The ref conspiracy. | Syracusefan.com

The ref conspiracy.

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
First off, let me say that we did not lose this game because of the refs. We lost it because of bad offense and ND playing their best game of the year.

That being said...

In what is now our 8th Big East game this year, there is little to no doubt in my mind that the BE refs are absolutely against us.

I reviewed the Cooley play. We had him double teamed for 9 seconds! Then the refs calls a mystery bailout foul on XMas just before the shot clock expires...all while Cooley was throwing elbows like a mad man. That was shocking

Then, Scoop gets called for an offensive foul on a breakaway...horrible

Those two bad calls completely turned the momentum in ND's favor, and they were horrendous calls.

That being said, there have been several other horrendous calls against us this year from the BE refs.

Remember the "moving screen" call against Melo in Villanova when he was handing off the ball and got run into.

There have been many, many others. The Pitt game was atrocious. The Marq and Prov games were extremely bad. It's amazing that we've won as many games in the BE this year, considering we have been playing 5 on 8 every single game.

Worst officiated game i have watched in 20 years. I agree cant blame it on them but wow...so inconsistent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Yep, refs were inconsistent.

However, every team in every conference could pick out a large number of plays to say there is a conspiracy the refs were against them.

i hate to even agree to this but its just plain true. lets see what these guys are made of they have 48 hours off campus to regroup and come out firing against cincy who lost a tough ot game today. its all effort monday. we pull it out and then get melo back and all is well.

Worst officiated game i have watched in 20 years. I agree cant blame it on them but wow...so inconsistent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Totally agreed. Not why we lost, but horrible. And we have seen some poorly officiated games.

So important to come up nails on Mon night.

44cuse

First off, let me say that we did not lose this game because of the refs. We lost it because of bad offense and ND playing their best game of the year.

That being said...

In what is now our 8th Big East game this year, there is little to no doubt in my mind that the BE refs are absolutely against us.

I reviewed the Cooley play. We had him double teamed for 9 seconds! Then the refs calls a mystery bailout foul on XMas just before the shot clock expires...all while Cooley was throwing elbows like a mad man. That was shocking

Those two bad calls completely turned the momentum in ND's favor, and they were horrendous calls.

That being said, there have been several other horrendous calls against us this year from the BE refs.

Remember the "moving screen" call against Melo in Villanova when he was handing off the ball and got run into.

There have been many, many others. The Pitt game was atrocious. The Marq and Prov games were extremely bad. It's amazing that we've won as many games in the BE this year, considering we have been playing 5 on 8 every single game.

He dribbled once in that sequence - he also threw 8 elbows, but he did take a dribble at one point after an elbow. There was still a five second call in there though, and the fact that we were the only team called for pushing off with the off-arm is astounding.

A couple possessions later they must have done that twice right near half court and they threw in a pretty blatant swim move as well. Not sure why none of those were called, but that bogus one on Scoop was called because the spaz on Notre Dame fell into the first row.

I think this is the third game where I really thought we got f*cked in the second half with some of the calls. Marquette was one, this was one, and I forget the other. Wouldn't call it a conspiracy, but it is annoying as hell. Who knows though, I never really notice when the calls go in our favor (as they probably do from time to time).

That being said...

Honestly, I think there were bad calls both ways. I didn't think the elbow should have been called a flagrant foul - if that same call was called against us I would have had an emotional meltdown. Also, Cooley got hammered on a fast break dunk late in the 2nd half and there was no whistle.

There's no conspiracy - we simply got beat. If we play ND 10 times we win 8 or 9.

Yep, refs were inconsistent.

However, every team in every conference could pick out a large number of plays to say there is a conspiracy the refs were against them.
Inconsistent is having the refs benefit you one game, then they are not in your favor the next. This has been 7 or 8 games in a row that they have been wildly against us. That's not inconsistency anymore, that's a predictable pattern of bias.

Inconsistent is having the refs benefit you one game, then they are not in your favor the next. This has been 7 or 8 games in a row that they have been wildly against us. That's not inconsistency anymore, that's a predictable pattern of bias.

Honestly, every team thinks the officiating has been against them... Every one. Ask any fan base if there was any game that was well officiated on their schedule.

There is no bias.

Have some pride...take the loss like a man.
This is not about the loss. I've been complaining about the refs since the Big East season started. Tonight's game and the horrendous calls against us only reaffirmed my feelings.

We lost this game because we played bad. The refs are a completely different issue, regardless of our end results in the game.

Why are the refs so bad? This is they're job and they do a terrible job 60% of the time.

Honestly, I think there were bad calls both ways. I didn't think the elbow should have been called a flagrant foul - if that same call was called against us I would have had an emotional meltdown. Also, Cooley got hammered on a fast break dunk late in the 2nd half and there was no whistle.

There's no conspiracy - we simply got beat. If we play ND 10 times we win 8 or 9.
By rule, the refs have to call it a flagrant 1 foul if an elbow makes contact with the opposing player above the shoulder.

Why are the refs so bad? This is they're job and they do a terrible job 60% of the time.

In Higgins case it's because he anticipates calls (i really don't see this from anyone but him - he calls fouls before they happen all the time), and he blows the whistle on plays where he has an obstructed view and no angle. How he has a job is beyond me. He isn't anti-Syracuse, he's just anti-good officiating.

He really thinks he's all-knowing. He needs to be retired.

That being said...

The style of play taking over college hoops is so ugly,,,slow it to a crawl, push, shove, throw elbows and dare them to call it.

I hope Brad Stevens takes a job in some other industry.

We would have won tonight if we had Cooley on our team. I'd take him in a heart beat. The kids plays hard and tough. Some of our bigs should take notice.

We would have won tonight if we had Cooley on our team. I'd take him in a heart beat. The kids plays hard and tough. Some of our bigs should take notice.
Nah, he's a thug. If he were on our team, the refs would have had him fouled out of the game by halftime.

In Higgins case it's because he anticipates calls (i really don't see this from anyone but him - he calls fouls before they happen all the time), and he blows the whistle on plays where he has an obstructed view and no angle. How he has a job is beyond me. He isn't anti-Syracuse, he's just anti-good officiating.

The obstructed view and no angle calls drive me nuts. You see that quite a bit from a few refs. The other is when there is a ref right in front of the play and another makes a call from halfcourt.

I don't think there is a conspiracy but the Cooley play was astonishing to me. It seemed like he had the ball for the entire shot clock and threw about 20 elbows, also looked like he walked for good measure. Then it turned into another bail out call with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock. There seemed to be 4 or 5 of those tonight.
Higgins is the great anticipator. He blows the whistle bf the play even happens which is frustrating. He can't get out of this business fast enough.

And he's got a blue nose. It looked like he had frost bite.

Agreed some of those calls were awful.

I don't think there is a conspiracy but the Cooley play was astonishing to me. It seemed like he had the ball for the entire shot clock and threw about 20 elbows, also looked like he walked for good measure. Then it turned into another bail out call with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock. There seemed to be 4 or 5 of those tonight.
Higgins is the great anticipator. He blows the whistle bf the play even happens which is frustrating. He can't get out of this business fast enough.

Less than 10! There was literally 00 showing on the clock when the bozo blew that whistle. It was unreal. Even the game announcers have noted at least 7 plays in the past two games that were horrible calls against Syracuse.

I will say we go one call in our favor that I noticed. The alley-oop pass to CJ where a push was called on whatever white stiff was next to him. There was no push there. CJ just flat out blew the catch (or Scoop threw a bad pass).

I don't know that it's a conspiracy, and it certainly wasn't the reason ND beat us tonight.

But with that said, holy hell were there a cavalcade of miserable calls. There was one play in the corner where a Notre Dame player was about a foot out of bounds with the ball, and the refs missed it. The Cooley play was another. ND set quite a few moving screens throughout the game. There were plenty of other elbows thrown by Cooley, and ND guards were pushing off way more than Scoop did when he was called for it.

Tim Higgins didn't decide this game, but he and his crew made themselves the show, as usual.

You are all not looking at the big picture here...

Today was a PERFECT storm for a Syracuse loss.

If Any ONE of the bad things didn't happen, Syracuse wins this game. The bad reffing IS one of those bad things.

Let's not let the refs off the hook simply because Syracuse helped them with some other factors...

Less than 10! There was literally 00 showing on the clock when the bozo blew that whistle. It was unreal. Even the game announcers have noted at least 7 plays in the past two games that were horrible calls against Syracuse.

I will say we go one call in our favor that I noticed. The alley-oop pass to CJ where a push was called on whatever white stiff was next to him. There was no push there. CJ just flat out blew the catch (or Scoop threw a bad pass).

That was a two handed push to CJ's back and by definition a push is a flagrant 1 foul. Especially in that situatino when he's in the air and defenseless. It should have been 2 shots and the ball.

Oddly enough, we've been called for 2 fewer fouls than our opponents in BE play this year. Have to imagine atleast 12 of those on the other team have come within the last minute of gameplay, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom