The press | Syracusefan.com

The press

DonLightfoot

All Conference
A lot of us were barking in the game thread as to "why are we still pressing since almost every time there was either a dunk or a foul". I was one of the barkers. However, we did eventually get some turnovers which got us some momentum, but it sure took a while. Of course, we were also scoring during that long stretch which really saved us. Guess that is why I am not on the bench :confused:

A lot of us were barking in the game thread as to "why are we still pressing since almost every time there was either a dunk or a foul". I was one of the barkers. However, we did eventually get some turnovers which got us some momentum, but it sure took a while. Of course, we were also scoring during that long stretch which really saved us. Guess that is why I am not on the bench :confused:
Not really. There are plenty of other reasons

Not a fan of our bigs work in the press, including when md had to play back there. But the pressure by the guards and the forward on the ball was great.

Last edited:
I feel like it is better to let the other team score in five seconds than in 28 seconds when you’re trying to comeback. The fast buckets didn’t bother me. The press is supposed to create unsettled situations. Unfortunately that means that the defense is going to be unsettled as well. Fast scoring for the offense and creation turnovers you know are the reality.

the press would have looked better had they finished off the mistakes g-town did better. still we wont turn over teams a ton with it. it hurt because we had no shot blocker on the backend and half the team had 4 and had to be careful

The press was pretty effective at changing the game.

But the worst was the SU backcourt interception...followed by an Orange turnover under the basket leading to the enemy's fast break -and 1-dunk on the other end.
That was an awful 5-point swing.
It might have been the difference if weren't playing G-town...who NEVER have a lead that can't be surmounted!

I LOOOOOAAAAAATHE G-TOWN!

GO ORANGE!

Before game gets to the point where they need to use the full press and against teams that don't rush the ball up the court after inbounding the ball, I'd like to see them apply a lil' more token pressure or soft press. Just here and there throughout the game, before falling back into the zone. Why not make the opposing team waste 6-8 seconds bringing the ball up?

I understand we have a short bench and may want to conserve energy and its something Boeheim has never really done. But it must be easier to play the zone for 20 seconds, rather than 26-30 seconds.

Obviously I'm thrilled that we won, but from my vantage point (lower level behind the Georgetown basket in the 2nd half) it felt like there was just an endless number of 2 on 1 easy layups coming directly at me as a result of the press getting beat. I think it was a net-negative for us in the game overall.

Obviously I'm thrilled that we won, but from my vantage point (lower level behind the Georgetown basket in the 2nd half) it felt like there was just an endless number of 2 on 1 easy layups coming directly at me as a result of the press getting beat. I think it was a net-negative for us in the game overall.

Yeah it was open field stuff.

We softened it up since they were getting out and dunking like mad. The traps were in front of me and our length on defense is pretty impressive. That'll keep us in a lot of games.

We never make it back to where we can win the game without the press. It is a gamble you take when you are behind. If you can turn them over great, but its main purpose is to speed up the play. When you are behind you have a better shot at coming back if you can increase your number of possessions(cycles) and the press can accomplish this even if the other team gets some easy baskets. More possessions equals a greater chance that you can score enough to overcome your deficit. This is especially advantageous when you have a team that can outrebound your opponent.

The press won the game
Agreed. The in game message board and H0T Takes bashing the press were ridiculous. We don't win without the press and Jimmy called it off the last two possessions of regulation (steal for layup and missed shot). Great job Jimmy and clear why is a Hall of Fame coach and why we are just fans.

Trust the Process

It was a net negative. Of course you're going to get some turnovers and easy buckets if you press for a long time however how many easy buckets did they score relative how many points did we get directly from press related action?

I was also dumbfounded how we were down 5 points with 4 minutes left and we were pressing out of the zone with our guards as if it was desperation time? Gtown scored some easy buckets during that spell.

once we got back into our normal D, they were locked down..going down the stretch and in OT>

I thought that JB addressed this in his press conference. The press didn't accomplish a lot for us defensively, but it sped up the pace of the game and injected energy into our offense, As he pointed out, we scored 45 pts in the 2nd half, vs 24 in the 1st half.
Great coaching move IMO.

The press won the game

This is patently not true. I get that Jimmy like's to put the press on to upgrade tempo, so I don't worry too much about layups and dunks. But for most of its application, it was really poorly done.

Maybe this is chicken and egg stuff, but in this case, the ability to finally make buckets is what got us back into the game (along with relentless offensive rebounding). Anyone watching that game can tell you the difference was Frank driving it, Oshae keeping us in it with his scoring, and Battle waking up in the last three minutes or so and hitting some threes after having his worse half of basketball all season. Georgetown went cold, and that combined with the ability to set the press after makes, put a lot of pressure on them.

This is patently not true. I get that Jimmy like's to put the press on to upgrade tempo, so I don't worry too much about layups and dunks. But for most of its application, it was really poorly done.

Maybe this is chicken and egg stuff, but in this case, the ability to finally make buckets is what got us back into the game (along with relentless offensive rebounding). Anyone watching that game can tell you the difference was Frank driving it, Oshae keeping us in it with his scoring, and Battle waking up in the last three minutes or so and hitting some threes after having his worse half of basketball all season. Georgetown went cold, and that combined with the ability to set the press after makes, put a lot of pressure on them.

is that kelly leak?

I hope we make shots in the first half and are never forced to run the press for 10+ minutes in the second half.

The press was pretty effective at changing the game.

But the worst was the SU backcourt interception...followed by an Orange turnover under the basket leading to the enemy's fast break -and 1-dunk on the other end.
That was an awful 5-point swing.
It might have been the difference if weren't playing G-town...who NEVER have a lead that can't be surmounted!

I LOOOOOAAAAAATHE G-TOWN!

GO ORANGE!

There were a few situations where we caused a TO in the press then either gave the ball up quickly or failed to score. Hugely disappointing. We're lucky those possessions didn't cost us anything. It could have been over in 40 if they didn't panic when they earned possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom