The Upside (Ohio U.) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside (Ohio U.)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We won. Won >>>> Lost

- Kyle McCord is an NFL quarterback. Not a Lamar Jackson type NFL quarterback. He’s a traditional stay-in-the-pocket-and-pick-them-apart NFL quarterback. After the ‘burn the tapes’ first quarter, he was right on the money, throwing the ball to where his receivers and only his receiver could catch it, (until one fourth quarter underthrow). Even the great catches were the product of great throws to just the right spot. He showed great poise, ignoring the bad start, knowing that he and the receivers he’d worked with since the spring knew what they were doing and they’d make the plays to win the game.

- The really stunning sequence was at the end of the first half when we gave up a field goal with 49 seconds left. Coach Brown had used his time outs to minimize the time that went off the clock while Ohio had the ball and McCord and his receivers went right down the field and scored a touchdown to make it 17-9 instead of 10-9. Dino Babers would have had Shrader take a knee and gone into the locker room, satisfied that his team would get the ball to start the second half.

- After we started the second half pretty much the same way we started the first half and it was 17-16, the offense scored three unanswered touchdowns – unanswered because of two three-and-out defensive stands. Ball game.

- Several players made amazing, twisting, diving catches. Both ex-Georgia Bulldogs, Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes, had them. LeQuint Allen had one in the front corner of the end zone for a score. But the big weapon is big (6-5) Oronde who tiptoed down the side lines for one score, caught a ball over the middle when a guy tried to decapitate him or simply reached over smaller defenders to snatch the ball. McCord obviously loves to throw to him and maybe does it a bit to much- we have some other talents, too and you want to make the defense have to cover all of them. Great quarterbacks need great playmakers around them to be great. Kyle McCord had them in Columbus and he’s got them here, too. Kyle completed 27 for 39 for 354 yards and 4TDs. I think he’s going to do that or better on a regular basis – if his protection holds up.

- We threw to the middle of the field! We haven’t done that since Ryan Nassib was here. I never got Dino’s obsession with chucking it down the sideline and ignoring the missile of the filed. Brown, Nixon and McCord are making them cover the whole field.

- Trebor Pena, an explosive player, had scored 2 touchdowns in four years here, a 98 kickoff return against NC State before an empty Dome in 2020 and a 62 yard bomb against Clemson in 2021. Three years later he scored three TDs in one game: two passes from McCord and a short run, taking the handoff as McCord was going down with the ship.

- Gadsden had 7 catches for 108 yards and a TD and Allen ran for 98 tough yards on 15 carries and caught 4 passes for 24 yards and that TD pass. Those are our bell-cows.

- I felt that Fadil Diggs got off to a slow start but wound up with 8 tackles, 4 for a loss, including 2 sacks. Digg is listed at 6-5 261 but looks thinner, like more a of a basketball player in a football uniform. Making big plays is his forte but he doesn’t seem like much of a run-stopper. It’s a tough comparison but Dwight Freeney was strong against both. Maybe that will come as the season progresses.

- Jack Stonehouse’s punts were high and far and none were returned. One bounced sideways and was downed at the Ohio 7 after a 52 yard trip.

- The new seats are reasonably comfortable. They are hard and those of you who lack batting on you bottom may have to bring some with you. The old battles to retain your spot are gone but some diplomacy is needed about the very thing arm rests. And, yes, they could have fitted a cup-holder in there somewhere, I upgraded from section 117 to section 116 and found a new friend named Jeff next to me who used to live in North Syracuse. The seat was easy to get to. I like the new view but confess my even better view of the overhead scoreboard caused me to watch most of the plays from there. I paid all that money to watch television. But at least I get to cheer for the team and have my cheers heard.

1-0 and 11+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE !!!!

- We won. Won >>>> Lost

- Kyle McCord is an NFL quarterback. Not a Lamar Jackson type NFL quarterback. He’s a traditional stay-in-the-pocket-and-pick-them-apart NFL quarterback. After the ‘burn the tapes’ first quarter, he was right on the money, throwing the ball to where his receivers and only his receiver could catch it, (until one fourth quarter underthrow). Even the great catches were the product of great throws to just the right spot. He showed great poise, ignoring the bad start, knowing that he and the receivers he’d worked with since the spring knew what they were doing and they’d make the plays to win the game.

- The really stunning sequence was at the end of the first half when we gave up a field goal with 49 seconds left. Coach Brown had used his time outs to minimize the time that went off the clock while Ohio had the ball and McCord and his receivers went right down the field and scored a touchdown to make it 17-9 instead of 10-9. Dino Babers would have had Shrader take a knee and gone into the locker room, satisfied that his team would get the ball to start the second half.

- After we started the second half pretty much the same way we started the first half and it was 17-16, the offense scored three unanswered touchdowns – unanswered because of two three-and-out defensive stands. Ball game.

- Several players made amazing, twisting, diving catches. Both ex-Georgia Bulldogs, Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes, had them. LeQuint Allen had one in the front corner of the end zone for a score. But the big weapon is big (6-5) Oronde who tiptoed down the side lines for one score, caught a ball over the middle when a guy tried to decapitate him or simply reached over smaller defenders to snatch the ball. McCord obviously loves to throw to him and maybe does it a bit to much- we have some other talents, too and you want to make the defense have to cover all of them. Great quarterbacks need great playmakers around them to be great. Kyle McCord had them in Columbus and he’s got them here, too. Kyle completed 27 for 39 for 354 yards and 4TDs. I think he’s going to do that or better on a regular basis – if his protection holds up.

- We threw to the middle of the field! We haven’t done that since Ryan Nassib was here. I never got Dino’s obsession with chucking it down the sideline and ignoring the missile of the filed. Brown, Nixon and McCord are making them cover the whole field.

- Trebor Pena, an explosive player, had scored 2 touchdowns in four years here, a 98 kickoff return against NC State before an empty Dome in 2020 and a 62 yard bomb against Clemson in 2021. Three years later he scored three TDs in one game: two passes from McCord and a short run, taking the handoff as McCord was going down with the ship.

- Gadsden had 7 catches for 108 yards and a TD and Allen ran for 98 tough yards on 15 carries and caught 4 passes for 24 yards and that TD pass. Those are our bell-cows.

- I felt that Fadil Diggs got off to a slow start but wound up with 8 tackles, 4 for a loss, including 2 sacks. Digg is listed at 6-5 261 but looks thinner, like more a of a basketball player in a football uniform. Making big plays is his forte but he doesn’t seem like much of a run-stopper. It’s a tough comparison but Dwight Freeney was strong against both. Maybe that will come as the season progresses.

- Jack Stonehouse’s punts were high and far and none were returned. One bounced sideways and was downed at the Ohio 7 after a 52 yard trip.

- The new seats are reasonably comfortable. They are hard and those of you who lack batting on you bottom may have to bring some with you. The old battles to retain your spot are gone but some diplomacy is needed about the very thing arm rests. And, yes, they could have fitted a cup-holder in there somewhere, I upgraded from section 117 to section 116 and found a new friend named Jeff next to me who used to live in North Syracuse. The seat was easy to get to. I like the new view but confess my even better view of the overhead scoreboard caused me to watch most of the plays from there. I paid all that money to watch television. But at least I get to cheer for the team and have my cheers heard.

1-0 and 11+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE !!!!
Good recap. I'm already a little nervous about my TFL Cali prediction after Diggs game yesterday, but that's a good thing.

I posted somewhere else that we had 5 passes of more than 20 yards... Four different receivers caught those passes. I don't think defenses can afford to focus on Gadsden and ignore everybody else.

Add in Allen having a 20+ yard run, and the offense proved quite explosive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom