The point I think some are missing.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The point I think some are missing..

We will never be better than 5th best in the ACC. And it will take a miracle to be the 5th best.

Later this year, we are gonna have one exactly the opposite of this mess when we win one we should lose, and I will repress the memory of this disaster forever. Right now, though, I feel like this:

bxOtA69x3IB20.gif

Every time I try to convince myself that a certain game is the worst we could play, we seemingly say the same thing within the next 8-10 games.

Sick of excuses. Talent is an issue. Playmakers are sparse. Valid stuff. Anything else is an excuse and excuses don't build programs.

I was telling my friends all week, that this game was going to be like last years USF game. We felt superior leading up to both games only due to the fact that we play in the ACC, and should be able to beat non p5 schools. Turned out we weren't as good as either team, and last year USF went on to be pretty darn good. I think MTSU will have a nice year as well.
People need to step off the ledge. It sucks that we lost, but we are too fresh into what is going to be a massive rebuild, to expect to beat ANY division 1 team. Keep in mind, that we all like the talent Dino has brought in, and we like the talent that will be coming in next year, but he hasn't injected this program with enough of his players yet to make much of a difference. And while rebuilding this line should be of the utmost importance, patience will be needed. We have a couple 4 star lineman coming in next year, but it's an awful lot to ask true freshman o-lineman to come in and play effectively vs. ACC talent. We all knew this was going to be a slow rebuild, so let's not forget that after 1 loss, that we should have never expected to win.
And don't look at BG's second year as any indicator to what we should expect in year 2. Comparing BG's rebuild to ours is night vs. day. BG did not have the talent gap between them and the top of the league that we had. I'm not writing Cuse off this year, I'll watch and attend every game, but at the same time, I'm going to know that I'm watching a program under construction not just this year, but more than likely next year too. I just can't expect to see our O-Line improve enough this year to make a huge difference, and I can't expect our line to be a whole lot better next year, just because we have 2 freshman lineman that would be just another lineman at most other ACC schools.
Keep the faith, have patience.

Dino inherited a 10-4 team at BG - a bowl team that went 7-1 in the conference.

Can't compare his experience there to his experience here.

We're in the same boat. I've watched every game since 1991, but we have no choice but to keep the faith. What other option is there? Go route for a football factory? We are so early in a massive massive rebuild, that I just don't see how anyone can panic that this is just another Shafer or G-Rob hire. We are right in the middle of what Dino said would be a slow turn around. I guess nobody believed him.
Nobody is panicking and no one said that Dino is another GRob or Shafer.

There is nobody to blame that currently is on the team. You don't inherit bad talent from a previous regime, take that same team, and completely change the offensive and defensive scheme, add a couple of freshman in year 2 that you recruited, and have this thing turned around in year 2. This is going pretty much as everyone thought it would when Dino was hired. Now that we're living through the rebuild that Dino said would take time, people grumbling.
Can't that be said when GRob was hired or Morrone or Shafer? All those coaches had more the two years but didn't turn it around.

Dino inherited a 10-4 team at BG - a bowl team that went 7-1 in the conference.

Can't compare his experience there to his experience here.
Yeah...that's what I said.

Can't that be said when GRob was hired or Morrone or Shafer? All those coaches had more the two years but didn't turn it around.
Yes. You could say the same about all of them. Although who knows what marrone would've done. They were definitely trending upwards when he left. I'm not sure how you can assume that Dino can't get it done just based off the fact that the other guys didn't. He's only had 14 games and still doesn't have the ingredients he needs. That will change slowly.

Later this year, we are gonna have one exactly the opposite of this mess when we win one we should lose, and I will repress the memory of this disaster forever. Right now, though, I feel like this:

View attachment 109491
We'll beat Wake or BC and everyone around here will be playing grab butt and talking up 2018 as the year this team turns the corner. Same Syracuse. Different coaches, different players, same pathetic mediocrity celebrated as greatness.

"Keep the faith, have patience." This is something SU fans have heard for over 15 years. All I am reading is a bunch of excuse being made for poor play by the OL, RB, QB, WR but things are going to get better. These are the same excuse that were posted during the Shafer, Morrone, GRob eras, however, it's NOT getting better because I saw that same game played yesterday last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that...etc.
In fairness, we didn't recruit as well under those guys.

We'll beat Wake or BC and everyone around here will be playing grab butt and talking up 2018 as the year this team turns the corner. Same Syracuse. Different coaches, different players, same pathetic mediocrity celebrated as greatness.
If you truly believe that, than there is no reason for you to follow the team any longer. What would be the point? If this is good as it's going to get, why should any of us follow them. The only reason is that we believe that things will get better. There is faith involved but also better recruiting by the numbers.

Yes. You could say the same about all of them. Although who knows what marrone would've done. They were definitely trending upwards when he left. I'm not sure how you can assume that Dino can't get it done just based off the fact that the other guys didn't. He's only had 14 games and still doesn't have the ingredients he needs. That will change slowly.
I did not say that Babers couldn't get it done. Stop putting words in my mouth....jezzz

People shouldn't wonder why 20k show up to the dome then. This is a front runner town and the blind faith in Dino has worn off. He will need to show results in order to get the other 20k+ back in the seats. Call those people fair weather fans but Cuse football needs them more than they need Cuse football.

You don't see me wondering. I say forget about attendance in every attendance thread there is.

We need a quality product on the field 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I'm not sweating fans that jump ship at first sign of trouble. I still believe in Dino and co.

Unfortunately, it's much more than a few pot holes. The SU brass is responsible for the state the program is in and has been. GM once had nearly 50% of the market share, today it's under 17%. Simplifying of course, their fall had a lot to do with management and their similar to SU's 'only game in town' mentality. Years of not reinvesting into the program until practically program bankruptcy status has dug such a deep hole, it will never get to the status it once attained as the landscape and playing field is so tilted now to the State schools, etc. Unfortunately, today, the ceiling for SU, is much lower than the roof. ;):(

Old wounds have nothing to do with this AD or coach. That's on the fans to get over. It's a tumor - this ability to apply old crap to new admin and coach.

As Wildhack has said - it take time to turn the ship around.

Every time I try to convince myself that a certain game is the worst we could play, we seemingly say the same thing within the next 8-10 games.

Sick of excuses. Talent is an issue. Playmakers are sparse. Valid stuff. Anything else is an excuse and excuses don't build programs.

The word "excuse" exposes your bias. There are reasons. Some are valid, some are not.

I personally think we shouldn't jump ship after one bad game. And we should give Wildhack more time to address the larger systemic issues. We should hold them accountable if they don't live up to fixing the reasons as their time in their jobs continue. But applying any issues prior to their arrival is junk.

I did not say that Babers couldn't get it done. Stop putting words in my mouth...jezzz
I'm just drawing a conclusion, as short sighted as it may be, based on the fact that you pointed out that "all those coaches had more than two years, and couldn't turn it around." Not being sarcastic, I just don't know what else you may have been alluding to by pointing that out. Forgive me if it's gone over my head, but I had way to many Loud House Ale's at the game yesterday. I'm a bit foggy.

How many more losing seasons do we have to endure? I like Babers, I think he is the right coach, we had people on here talking about him leaving for huge jobs, perhaps that talk can die down now.

Old wounds have nothing to do with this AD or coach. That's on the fans to get over. It's a tumor - this ability to apply old crap to new admin and coach.

As Wildhack has said - it take time to turn the ship around.
It is the same old BOT though and nothing will change until THOSE PEOPLE want to compete in D1 Big Boy football instead of wanting a champagne team and running it with Kool-Aid pockets.

It is the same old BOT though and nothing will change until THOSE PEOPLE want to compete in D1 Big Boy football instead of wanting a champagne team and running it with Kool-Aid pockets.

They've had turnover. I'd bet there are very few that have been there from P till now.

I'm just drawing a conclusion, as short sighted as it may be, based on the fact that you pointed out that "all those coaches had more than two years, and couldn't turn it around." Not being sarcastic, I just don't know what else you may have been alluding to by pointing that out. Forgive me if it's gone over my head, but I had way to many Loud House Ale's at the game yesterday. I'm a bit foggy.
No problem. I was just pointing out in my reply to the original post that having more then a couple of seasons to get your own players doesn't mean success. I was referencing previous SU coaches as an example.
I want more then anything for Babers to turn this around. I'm just not going to say he "is the man" like a lot of posters on here.

Marrone won two bowl games, and had a system in place.

Part of me wonders what would've happened if Gross hired Hackett as HC to keep it going and SS stayed as DC.
Yeah, that would have been a cool coaching setup. May have been productive too.

Since I've come down from my slight over reaction I feel this system can upset someone while also losing a game they shouldn't.

Hope it evens out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom