What has happened in the past with totally different coaches only has a bearing on the recruits that have come to the Hill and obviously many fans as well.

We're in the same boat. I've watched every game since 1991, but we have no choice but to keep the faith. What other option is there? Go route for a football factory? We are so early in a massive massive rebuild, that I just don't see how anyone can panic that this is just another Shafer or G-Rob hire. We are right in the middle of what Dino said would be a slow turn around. I guess nobody believed him.

I went from having season tickets to buying 3 packs to buying single game tickets when I thought we could win. I have tickets to next week's CMU game and I'm bringing 5 skeptics with me. Losing to inferior opponents is not going to energize the base let alone make new fans that the program needs to sustain itself. I don't know the answer but the past 15 years has wiped out at least one generation of fans and if we don't right the ship to at least be a perennial 6-6 team it will take out the next generation of fans as well.

All true. Losing didn't help. But fans who think the road from crappy to relevant to winning doesn't have a few potholes is deceiving themselves.

There is nobody to blame that currently is on the team. You don't inherit bad talent from a previous regime, take that same team, and completely change the offensive and defensive scheme, add a couple of freshman in year 2 that you recruited, and have this thing turned around in year 2. This is going pretty much as everyone thought it would when Dino was hired. Now that we're living through the rebuild that Dino said would take time, people grumbling.

It is absolutely going to take time and in this ADD world people are just to antsy to let things develop. We all grumble as we care about the team but in the big picture this staff is the right fit for this town.

We're in the same boat. I've watched every game since 1991, but we have no choice but to keep the faith. What other option is there? Go route for a football factory? We are so early in a massive massive rebuild, that I just don't see how anyone can panic that this is just another Shafer or G-Rob hire. We are right in the middle of what Dino said would be a slow turn around. I guess nobody believed him.

We didn't want to believe him. But I'll say this - everything he's said is spot on. People like to say everything is coach speak - but he gives it out straight.

We wanted to believe there was magic in Dino's schemes -- at least on the offensive side.

But there were reasons why the defense was dominating the scrimmages in August. The offense can't run block, the RBs are not ACC caliber, and Dino hasn't recruited receivers that can play early (other than AET, a grad transfer). Can't work magic without better ingredients.

All true. Losing didn't help. But fans who think the road from crappy to relevant to winning doesn't have a few potholes is deceiving themselves.

People shouldn't wonder why 20k show up to the dome then. This is a front runner town and the blind faith in Dino has worn off. He will need to show results in order to get the other 20k+ back in the seats. Call those people fair weather fans but Cuse football needs them more than they need Cuse football.

Reactions: FAL
I've been traveling out of the country the past ten days and I admit I didn't see the game, but tons of posts here lacking perspective regarding Dino, Dungey, the facilities, and company on the board the past two days.

Can't dump 15 years of suck on the guys that are here now off one bad game. They need time. We are bringing in the best talent since P was here and the fact that so many people here want to pull the plug after one bad game is short sighted. We will never be good if we keep hiring/firing coaches and change schemes.

We wanted to believe there was magic in Dino's schemes -- at least on the offensive side.

But there were reasons why the defense was dominating the scrimmages in August. The offense can't run block, the RBs are not ACC caliber, and Dino hasn't recruited receivers that can play early (other than AET, a grad transfer). Can't work magic without better ingredients.
Dinno has recruited players that can play early. They didn't commit to Syracuse though. Hard to knock him not being able to land true freshman wr's that can play right away (4 and 5 star WR's), when you're coming off back to back losing seasons from another regime. Recruiting doesn't turn around overnight either.

We were better on D in the first half. Our O under Babers hasn't *ever* looked that bad. It was pressure early - but the drops and missed reads were all mental.

The good O under Babers last season depended heavily on AET making plays. The other big plays last season came from Estime. Can't say what we have on O this season. Babers will have to come up with new answers.

The good O under Babers last season depended heavily on AET making plays. The other big plays last season came from Estime. Can't say what we have on O this season. Babers will have to come up with new answers.

3 guys lined up behind the qb was one.

Dinno has recruited players that can play early. They didn't commit to Syracuse though. Hard to knock him not being able to land true freshman wr's that can play right away (4 and 5 star WR's), when you're coming off back to back losing seasons from another regime. Recruiting doesn't turn around overnight either.

Actually, despite the back to back losing seasons, Dino has recruited some who can play early. But the better ones so far are on the defensive side -- Berry & Foster are examples. We will have to see about the skill players on offense.

Unfortunately, it's much more than a few pot holes. The SU brass is responsible for the state the program is in and has been. GM once had nearly 50% of the market share, today it's under 17%. Simplifying of course, their fall had a lot to do with management and their similar to SU's 'only game in town' mentality. Years of not reinvesting into the program until practically program bankruptcy status has dug such a deep hole, it will never get to the status it once attained as the landscape and playing field is so tilted now to the State schools, etc. Unfortunately, today, the ceiling for SU, is much lower than the roof. ;):(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom