the refs | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

the refs

The thing for me is the lack of consistency week to week (or even in the same game). Anyone with eyes and a reasonable degree of logic could see that the NC State receiver (1) stepped out of bounds twice and (2) was clearly not forced out. Yet, the call stands. Why?

Meanwhile, the video review/reversal at the end of Miami/VT was probably the right call- but no one will convince me that there was indisputable evidence to overturn it. And yet, they did.

Officials will miss calls. They’re human and the game is played at an incredible speed. But replay needs to correct egregious missed calls consistently. I don’t think it’s any type of conspiracy but I do think the system is broken when calls are reviewed (and upheld/overturned) to different standards week in and week out…
And it wasn't just that the stepping out of bounds call stood, it was confirmed. That's an even stronger statement of incompetence.

Nudging him is probably a better term. It doesn’t look at all like he was “forced” out of bounds whatever term you want to use. Why? Because he wasn’t!!
Regardless, the explanation was that the WR “re-established” position in the field of play. How exactly does one-and-one-half strides constitute re-establishing position. Clearly I don’t understand the rule. The receiver kept running straight up the sideline and barely stepped back in, made no additional cut or move, took 1+1/2 steps and caught the ball.

Every week, we seem to see something called or interpreted that we have never seen before. Most of us have been watching this xxxx for. 30, 40, 50 ( or more ) years. How does this happen?

FWIW, on a pro football board I frequent there’s a poster who’s a college ref. He’s constantly commenting when people misunderstand rules and how they’re applied via penalties.

It’s really eye opening how little people know about how refs are trained to call a game.

Doesn’t excuse the most egregiously missed calls, but there’s a lot of stuff people complain about where they’re simply wrong.

Emotionally it definitely feels like they are out to get us but it’s probably just incompetence.
As much as I can complain about refs in the game thread, this is most likely the issue.

There should be an ACC Refs internet site where the fans of all teams could compare their views on the subject.

Sometimes you have to win more consistently before getting those kinds of calls especially in this league they basically gave them a free touchdown

We will NEVER get those calls on games played in the state of North Carolina.

FWIW, on a pro football board I frequent there’s a poster who’s a college ref. He’s constantly commenting when people misunderstand rules and how they’re applied via penalties.

It’s really eye opening how little people know about how refs are trained to call a game.

Doesn’t excuse the most egregiously missed calls, but there’s a lot of stuff people complain about where they’re simply wrong.
True, It was not the worst call, and you can see both sides.

Posted elsewhere, the receiver‘s momentum was already taking him towards the sideline. It does not take much at all to push him out. So Deuce MAY or MAY NOT have pushed him out.

But, if the receiver had the ball already, Deuce would have gotten credit for a “tackle“ for pushing him out.

However, if that was us on offense, and we scored a touchdown, and then the refs reversed it. We would all be screaming that he WAS pushed out.

The bigger concern is why our safeties , (not just corners), keep “passing off” receivers to another defender they think are behind him. HE IS the guy who is supposed to be behind him. This is all a moot point if we are playing pass first not run first from the safety position.

I just rewatched that out of bounds play. His trajectory was not changed in the least by Duce’s “push”. There was no push at all he just basically touched him. Very weak call. My understanding is that the push would need to amount to illegal contact or a foul not a love tap. Even the announcers said he wasn’t pushed or forced out.
Water under the bridge but it’s still irritating.

Edit: I meant to say #1 Bellamy

Last edited:
There’s valid points all around on this, which is what makes it such a tough call. But the standard is not illegal contact. If it was there would’ve been a pass interference flag on the play. Just being “forced“ out is the standard and what’s in question.

The announcers get things wrong all the time so announcers were just agreeing with what a lot of us think, that it was likely too inconsequential to call.

more upsetting to me is that the standard was that it was called a touchdown on the field reviewed and allowed to stand. When they reviewed the illegal substitution, it was not ruled illegal on the field and it was a very, very close yet they used the opposite standard.

we were absolutely screwed out of the Clemson game a few years ago because of inconsistency in how things are called. So I won’t complain too much about the call, but I will about the inconsistency..

True, It was not the worst call, and you can see both sides.

Posted elsewhere, the receiver‘s momentum was already taking him towards the sideline. It does not take much at all to push him out. So Deuce MAY or MAY NOT have pushed him out.

But, if the receiver had the ball already, Deuce would have gotten credit for a “tackle“ for pushing him out.

However, if that was us on offense, and we scored a touchdown, and then the refs reversed it. We would all be screaming that he WAS pushed out.

The bigger concern is why our safeties , (not just corners), keep “passing off” receivers to another defender they think are behind him. HE IS the guy who is supposed to be behind him. This is all a moot point if we are playing pass first not run first from the safety position.
It was Bellamy, not Chestnut

I just rewatched that out of bounds play. His trajectory was not changed in the least by Duce’s “push”. There was no push at all he just basically touched him. Very weak call. My understanding is that the push would need to amount to illegal contact or a foul not a love tap. Even the announcers said he wasn’t pushed or forced out.
Water under the bridge but it’s still irritating.

Edit: I meant to say #1 Bellamy

For posters with long memories:

1996 U of Miami game: The Cane level our punt returner just as the ball arrives. After much discussion, the refs announce that the guy was "blocked into our returner" so it was OK. Replay's showed minimal contact and in the other direction as the Can player just blew right through it. Miami recovered the 'fumble' and scored and built up a big lead, (10-31 I think). We rallied behind McNabb but lost 31-38. We wound up in three way tie for the conference title. with Miami who had beaten us and Va Tech whom we had beaten but who had beaten Miami. Tech got the Orange Bowl Miami got the Carquest Bowl, (formerly the Blockbuster Bowl) and we got the Liberty Bowl.

That's what yesterday's 'push' reminded me of.

I know this should go in the game day thread, but know it's coming up after the game. Talk about homers.
They shouId never be aIIowed to ref again. You couId find better crews in the County Ieague.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom