The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jim Boeheim was very emotional after the game: "I told our players this was probably as good a regular-season bounce-back win that I can remember at Syracuse," said Boeheim, in his 36th season as coach. "We were just so woeful (Saturday) night. To come in here with that atmosphere to start the game and play the way we did I thought was tremendous….I don't think I've ever had a game where not one guy did anything," Boeheim said. "Not only didn't they do anything, but they played badly -- every guy. "I watched the tape twice because I couldn't believe what I was watching -- seniors making defensive errors, missing easy shots. It was just an awful experience. If we'd have played that way here tonight, we would have gotten beat by 30 points." What was interesting is that, publicly, after the Notre Dame game, he was rather calm and didn’t overly criticize his players: “We battled back as hard as we could…we tried as hard as we could…We couldn’t make shots to get back in the game but I give Notre Dame credit for that.…I thought our defense wasn’t great but it was OK….I thought we fought as hard as we can fight”, etc. etc. I think Jim decided that hammering his team in public, (and maybe in private) was not the best way to pull them out of their funk. Then they came through and won and he was able to express his true opinion of what happened Saturday. Handling the situation like that may have made tonight’s win possible.

- Cincinnati came out hitting three pointers from way downtown, often with a defender in their faces. They hit 4 of 5 to take a 6-15 lead and the SU players had to have the “here we go again“ feeling. Last year’s team started 18-0 and then, once they lost, tumbled to 18-4. Would it happen again? No. The outside shots weren’t falling but the SU players attacked the defense and found they could go right to the basket. They did so with a 9-0 run to tie the game. It was back and forth after that but we pulled ahead at the end and got a huge win.

- It was the veteran players that led the way. Kris Joseph had been 1 for 6 with two ugly turnovers at halftime of the Notre Dame game. In the last 60 minutes of play, he’s 11 for 17 and has scored 27 points.

- Scoop Jardine scored 13 points, had 6 assists and no turnovers. Since he had a 3 assist, 6 turnover game vs. Marquette, Scoop, in five games has an assist to turnover ratio of 37-6, (better than 6 to 1).

- Brandon Triche scored 11 points, grabbed 3 rebounds and stole 4 passes. He was key when we made the 21-7 run that gave us command of the game, with a nothing but net three from way out, a steal and two assists that took it from 40-42 to 48-42.

- After the bearcats started 4 for 5 from outside, they went 4 for 20. Two point shots that go in count more than three point shots that don’t.

- Both Baye Keita and Rakeem Christmas came up small vs. Notre Dame and it’s bullish center, Jack Cooley. But Rak decided to show up tonight. Yancy Gates got Cooley’s numbers: 16 points, 10 rebounds. But Christmas answered with 4 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks. It wasn’t a Fab-level performance but at least were competitive underneath and that’s what we need- for now. (“We love you Fab…we truly do….”)

21-1 and 18 to be done….. Impossible is nothing!!!!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

"Woeful." What a perfect word! I heard on WAER that he had his players watch the tape for themselves, and he rarely does that. Anyone know anything else about this tidbit? Seemed to have worked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom