The Recruiting Problem... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Recruiting Problem...

Those high end wings are all slipping away. Maybe if we had been all over Walker 2 years ago as someone around here advised we would have had a decent chance. :noidea:

Thanks, sorry I can't like that post :(

6 months ago people were posting that there were so many 2/3's in this class that we were guaranteed to end up with one!

Is Quade going to be our only recruit that can contribute right away?

So far it looks that way. As I reviewed the ESPN Top 100 recruits this morning, only 21, I believe, remain unsigned, and only about 5 or so are shooting guards. Jordan Tucker is still out there, of course, but the pickings are getting slim. If we miss out on Lonnie Walker and Billy Preston, we definitely will need a couple 5th year seniors on par with White and Gillon, which may be hard to pull off, as coaches become more in tune with this new tactic. I feel like we got a jump on some of the big schools with what we pulled off this year. I don't know that we will be so lucky in the spring.

I would expect the coaches to get 1-2 grad transfers too mixed in with Quade, Hami (?) and the rest of the 4 star guys we should be okay with Thompson, Moyer, Chukwu manning the paint. Frank will be back too, I get it though--on paper not as loaded as this years squad.

We will have big men and point guards. But unless at least one of Lydon or Battle remain, we will need a couple wing scorers before our class is complete.

In this day and age, it's almost better to get 4* guys who will have solid careers (see CJ Fair, etc)

I don't think there's a single team who won the Championship in the last 20-3o years who didn't have at least one first round NBA pick in the lineup.

People will do whatever they can to throw Gmac under the bus, as a player, coach, etc. this is a guy that's dedicated his entire life to Syracuse. It's a god awful shame.

So did Louis Orr. Orr was also a very nice man. But you have to bring home the bacon.

What separates a guy like Book Richardson, is it the fact that he is a NYC guy?

People who coached or ran AAU programs are huge. Autry spent some time doing that n Virginia, and obviously our old friend Troy Weaver was with the DC Assault, if I recall correctly, and had the connection to Coach Smith at Oak Hill Academy.

I agree. Even if his numbers aren't great this year, which I actually think they'll be really good. The immeasurables are already there. He's a flat out stud athlete. Something that many of our last few early departures werent(Jerami aside).

The only way I see him staying for two years is if he doesn't live up to his own expectations and is only rated at the bottom of the first round at the end of this year. This is a guy who can clearly make the lottery.

We had multiple reports of Lydon shooting the eyes out of the ball in practice. I'm not worried about his stroke changing. He had a few go in and out. He's not going to do well as a SF against teams playing guards at SF unless he's making his shot. He rebounded, defended and passed the ball well.

My only concern is when JB encourages some players to become "The Man", they don't all step up to it. Brandon Triche was one who JB talked about how good he could be, and the pressure got to him a bit. Still a great teammate, but he could have been better with the right mindset, IMO - a little more confident and a little bit selfish. Wes Johnson totally made the most of his one year. Kris Joseph didn't make that last jump as a senior and other kids became more important on that team. Some kids do, some kids don't. Tyler Lydon needs to be a little looser and not press so hard. He can always come back for his junior year and still be a first round pick. He's got all the skills.

I think he can but I don't think doing full time is ideal at least not at this point in his career. Still he has the whole season to improve. He could improve his shot like Frank has seemed to and tighten up his handle.

Eventually he will, but expecting to be an elite team starting a kid who needs to build up his body during a redshirt year is not the ideal way to be building your lineup.

Can we change the title of this thread from "...problem" to "situation" or "outlook"?

But we send 4 star guys to the first round NBA on a regular basis. Like basically every single year. Sometimes 2.

There isn't even any 4* guys left, let alone 5.

Let's get Hami and Tucker to go along with Quade and Brissett. That would be a great class.

Beyond great--that would be a superb class.

QG is arguably the top lead guard in the class.
Diallo is an athletic freak of a 2G.
Tucker is a pro-caliber 3 prospect with terrific perimeter skills.
Brisset is an athletic 4 who is one of the top risers in the class of 2017.
Sidibe is a stud center prospect who has all of the tools to eventually be an NBA prospect.

I'm not suggesting that it will work out this way, but all five of those project as multi-year starters and potential NBA prospects [legitimately].

Landing those five, plus a wing-related 5th year transfer, would more than replenish the coffers.

So far for the SF/SG positions we have missed on:

Walker
O'Connell
Randolph
Thompson(unlikely I know)

Still Available(In order of most likely):

Tucker
Diallo

In the top 150 there is nobody else left.

Don't forget Hamier Wright could still reclassify come spring time, and is a really good player as well.

He is the player JB should be focusing on for that wing player that is needed.

So did Louis Orr. Orr was also a very nice man. But you have to bring home the bacon.
I don't get your point. Orr left to become a head coach. And not bringing home the bacon (whatever you mean by that) doesn't mean we should tear them apart.

Don't forget Hamier Wright could still reclassify come spring time, and is a really good player as well.

He is the player JB should be focusing on for that wing player that is needed.

I'm one of the biggest Wright fans around, that being said he needs another year of refining IMO. Would be a great get however and has really hgh upside just like Brissett.

Let's get Hami and Tucker to go along with Quade and Brissett. That would be a great class.

Yes, after we didn't get Randolph or Bamba, I figured we had to get one of those shooters from the 2/3 spot, and if we closed those 2 guys, this is suddenly a great class. No argument. I hope it happens, and I hope like heck we get some more Oak Hill kids like Billy Preston. He won't win a championship at USC, although we know their coaches are good guys - BECAUSE THEY"RE SYRACUSE GUYS !!!

So man, that would be tha shtt, That would be another serious, serious contender. Damn/

Beyond great--that would be a superb class.

QG is arguably the top lead guard in the class.
Diallo is an athletic freak of a 2G.
Tucker is a pro-caliber 3 prospect with terrific perimeter skills.
Brisset is an athletic 4 who is one of the top risers in the class of 2017.
Sidibe is a stud center prospect who has all of the tools to eventually be an NBA prospect.

I'm not suggesting that it will work out this way, but all five of those project as multi-year starters and potential NBA prospects [legitimately].

Landing those five, plus a wing-related 5th year transfer, would more than replenish the coffers.

Yeah, that would fix all perceptions, but that's asking for a lot to break late. I hope it happens, and if it does, we are a contender again for the next couple years. Because not everybody can turn pro every year. Sometimes an extra year or two to develop turns them into better rounded player in a more supportive environment. College is a good halfway house for NBA talent. They should realize that they'll never have a more supportive environment to get ready for adult life, earning a living, not just playing to develop your talent. Playing against grown men, whose paychecks are at stake. That's what you have to get ready for. Not just your game, but your presence, your strength as a man. You have to be a grown man to make it in the NBA.

Those high end wings are all slipping away. Maybe if we had been all over Walker 2 years ago as someone around here advised we would have had a decent chance. :noidea:

Thanks, sorry I can't like that post :(

How do you lose a guy from NY to Arizona?

How do you lose a guy from NY to Arizona?

Who knows?

arizonagirls.jpg

I'm sure he's got his reasons...

university-of-arizona-girls-nicole-dewald-tucson12-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online