The Positive Side of Malachi Leaving Early | Syracusefan.com

The Positive Side of Malachi Leaving Early

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Since he's likely a 1st rounder, this would make 9 first rounders in the past 9 years. Not too bad, with 1st rounders in 8 of the last 9 years, and 5 years in a row. Fun fact to tell recruits. We are now a program that gets a player in the 1st round just about every year.

2008: Greene
2009: Flynn
2010: Johnson
2011: n/a
2012: Melo, Waiters
2013: Carter-Williams
2014: Ennis
2015: McCullough
2016: Richardson?

Sucks that 4 possibly 5 have panned out to an at least decent NBA career. Definitely a good thing to pitch though.

If Richardson keeps up the trend this year, it's safe to assume that barring something crazy, Lydon and/or Battle will be on the list next year

"We'll get you drafted in the first round even when you have no business getting drafted at all."
We are stuck in this bizarre limbo -- we always have players good enough to get drafted in round 1, but they never fully realize their potential in college, so they are never good enough to carry a team in the tournament. But since they are good enough to go in round 1, they never stay to reach that place where they can carry a team in the tournament.

But seriously, 9 1st roudners in 9 years, including 8 out of the last 9? How many teams can say that right now? UK, UNC, maybe Duke. That's rarified air. Our current NBA roster of alumni is solid too, definitely top 10.

To be fair, since this streak started we do have 2 Sweet 16s, 2 FFs and an Elite 8; So it's not like we've done nothing, but the ship would be nice. And ironically, our 2 best teams (2010 and 2012) didn't make it to the FF, so you could argue since 2010, we've been right there with the elite schools. 2010, 2012, 2013 (FF), 2016 (FF). Just shows how hard championships are to win, and how much of a crap shoot the tournament is when the 2016 team goes to the FF but the 2010 or 2012 teams didn't

Without Richardson we don't get to a Final Four. Without MCW we don't get to a Final Four. As far as I'm concerned, they've done a lot for the program so I'm fine with them leaving.

another positive :

less syracuse players means no need to share team bus seats

Bus.png

Last edited:
Yup, Battle wouldve been 50/50 going early if Mali stayed but now its a given. Will be playing 30 plus a game and will have free reign out there.
I think the freedom JB will give Battle will be attractive to a lot of recruits (looking at you, Hami Diallo).

If Battle can somewhat live up to the hype, he has a really nice group of players around him in Lydon, Howard, Chukwu, Robey, DC, Gillon and Moyer. Just wish we had another shooter. I think Howard will be much improved, but I don't expect him to make 3 3's a game while shooting 40%, I just expect him to hit the open shot enough for opponents to respect it.

Yup, Battle wouldve been 50/50 going early if Mali stayed but now its a given. Will be playing 30 plus a game and will have free reign out there.

IMO Battle still would've been playing big minutes. JB would've made sure of it by moving TB and MR around. Malachi would've played some more 3 and even paired up with Battle in the back court. Battle might have gone a few minutes at the 3 on occasion. He can hold his own down there and is an excellent rebounder and shot blocker.

I think Battle would've been playing 30+ and now will play 35+. He's going to be our most dynamic player.

Sucks that 4 possibly 5 have panned out to an at least decent NBA career. Definitely a good thing to pitch though.
Would you have preferred to see fewer of them have decent NBA careers?

I think the freedom JB will give Battle will be attractive to a lot of recruits (looking at you, Hami Diallo).

If Battle can somewhat live up to the hype, he has a really nice group of players around him in Lydon, Howard, Chukwu, Robey, DC, Gillon and Moyer. Just wish we had another shooter. I think Howard will be much improved, but I don't expect him to make 3 3's a game while shooting 40%, I just expect him to hit the open shot enough for opponents to respect it.

Need another shooter for sure and that still could happen

IMO Battle still would've been playing big minutes. JB would've made sure of it by moving TB and MR around. Malachi would've played some more 3 and even paired up with Battle in the back court. Battle might have gone a few minutes at the 3 on occasion. He can hold his own down there and is an excellent rebounder and shot blocker.

I think Battle would've been playing 30+ and now will play 35+. He's going to be our most dynamic player.
I was rea`lly excited for them to play together. However, part of me was thinking how there's only 1 basketball. Lydon should be getting at least 12 shots a game and I think he fits perfect with either (or both). I was curious if Battle/MR would at tiems struggle playing together - I really didn't want to see them both shooting 15 times a game and Lydon shooting 6 times

Since he's likely a 1st rounder, this would make 9 first rounders in the past 9 years. Not too bad, with 1st rounders in 8 of the last 9 years, and 5 years in a row. Fun fact to tell recruits. We are now a program that gets a player in the 1st round just about every year.

D league 1st rounder??

Without Richardson we don't get to a Final Four. Without MCW we don't get to a Final Four. As far as I'm concerned, they've done a lot for the program so I'm fine with them leaving.
Yeah, if a player gets us to Final Four and bails, I can't really take umbrage with it.

Yeah, if a player gets us to Final Four and bails, I can't really take umbrage with it.

If I couldnt search the definitions of words with 2 clicks of my mouse, I might feel umbrage with a number of your posts!

I agree with you though. At that point, the player is just a step from Melo waters.

Last edited:
It would have been fun to see Battle and Malachi competing with each other. It would probably make both players much better.
And the fact they grew up so close together they're basically brothers. I thought that would play a role in Malachi's decision, maybe it still does, who knows.

Would you have preferred to see fewer of them have decent NBA careers?

Not saying that at all. For the guys that leave early it's just unfortunate that they jump and they don't pan out. Obviously it depends on the player's talent but some kids may say "Look at Syracuse and the product that ends up in the NBA."

And the fact they grew up so close together they're basically brothers. I thought that would play a role in Malachi's decision, maybe it still does, who knows.

I live between Metuchen and Trenton so I hope that makes me one of their brothers too!

The list is impressive that we have consistent first rounders, but only one of the guys starts and he may not actually start next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom