The Recruiting Problem... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The Recruiting Problem...

Yeah let's start complaining again about 2017 when we've already signed a top ten guy and put ourselves in great position with other guys for 2018.
That's why I stated had is it better term than I have but If without Thompson we will be complaining all year specially watching all of our targets thrive on the college specially watching all of our targets thrive on the college scene

You think what you want I know what I know
right, suddenly all of those guys were going to go to Syracuse but Jb said bad words about Chris so they all stayed away. Look, Jb hasn't helped himself with these silly and stupid statements when kids want to leave early. No question about that. But sanctions hurt us a lot more than anything jb said.

We've got some solid tangible assets.

Great basketball crowds, great basketball town (you play well and a lot of people are probably gonna bug you at Wegmans),

The Dome, decent education (if so inclined:), a nationally acclaimed party school, and we get more national TV and press exposure than any college basketball team in the northeast (usually). There isn't a northeast team that has been as consistently good over as long a period of time. Decent NBA player placement...at virtually every position PG, Forward, C, 2-guard.

I think the weather is a non factor. Philadelphia isn't tropical.

We should always be able to recruit well.

Last edited:
right, suddenly all of those guys were going to go to Syracuse but Jb said bad words about Chris so they all stayed away. Look, Jb hasn't helped himself with these silly and stupid statements when kids want to leave early. No question about that. But sanctions hurt us a lot more than anything jb said.

As Francis says sanctions have nothing to do with it

That's why I stated had is it better term than I have but If without Thompson we will be complaining all year specially watching all of our targets thrive on the college specially watching all of our targets thrive on the college scene

Yeah if we don't have TT I put our chances at making the tournament at about 1%.

Why only half? We had things working against us. What JB said about Chris was way way way way down the list.
Maybe, maybe not; but it really isn't the HC's role to say such things. Let the analysts break down his game; a player's HC should have his back no matter what reality is, or whatever he thinks it is... You don't offer an unbiased opinion when you shouldn't be unbiased. If a microphone gets put into JB's face, he should just say "Hellyeah, I think he will be ROY!"

As Francis says sanctions have nothing to do with it
lol here is the problem with your take. long before Chris, long before jb said anything about Ennis, we weren't getting the kids you claim we missed out on because of JB;s words. We virtually never beat duke or Kentucky for a recruit. And Tucker and Green were heading our way until Kentucky and duke missed out on the guys they were recruiting first. Weren't they upset about JB's words? The sanctions killed us. I, know what I know.

Maybe, maybe not; but it really isn't the HC's role to say such things. Let the analysts break down his game; a player's HC should have his back no matter what reality is, or whatever he thinks it is... You don't offer an unbiased opinion when you shouldn't be unbiased. If a microphone gets put into JB's face, he should just say "Hellyeah, I think he will be ROY!"
I agree with that. But that isn't why we aren't getting the guys he mentioned. We weren't getting those guys before he said those things. In 41 years of Syracuse basketball, how many top 10 recruits have we landed? And now the excuse for not getting guys in the top 10 is words that Jb said?? What was the excuse before he said those words?

I agree with that. But that isn't why we aren't getting the guys he mentioned. We weren't getting those guys before he said those things. In 41 years of Syracuse basketball, how many top 10 recruits have we landed? And now the excuse for not getting guys in the top 10 is words that Jb said?? What was the excuse before he said those words?
Half those guys we miss were not top 10 but players we needed and could've had that are impact players nonetheless. The differences even 20 years ago they were not thinking about the NBA OUT OF high school

there's your answer.

JB is honest to a fault what he said about Chris was correct but I guarantee you it has cost us one or two recruits for a fact so far . Go look at Chris's AAU situation. Who is handlers were and how we've done since with those same guys involved with the AAU situation. Not just what he said but even just after Chris committed Jim could not identify him in the semi's when every coach was there and word got around fast. Autry was embarrassed Jim didn't know which one Chris was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half those guys we miss were not top 10 but players we needed and could've had that are impact players nonetheless. The differences even 20 years ago they were thinking about the NBA high school there's your answer
I don't understand that statement. Please clean it up. What does NBA high school mean?

You have it backwards. Dasher knows what he knows and you think what you think.
Whatever nobody asked you.

I'm not questioning what Dasher knows but I know what I know. I don't want to be right I want to get it right and I go to no end to find out.

lol here is the problem with your take. long before Chris, long before jb said anything about Ennis, we weren't getting the kids you claim we missed out on because of JB;s words. We virtually never beat duke or Kentucky for a recruit. And Tucker and Green were heading our way until Kentucky and duke missed out on the guys they were recruiting first. Weren't they upset about JB's words? The sanctions killed us. I, know what I know.
Francis was talking about the scholarship restriction and some of the misses we have had and the that being the problem. He never said the whole process of the sanctions had no affect on recruiting I don't believe.

Whatever nobody asked you.

I'm not questioning what Dasher knows but I know what I know. I don't want to be right I want to get it right and I go to no end to find out.
Then what does you think what you want mean? I feel like we have been down this road so many times. I don't like the all in Quade Green like strategy either but the idea that we are going to beat out UK and Duke for kids is just not true. There is history that shows it won't happen. It sucks that UK's main PG target went to Oklahoma and that Dukes main forward target went to UK at the last second. We would have had Green and Tucker to go along with the best high school senior in Canada and Sibibe. Now how does the 2017 class look.

Francis was talking about the scholarship restriction and some of the misses we have had and the that being the problem. He never said the whole process of the sanctions had no affect on recruiting I don't believe.
True

Maybe I should've said "had"instead of have for 2017 we went one for 12 maybe

We had an identity crisis
We were great at identifying top talent that is in our wheelhouse!

But we don't identify with the current mindset of top talent. Meaning we don't identify what they want they want...

to go to the 'n league!

so quit your bs Jim. After Tyus and Chris Mccoulgh and even Jeremy Grant.

His treatment of Chris is 100% why Thomas Bryant did not come here. Even though what he said about Chris was true. These a call just don't want to hear anything but like what John Calipari is saying that he wants him to be here for one year explode and go to the league!

I will say You learn a lot in a weekend when you get assistants on AAU coaches unplugged telling you the truth. Jim opening his mouth about Chris has set as back. Also very concerned as team final was a pipeline thanks to hop where is it now ?

I will say getting Bazley and having Hughes for next year are great five star type recoveries!!

But look at this list...

Jamall Murray,Green, Walker, Bamba, Randolph, Nic Richards, Duval, Tucker,Diallo,Shaq's kid, Walker, all perfect fits !!!

Could have pulled in half of them

Now Reddish

What Boeheim said about Chris McCullough literally had ZERO to do with Thomas Bryant not coming here. Less than zero.

Sanctions hurt but as an outsider with no inside info - having the 2 faces of our program pursue the Olympics again during this time did not help, nor did an apparent "come to Jesus" moment where Hop found out JB wanted to stay. Blaming the sanctions for all our woes seems too convenient.

Sanctions hurt but as an outsider with no inside info - having the 2 faces of our program pursue the Olympics again during this time did not help, nor did an apparent "come to Jesus" moment where Hop found out JB wanted to stay. Blaming the sanctions for all our woes seems too convenient.

Yep, lots of different reasons coming together. They all played their part.

17 is the effect of the last 3 years of chaos, u all know the causes

We are headed on the right direction, Oshae and HWJ are much better than what's been written, Baze is the best player since MELO to come to SU, we've got him w Carey next week on campus, I'm not saying Carey is a lock, it's far from, we have other options and we just had 60 kids at Elite camp, even more quality not quantity in this case

However, If we sigh Ayala I'm going to lose my mind

17 is the effect of the last 3 years of chaos, u all know the causes

We are headed on the right direction, Oshae and HWJ are much better than what's been written, Baze is the best player since MELO to come to SU, we've got him w Carey next week on campus, I'm not saying Carey is a lock, it's far from, we have other options and we just had 60 kids at Elite camp, even more quality not quantity in this case

However, If we sigh Ayala I'm going to lose my mind

Every under the radar recruit is "much better than people think" after they commit here, and lots of highly regarded players have been the "best since Melo." Paul Harris immediately comes to mind.

And after what happened with QG last November I have zero issues with not burning bridges with Eric Ayala.

What Boeheim said about Chris McCullough literally had ZERO to do with Thomas Bryant not coming here. Less than zero.
I know different as my source has direct intel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom