The View From Here III | Syracusefan.com

The View From Here III

SWC75

Bored Historian
(working without a box score)

Firstly this will be little noted or long remembered expect by those who watched it but this was one of our better wins ever. Carleton is the Wooden-Era UCLA of Canadian college ball. They've won 9 of 11 national titles and three in a row, the last one by 50 points. They eat touring US teams for lunch, having beaten three of them already this year, all by double figures, the last Wisconsin who is usually pretty good. Last year they lost to Louisville by a point and the Cardinals went on to win our national title. Rick Pitino said they could certainly have competed in the Big East. They had an all-senior line-up and have been playing all summer as Canada allows them to do. They beat Wisconsin the night we beat McGill but their last previous game was 10 games before. We were playing four new guys and had only two seniors, one of whom was hurt. It was our third game in three nights for a team far from mid-season conditioning or form, a team that had never played together as a unit. We absolutely stunk up the joint in the first half, fell behind by 15 points midway through the second half but still came from behind to win 69-65 in overtime. We were the team playing with more energy and confidence at the end. The game exposed several weaknesses. Some of them might be fixed before the season or at least the ACC season begins. Some may not. But at least we know what they are. This game was why JB went to Canada, not those first two comedies.

CENTERS

DaJuan Coleman continues to try to put on dribbling exhibitions in the paint. He never just goes straight up with the ball. He's still probably our best rebounding center but gets out-hustled to balls too often. Christmas, after looking pretty good the first two games was ineffectual tonight. Keita, the one with no upside, continues to be our most effective player, playing great defense, blocking shots and hustling to the ball at all times. But he has no offensive game at all. Even put-backs are an adventure. Still, it was our size and athleticism inside that was the biggest factor in the game. Carleton is a very good team but they couldn't match that.

FORWARDS

CJ gave it a shot but his leg was bothering him. He didn't have the normal movement or hops. During our comeback he scored a spectacular-lay-up through sheer determination and fell hard, re-injuring it and came out of the game. I hope we don't see him again until November, even if there is a another gamer tomorrow night against another good team. That game means nothing compare to CJ's health. Jerami Grant was held in check for much of the game but dominated late in the second half and overtime. He's learned how to drive on guys and get fouled. Sometimes he cans till make the basket. But he can get to the line and he's draining the free throws. That's what Carmelo and Hak could always do. Even if the shots weren't falling, they could get to the line and score while fouling defenders out. He fouled out one of their big men and had to be guarded by a 6-2 guy. He kept scoring over him and carried the team on his back down the stretch to victory. BJ Johnson hit a couple of shots but neither he nor Michael Gbinije were big factors in this one.

GUARDS

I think we're all in love with Tyler Ennis by now. He plays like a senior. In the first two games he showed he could keep things on an even keel, not forcing things and distributing the ball to everybody. In this game we got to see what he would do when things were going badly and someone needed to take over. He didn't shrink from the challenge. Instead he drove trough the defense over and over again. He actually didn't make many field goals, (I saw a graphic that said 4 for 17) but like Grant got to the line, (7 for 7). He never made a silly pass or got tangled up in the defense, trying to do too much. But he's the one that got our comeback going. People in the chatroom were wondering if he might already be better than Michael Carter Williams, who could make big plays but also some awful ones. Regardless of of the answer you'd give to that, you've got to love that the question is being asked.

Trevor Cooney hit some shots but you still wonder where he is right now. There was one sequence before the half when Trevor had a wide-open three and missed and their star, Phil Scrubb, drained a long one at the other end for a 6 point swing. Late in the game, Cooney tried to pass to Grant, who was being guarded by a guy 6 inches shorter, with a bounce pass, thus completely negating the advantage. The result was a turnover. The guy's been with the program for three years now. Maybe he's just not a smart player.

Ron Patterson saw little action, which was probably fortunate after his 1 for 12 performance against Bishop's.

So Cooney has his first and only turnover of the 3 games and now he's not a very smart player?

Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Cooney has his first and only turnover of the 3 games and now he's not a very smart player?

Ok.

Yeah, I actually think Cooney's been one of our better guys in terms of taking care of the basketball, even dating back to last year.

It's slowing down a bit on his shot that's still taking some time, but his shot has looked a lot better the past two games. Not talking about percentages, but just the way his shot is looking.

It wasn't really even the fact that he threw a bounce pass, but the fact that he made the entry pass at such a horrible angle which allowed the defender playing grant on that side to easily poke the ball away... All he needed to do was dribble over a bit, close the distance and make the pass at an angle that wouldn't allow a defender to get around grant. One thing about Cooney that concerns me is his lack of composure and nature to rush everything offensively, which leads to miss shots and lazy turnovers. He did play better today that 80% of games last year, which leads to a glimmer of hope in my eyes.

It wasn't really even the fact that he threw a bounce pass, but the fact that he made the entry pass at such a horrible angle which allowed the defender playing grant on that side to easily poke the ball away... All he needed to do was dribble over a bit, close the distance and make the pass at an angle that wouldn't allow a defender to get around grant. One thing about Cooney that concerns me is his lack of composure and nature to rush everything offensively, which leads to miss shots and lazy turnovers. He did play better today that 80% of games last year, which leads to a glimmer of hope in my eyes.

Lazy turnovers? Again, he's had exactly 1 turnover in 3 games. And yes, that angle pass wasn't good, but in the 3 games, he's made that pass probably 10 times and is the only one that gets it to the bigs with that entry pass.

Ok.

Leo was all over him for that play, which came late in the game when every possession counted. (And I said "Maybe".)

Unless we are playing a team with a lot of size, I'm starting to think we can't play Roc and DC2 together. They are just taking up space. Especially once Roberson is in the mix, he's got to see the floor so needs some of their minutes. This is not the first time BMK has been (by far) the most effective of the 3 bigs, either so maybe it's one at a time and roughly even time among the three unless a light goes on, or they learn some moves like Arinze developed. Ennis will need to play 35 mins+ a game a la Flynn. Amazing that we are already starting to take him as a given, after just 3 games. Already trust him and his decision making more than MCW. Impressive, gutsy win.

Lazy turnovers? Again, he's had exactly 1 turnover in 3 games. And yes, that angle pass wasn't good, but in the 3 games, he's made that pass probably 10 times and is the only one that gets it to the bigs with that entry pass.

I was grouping in last year with the lazy turnovers... What about when he was outside dribbling around late in the game with the clock running out and passed backwards to Ennis who was forced to take very long three to beat the buzzer... Doesn't go down as turnover, but overall wasn't his best decision making... I'm not saying he's bad at all... I can see his improvement already and it's only August

If he did it 10 times correctly earlier in games, then the fact that he didn't do it again late in a game says what? That he knows what he should do, but got lazy on that possession?

Cooney really has composure issues. It almost seems like hes trying way to hard out there. He just needs to settle down a little a bit...maybe ennis can teach him a thing a two about composure.

If he did it 10 times correctly earlier in games, then the fact that he didn't do it again late in a game says what? That he knows what he should do, but got lazy on that possession?

No--it only means he made 1 ill advised pass.

The problem (and really the only problem) with MCW was his maturity. He was not a mature player. He was emotional and tended to do rash things. Ennis is the exact opposite. He's like Triche - iceman. Except he has complete command of everything. The tempo, the game situation, his own composure and confidence level. It is absolutely amazing to watch this kid. They had 5th year seniors who have gone 126-4 over their careers full court pressing him the entire game and I don't remember him making a turnover. This kid is still a month away from his first official practice as a freshman!

SWC, I thought Gbinije was a big factor in our comeback. He might not have scored a ton, but he was instrumental on several defensive plays and helped push the ball on the other end. He also chipped in at the 3 after CJ got hurt and played well.

No--it only means he made 1 ill advised pass.

I disagree... If you do it 10 times correctly then the 11th should come natural... Especially late in a game where possessions become important and turnovers are costly... So none of that had to do with rushing?? Guess he didn't feel like dribbling over

I disagree... If you do it 10 times correctly then the 11th should come natural... Especially late in a game where possessions become important and turnovers are costly... So none of that had to do with rushing?? Guess he didn't feel like dribbling over

Whether the 11th play comes "natural" or not has nothing to do with laziness, as you imply above.

Players make mistakes--expecting perfect execution at all times is asinine. Players are also more prone to make mistakes when they are tired, which sometimes happens at the end of games when they've expended a lot of energy clawing back from a big deficit. Players also tend to make more mistakes when they are relatively inexperienced, which Cooney is.

No need to make any more out of it than it actually was. I'd be much more concerned about Cooney making that play in February, after a whole season of starting / playing extensively if he doesn't start than I am about it happening in an exhibition game in August, after a mere 5 practices, when he is just beginning to get acclimated to a bigger role.

Leo was all over him for that play, which came late in the game when every possession counted.

Yep. Leo mentioned how he could have taken a better angle. First turnover of the 3 games. Not sure I heard Leo say he wasn't a very smart player because of 1 turnover.

Whether the 11th play comes "natural" or not has nothing to do with laziness, as you imply above.

Players make mistakes--expecting perfect execution at all times is asinine. Players are also more prone to make mistakes when they are tired. Players also tend to make more mistakes when they are relatively inexperienced.
Inexperience??... You learn from a young age to dribble over to make an entry pass into the post and send it in from a better angle so your big can hold off his defender... You are acting like I said he's terrible... Kid mad a bad play and like you said it happens. I'm also not sure where I'm quoted as saying I expect perfection. I will be quoted as saying it was a lazy pass. It's a learning experience and I'm sure it won't happen again... He's a smart kid... Free pass

These last two sentences re: Cooney are inaccurate. Particularly the second one.

The second one is a matter of opinion. Regarding the first: he redshirted, played last year and this is his third year.

Yep. Leo mentioned how he could have taken a better angle. First turnover of the 3 games. Not sure I heard Leo say he wasn't a very smart player because of 1 turnover.

Leo specifically said that you don't use a bounce pass to a 6-8 guy being guarded by a 6-2 defender. He went on about it for several sentences.

Cooney is a work in progress. He made a couple of big shots down the stretch. But at one point he missed 3 consecutive wide open 3's. He was 2-8 from the arc for the game. After 2-7 in the first game and 3-4 in the second game. 7-19 for the trip so far. I think he will improve but will it be enough especially this year? We really need him to shoot well and be a 3 pt threat opponents have to respect to open up driving lanes for others. I'd like to see BJ get some time at the 2g as he looks like the next best 3 pt threat.

Unless we are playing a team with a lot of size, I'm starting to think we can't play Roc and DC2 together. They are just taking up space. Especially once Roberson is in the mix, he's got to see the floor so needs some of their minutes. This is not the first time BMK has been (by far) the most effective of the 3 bigs, either so maybe it's one at a time and roughly even time among the three unless a light goes on, or they learn some moves like Arinze developed. Ennis will need to play 35 mins+ a game a la Flynn. Amazing that we are already starting to take him as a given, after just 3 games. Already trust him and his decision making more than MCW. Impressive, gutsy win.
I think your thinking is short-sighted. DC2 needs to develop because if he does the team will be unstoppable. Got to try and get that.

Sure, it seems like Roberson can give more on O than Rak but once again doesn't seem to be big picture smart. Keeping Rak happy via a token start is the best way to keep him for next year, when Rak is key. No reason to rush the frosh into action.

I can't understand all the criticism of TC. He makes one mistake in an otherwise well played 30 minutes and people go silly about it. There should be much greater concern about DCII and Roc. Right now if you put the two of them together you'd have less than you'd like. Cooney's mistakes are going to work themselves out because he is too much of a hard worker to be satisfied with his present game.
Our bigs just seem to think their size alone is enough to keep them in the game. Neither of them are playing very smart basketball at this point after being given every chance to succeed. It's a good thing we have two months before the season starts because they are going to need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom