The Real Bottom Line..... | Syracusefan.com

The Real Bottom Line.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
What makes good basketball ? - Speed, size, athleticism, skill, and coaching.

So what do we have ?

Speed - I do not think we have one player on the roster that is especially fast for his position. Thought it was going to be Jalen, but he now plays with hesitation and lack of confidence. Nothing like the UConn game. Didn't mean to single him out, but there wasn't anybody else to talk about as a speedy player. Next most likely is Bras & he gets no run. At this point, why not get him some minutes.

Size - Everybody always talking about the length of the Zone, but if truth be told, other than Chuk we have an average to undersized front line. Any extra size in the back court is offset by slowness.

Athleticism - no elite athletes on this team.

Skill - we have nobody other than Marek who sees the floor well enough to make others better. Elijah is our only above average three point shooter, though I do think Buddy will get there sooner or later. No elite rebounders other than sometimes Oshae. in terms of elite drivers, Oshae and Ty come and go and that's all folks. Chuk is a good shot blocker, but so short on O skills his overall impact is average on his good games.

Coaching - Jimmy does what he does. Some fans here love it, others think he is Jurrassic. Other than blaming Jimmy for roster construction, i think it is fair to say that nobody could make a top 25 team out of this group, but it is also certainly fair to say that there is room for coaching improvement. What bothers me the most, is last night's game was not the first time this season that the team got in a hole against a team with comparable talent and just failed to show the guts and moxie to claw back.

Too many excuses for Boeheim. We have one player shooting over 35 percent from 3 which was what Cooney shot here and was blasted for not being able to shoot.

This team is putting up some of the worst shooting stats from 3 point range I’ve ever seen. Brissett and Battle are both below 29 percent and they have regressed.

Why have they become worse shooters?

Battle shot 40 percent as a freshman and and Oshae was 34 percent last year.

Too many excuses for Boeheim. We have one player shooting over 35 percent from 3 which was what Cooney shot here and was blasted for not being able to shoot.

This team is putting up some of the worst shooting stats from 3 point range I’ve ever seen. Brissett and Battle are both below 29 percent and they have regressed.

i think a big issue is the decline of PG play. Last season Frank could penetrate enough to kick to get Ty and Oshae a few "freebies" every game not withstanding how bad the o was overall. This year there are no freebies and the percentages have gone down accordingly. Every shot is a struggle.

Are you claiming that JB ordered all of his players to shoot worse? I guess I missed that chapter in "Boeheim on Basketball".

i think a big issue is the decline of PG play. Last season Frank could penetrate enough to kick to get Ty and Oshae a few "freebies" every game not withstanding how bad the o was overall. This year there are no freebies and the percentages have gone down accordingly. Every shot is a struggle.

We missed a ton of wide open 3’s yesterday. About 15 of them. They packed the paint because they knew we couldn’t shoot.

Last edited:
We missed a ton of wide open 3’s yesterday. About 15 of them. They packed the paint because they knew we couldn’t shoot.

No question we are not a great three point shooting team. However, we have no post game to offset that. You can't win at the ACC level just by taking two point J's.

Bottom line, there will be some games when we make the 35%+ from trey range, and we will have a chance to win those games. The games when we are below 30% will just automatically go in the L column.

When you have no inside alternative, there will be no choice, but to take some treys and hope for the best.

Hmmm, I don't like your real bottom line, can we please have a fake bottom line instead?

Are you claiming that JB ordered all of his players to shoot worse? I guess I missed that chapter in "Boeheim on Basketball".

Why do other teams shoot 40% every year?

Most don't.

They just shoot 40%+ against us.

We’re giving up 30% 3 point shooting this year, but we shoot 29%.

Because their players miss less shots?

Why did Hughes shoot 46% against Notre Dame, but only 12% last night?

I’m not talking about Hughes. This is mainly about Brissett and Battle.

They are making MCW look like Reggie Miller.

OP, I thought your thread title; 'The Real Bottom Line' was going to refer to, hey...no worries mun, last night's game certainly wasn't a must win by any stretch, chill all. ;):)

I think there are quite a few coahes who could make a top 25 group out of this.

Coach K's back would start hurting even thinking about the prospect of coaching this group. This team has the worst roster construction in recent memory. Not sure how much that has to do with Frank's injury... when Frank came in as a freshman he was one of the best drivers and passers on the team. Some how 4 years of college ball at Syracuse has made him lose both the ability to drive and apparently to pass.

You would expect NBA players to decline over their last few years and lose explosion and some skills... you expect college players to get better over 4 years and get more explosive and pick up skills. It's like this group has aged in dog years... not sure how that happens.[/QUOTE]

It would be interesting to know, year by year the average shot distance.

Put backs and gimmes were norm in old days. Great way to put up high percentage stats.
They are extinct in Cuse basketball now. Why? We haven’t had a competent legitimate center since Rak.
We have no one to take someone on low post although we are bigger than most teams.
Smh smh smh

We’re giving up 30% 3 point shooting this year, but we shoot 29%.

I’m not talking about Hughes. This is mainly about Brissett and Battle.

They are making MCW look like Reggie Miller.
Brissett should be one of primary inside threats. I'm sure he can play with his back to the basket effectively. If we develop at least one inside threat it makes it easier to play "inside-out" which creates higher quality 3 point attempts rather than the desperation, beat buzzer variety.

I can't remember the last time I saw SU use the back screen. Way too much picking on the ball rather than away from the ball. Way too much one on one. Difficult to watch.

Two words for Brissett...Jump...Stop. He never uses his pull up J on drives. All the way to the rim and a circus shot attempting to avoid contact...not very efficient.

Can anybody on the staff stand up to JB and say what he needs to hear?
I mean Hop probably could open his mouth but their is no chance Allen Griffin or Gerry McNamara will stand up and tell JB what he needs to hear.
Hopefully Autry can.

There are real problems and I really don’t think anybody stands up to JB .

I mean Hop probably could open his mouth but their is no chance Allen Griffin or Gerry McNamara will stand up and tell JB what he needs to hear.
Hopefully Autry can.

Ha. Well, JB would likely just utter back to his guys (as do some here whenever questioning the coach) Um, remind me again, how many games have you coached or won? ;):)

Brissett should be one of primary inside threats. I'm sure he can play with his back to the basket effectively. If we develop at least one inside threat it makes it easier to play "inside-out" which creates higher quality 3 point attempts rather than the desperation, beat buzzer variety.

I can't remember the last time I saw SU use the back screen. Way too much picking on the ball rather than away from the ball. Way too much one on one. Difficult to watch.

Two words for Brissett...Jump...Stop. He never uses his pull up J on drives. All the way to the rim and a circus shot attempting to avoid contact...not very efficient.
hate to disagree, but there is no evidence oshae can play w his back to the basket. he can play at the high post, face the basket, and sometimes make a play, but back to the bucket....no.

Ha. Well, JB would likely just utter back to his guys (as do some here whenever questioning the coach) Um, remind me again, how many games have you coached or won? ;):)
I get what you are saying but if his assistants can’t tell him what he needs to hear we are screwed. Idiots like me that is what JB should say but I really don’t think anybody challenges JB which is why the status quo doesn’t change.

hate to disagree, but there is no evidence oshae can play w his back to the basket. he can play at the high post, face the basket, and sometimes make a play, but back to the bucket...no.
I get it...but it's not difficult to coach. He has the ability to well inside.

Just for the love of God, keep him off the three point line.

Hopefully Autry can.

Probably not but wikdhack should he's the boss.

Hopefully Autry can.

Slightly OT, but did anyone else see them cutaway to the bench yesterday and see McNamara on the bench... He was sitting in his staring forward into space looking at nothing with a scowl. Looked like he was trying to find his safe space, lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom