The Walking Dead | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Walking Dead

i disagree a bit. he is wrong about them. rick and co have never indiscriminately killed, torutured or raped. father coward saw them hack up a bunch of cannibals who had eaten and killed their friend. nothing else.
but what he's right about is that they are not to be trusted; Rick and Carol are already prepping for a takeover of the peaceful community

Hey, look! Walking Dead and Syracuse, together at last! http://.com/how-would-syracuse-legends-fare-on-the-walking-dead/

CuseCPT said:
Season finale was fantastic. Maybe my favorite TWD episode to date.
are the Ws the saviors from the comic and are they skipping the big walker invasion of Alexandria and going to the human v human conflict with neagean?

are the Ws the saviors from the comic and are they skipping the big walker invasion of Alexandria and going to the human v human conflict with neagean?
I haven't read the comics, but on another forum I read someone mentioned that theory.

The food plant might be one of the Wolves (Savior's) "satellite" lookout stations, if it is mirroring the comics.

The food plant might be one of the Wolves (Savior's) "satellite" lookout stations, if it is mirroring the comics.

Have you read all the comics? I want to start reading them but not get ahead of the TV series. I like to be as surprised as possible and not waiting for stuff to happen.

I know most people say read the book/comic book first, but I think TV and movies are better at creating tension and like to do it the other way around.

Have you read all the comics? I want to start reading them but not get ahead of the TV series. I like to be as surprised as possible and not waiting for stuff to happen.

I know most people say read the book/comic book first, but I think TV and movies are better at creating tension and like to do it the other way around.

I have read all of the issues up to the beginning of "All Out War". I stopped two issues into that story line. I have the books, but have not found time to read them. Reading the comics does not necessarily mean you will spoil the show. Kirkman has stated that, although there is a clear link, they are separate entities. I like seeing the differences between the two. The TV show is Kirkman's playground because it allows him to explore "what if" scenarios from the comics.

the show is off the comics at this point, enough so i have no idea where the show is going.

fyi - you can youtube the entire series. a bunch of people post vids as soon as the next issue is released.

So I've binge watched all 5 seasons starting in January when my wife took up night classes and my son went to bed. I finished up season 5 last night, which conveniently coincided with my wife's finals. I'm caught up on the show, but not the fan theorizing, and haven't ever read the comics so if my thoughts aren't original I'd like to be clear that I'm not making any claim to that.

Anyway, I think there's an interesting underlying conflict in this show revolving around how the individual influences society, and how the society influences the individual.

By this I mean, it is clear that Rick Grimes is a product of his environment. His behavior has changed in response to the greater conditions around him. However, Rick is also a pivotal figure in shaping those conditions - his presence changes the dynamics of every new group he encounters.

The more I think about it though, I don't think Rick is on a hero's journey. I think he's actually on a villain's journey. The characters talk a lot on the show about the line between a good person and a bad person, and that in their current world good people often resort to bad things so it's harder to tell them apart. Rick doesn't stand completely outside of moral ambiguity, but I don't think he can be defined by being good or bad, he's just defined by what he is - a conqueror. Every group he's encountered (has been destroyed, with a handful becoming part of the constellation around him. The mortality rate around Rick ain't good though. It's not clear if death is just a consequence of the state of the world they're in, or if Rick brings death wherever he goes.

I think Rick's a sympathetic bad guy.

So I've binge watched all 5 seasons starting in January when my wife took up night classes and my son went to bed. I finished up season 5 last night, which conveniently coincided with my wife's finals. I'm caught up on the show, but not the fan theorizing, and haven't ever read the comics so if my thoughts aren't original I'd like to be clear that I'm not making any claim to that.

Anyway, I think there's an interesting underlying conflict in this show revolving around how the individual influences society, and how the society influences the individual.

By this I mean, it is clear that Rick Grimes is a product of his environment. His behavior has changed in response to the greater conditions around him. However, Rick is also a pivotal figure in shaping those conditions - his presence changes the dynamics of every new group he encounters.

The more I think about it though, I don't think Rick is on a hero's journey. I think he's actually on a villain's journey. The characters talk a lot on the show about the line between a good person and a bad person, and that in their current world good people often resort to bad things so it's harder to tell them apart. Rick doesn't stand completely outside of moral ambiguity, but I don't think he can be defined by being good or bad, he's just defined by what he is - a conqueror. Every group he's encountered (has been destroyed, with a handful becoming part of the constellation around him. The mortality rate around Rick ain't good though. It's not clear if death is just a consequence of the state of the world they're in, or if Rick brings death wherever he goes.

I think Rick's a sympathetic bad guy.

Interesting take for sure but I think Abraham summed it up nicely: "Simply put, there is a vast ocean of that you people don't know about. Rick knows every fine grain of said . And then some."

Despite that, he is (at least tenuously) holding onto the good guy within. For now.

Well ? Season 6 opening thoughts?

I'd never read Otto's theory until now; that Rick is on a villain's journey. Or at least how a good guy - well intention-ed - becomes a bad guy. I can see that and some of it played out Sunday night. His inner circle is even starting to question who he is at this point; good guy or bad guy? Daryl, Michionne and of course his long lost friend. Rick justifies it by saying he doesn't take chances anymore. He's almost become the governor at this point, he's clearly is a bully who rules by some fear and intimidation.

one thought I had from the other night is just how stupid it was to herd the zombies out of the quarry. they built walls to herd them but they couldn't build a wall to keep them contained in the quarry? the noise was attracting others? they could have kept them contained in the quarry and devised ways to kill them off.

Well ? Season 6 opening thoughts?

I'd never read Otto's theory until now; that Rick is on a villain's journey. Or at least how a good guy - well intention-ed - becomes a bad guy. I can see that and some of it played out Sunday night. His inner circle is even starting to question who he is at this point; good guy or bad guy? Daryl, Michionne and of course his long lost friend. Rick justifies it by saying he doesn't take chances anymore. He's almost become the governor at this point, he's clearly is a bully who rules by some fear and intimidation.

one thought I had from the other night is just how stupid it was to herd the zombies out of the quarry. they built walls to herd them but they couldn't build a wall to keep them contained in the quarry? the noise was attracting others? they could have kept them contained in the quarry and devised ways to kill them off.
Why herd them 20 miles away and let them loose? They could get distracted, turn around, and be back in a day or two.

I'd herd them to the top of the quarry, then off a cliff to drop back in. Many would fracture skulls and be gone while others would bust legs, etc and no longer be a threat to leave. Which brings up another thought: How did they all get barricaded in the quarry, intact and functional, in the first place? Did I miss an explanation from Heath or did someone else herd them there for storage? Like the Wolves who have shown a proclivity for using walkers in traps?

Why herd them 20 miles away and let them loose? They could get distracted, turn around, and be back in a day or two.

I'd herd them to the top of the quarry, then off a cliff to drop back in. Many would fracture skulls and be gone while others would bust legs, etc and no longer be a threat to leave. Which brings up another thought: How did they all get barricaded in the quarry, intact and functional, in the first place? Did I miss an explanation from Heath or did someone else herd them there for storage? Like the Wolves who have shown a proclivity for using walkers in traps?

Wondered that myself. I didn't catch an explanation
and I thought the trucks were pretty neatly positioned. Has anyone ever even seen a tractor trailer in quarry? I haven't.

Herding them back off the cliff would've been a good idea if you're going to let them out.

I'm pretty sure they basically said that, from their best guess, the people working in the quarry blocked it off when there was a much smaller number of zombies down there. And then the noise being made both from moving those trucks as well as the zombies drew MORE zombies, who then fell down into the quarry. And so on, and so on, as more noise was being made and more zombies were drawn by it.

Why those trucks were at the quarry in the first place was odd. I didn't catch any reasoning for that. Seems like they could have had dump trucks and/or bulldozers, bucket loaders, whatever instead, but I'm not too worried about it.

What I'm excited about is that, as the episode was ending, I realized what sequence they're setting up for next episode. And that sequence eventually leads to the introduction of one of my favorite (good guy) characters in the comics. And now that I've confirmed that this character has been cast and IS being introduced soon, I'm even more excited.

Glen is gonzo. Not sure what death I preferred, the comic book death or the show death.

Is Jesus going to save the day next week ? He's a character I'm really hoping they introduce and next week with Rick seemingly trapped in the RV is a good time for an intro. Sort of mimics his comic intro.

Damn. I liked that RV.

Now it has built-in air conditioning? ;)

Haven't they learned yet that RV's = unreliable in the Zombie Apolcalypse? They are always breaking down and never start when you need them too.

Now it has built-in air conditioning? ;)

Haven't they learned yet that RV's = unreliable in the Zombie Apolcalypse? They are always breaking down and never start when you need them too.

Especially when you unload a full ammo clip into them. :rolleyes:

Glen is gonzo. Not sure what death I preferred, the comic book death or the show death.

Is Jesus going to save the day next week ? He's a character I'm really hoping they introduce and next week with Rick seemingly trapped in the RV is a good time for an intro. Sort of mimics his comic intro.

I agree about the comic book version. That was particularly heartbreaking and brutal. This was still a shocker though. My son kept talking at the screen from the beginning "...better waste Nicholas now because he's going to take someone with him." We thought he was going to pull a Shane and shoot Glenn so he could get up on the fence. Scott Gimple's message to Talking Dead was pretty cryptic about Glenn's 'future', but did say we would be seeing some "parts" of him again. And they never bid Glenn goodbye on their "In Memorium..." segment. I hope he's not gone, but I just don't see how they can plausibly get him out of that alley alive.

In the comics, Heath pretty much took over the role of Glenn, in that he was the "go to town guy", the supply runner.

Especially when you unload a full ammo clip into them. :rolleyes:

Hey, Rick wasn't thinking about the shiny dash and stereo when he unloaded that clip. They just don't build RV's like they used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom