The streak, or Battle? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The streak, or Battle?

We only have one "Streak" that matters - I will take the player if given my druthers.

Hell, we could have just used Mali's for both. I think people will handle this one better. Though, most of us knew Lydon was gone coming into last year so maybe just fire up that thread. Insert Tyus, and run Briancuse's responses now so we can get it over with.
I predict people won't handle this better and will insist players should behave as if it were still the 1980s or 90s.

Honestly, if Battle had been healthy early on and White had not been a tremendously consistent big-time
scorer, Battle might be already gone.

The "streak" is totally meaningless. I'm a Syracuse fan. Not a fan of former Syracuse players playing in the NBA. Its not that I dislike players after they leave, its more that I don't follow them or really have much interest because the teams they play for I have no interest in.
It's not meaningless when it comes to future recruiting though. When you have players who make it into the first round every year, especially kids like Lydon who weren't predicted to do so coming into school, that's very appealing to kids who have the ultimate dream to make it to the league.

It's all about being the alpha and a gunslinger who takes the big shot all the time. None of that beta passing crap! No making the right play! Shoot it! This is the new twist that was established for our guys this past season.

If you take the big shot all time it just means you're a volume scorer. Probably best to come back.

First and foremost, I hope Battle plays to a level that ensures he is a first rounder. He still has to perform to get to that level. It would be disappointing that the only reason he came back was because he did not progress,

In terms of what he does. I just want Battle to do what he thinks is right. If he thinks coming back is the right thing for him than that is great as a fan. But as a fan, I think it's unreasonable to think players should come back especially when everybody but themselves seem to prosper from their efforts. With guaranteed contracts, improving NBA development by most teams, 60 additional 2 way contracts created this offseason (which ensures low 6 figure D-League pay), additional time for training, plus pay for play, it's unfair and incorrect to blame anyone for taking the jump no matter where they are drafted..

Last edited:
If it is assumed that Battle kills it this year and decides to stay, then the answer is easy. I'd rather see Battle come back. I wouldn't blame him for leaving, but I'd prefer to have him make my favorite team better.

What's just as impressive is 10 first rounders in the past 10 years:

2008: Greene
2009: Flynn
2010: Johnson
2011: -
2012: Waiters, Melo
2013: Carter-Williams
2014: Ennis
2015: McCullough
2016: Richardson
2017: Lydon
And I assume at least a few of them were only three stars?

And I assume at least a few of them were only three stars?

All of those guys were 4 and 5 stars other than Johnson. Johnson was a special case though because he was transferring out of a P5 conference after already showing he could play at a very high level.

this is a no brainer... The Streak. For Battles sake

Just look at Melo Trimble. You can get away with staying 2 yrs in college. 3 and 4 is basically a death trap as far as your draft stock goes. It sucks, but thats the way it works now.

Oh, I thought Flynn and Lydon were lower.

Flynn & Donte were McD 5stars. That class with them Scoop and Rick was a top 5 class nationally if I recall. I believe Lydon was a 4 star, most of the top 100 seems to be anymore if they are a 5 star.

Just look at Melo Trimble. You can get away with staying 2 yrs in college. 3 and 4 is basically a death trap as far as your draft stock goes. It sucks, but thats the way it works now.

Trimble could have gone in the first round if he left after his freshman season. If you stay you have to show major improvement while not exposing weaknesses.

Maybe, but since 2000 there have been 17 drafts and every single one but this year had a Junior or Senior (or multiple in some) go in the top 10

Maybe, but since 2000 there have been 17 drafts and every single one but this year had a Junior or Senior (or multiple in some) go in the top 10

I don't think that was ATL's point. Its definitely doable but the odds are against it happening as there are far more examples of guys who where projected 1st rounders staying and either not getting drafted or slipping into the 2nd round.

I don't think that was ATL's point. Its definitely doable but the odds are against it happening as there are far more examples of guys who where projected 1st rounders staying and either not getting drafted or slipping into the 2nd round.

Oh no I know. He's right overall. He and I are in the same boat. Just thought it was interesting

Wow, and I thought there were rumors that we only took Flynn to get Paul Harris. I'm sure I have something mixed up.

Trimble could have gone in the first round if he left after his freshman season. If you stay you have to show major improvement while not exposing weaknesses.

Trimble hasn't improved at all though. Plus he's 6'3. Battle is a 6'6 specimen.

Trimble hasn't improved at all though. Plus he's 6'3. Battle is a 6'6 specimen.

I agree. If Battle stays healthy he will play more minutes in a key roll with a much higher usage rating. I don't think Battle made a bad decision since he wasn't a 1st round grantee and he is coming back to be a featured player as a sophomore.
Oh and if Trimble is 6-3 then I'm 6-5.

Wow, and I thought there were rumors that we only took Flynn to get Paul Harris. I'm sure I have something mixed up.

There were but we took Flynn very early on and he exploded the next two seasons. I'm not looking it up but I think he was around 20th in most of the listings.

I think he was a 2☆ when we offered and he committed as a sophomore but when all was said and done he was a MAA. I think I remember him having a sick dunk over Beasley in the MAA game.

Gotta be honest, I don't consider Battle's sake at all when pondering this question. I wish him no ill will and hope he has success with all he does in life, but I'm a SU fan first.

His success as a pro has no bearing on whether or not I can pay my mortgage. He doesn't nor should he care about me in that way, and likewise I don't consider his finances post SU when thinking about him. I'm confident he'll be fine regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom