The worst part of the ACC move | Syracusefan.com

The worst part of the ACC move

He can't have much left in him can he? He is complete ACC homer and a nightmare to listen to

Patrick is an ACC homer...but remember, we're going to actually be in the ACC. Will he get the memo that he now needs to slant his commentary toward us?

I've thought this too, but I assume that ESPN will shuffle around their coverage and broadcast teams because the Big East will not be a primo product anymore and they'll hopefully be devoting Monday night space to the ACC and assigning their best team McD/R/B to some ACC games.

If you are a Northerner(Cuse) and move to the south(ACC), you will never be a Southerner(ACC). Syracuse will be an outlier to most for at least the next ten years.

I can't believe nobody is upset about having to play Boston college twice a year in bball. They may be the worst division one team in the country. They lost to every d1 team in boston area this year and really have never been historically significant. We're trading playing UConn and Lille twice a year for that? We better play a tougher occ schedule else it's going to be a boring bball season. I was at the Garden today and it was 80% cuse, what are all the NYC alumni going to do?

If you are a Northerner(Cuse) and move to the south(ACC), you will never be a Southerner(ACC). Syracuse will be an outlier to most for at least the next ten years.

We'll be the hated Yankee invaders.

I hope it's for at least 20 years. :)

No joke. If you think the officiating is bad and biased now...dont expect to get too many favorable calls in the near future.

No joke. If you think the officiating is bad and biased now...dont expect to get too many favorable calls in the near future.

But they'll love us everytime we knock off Duke and UNC. :)

I can't believe nobody is upset about having to play Boston college twice a year in bball. They may be the worst division one team in the country. They lost to every d1 team in boston area this year and really have never been historically significant. We're trading playing UConn and Lille twice a year for that? We better play a tougher occ schedule else it's going to be a boring bball season. I was at the Garden today and it was 80% cuse, what are all the NYC alumni going to do?

I gotta be honest here, I am just so damn glad they didn't pair us with PU. Frankly I am amazed that they didn't because pairing us with PU would have been a significant advantage to Duke/UNC who run the conference. Knowing our epic struggles against the Gougers, we would be lucyk to go 1-1 in those games each year. Instead we get an almost automatic 2 conference wins per year against BC.

For other reasons, I'd really have preferred for us to get Maryland and PU to get BC, but I can live with this setup.

I would have preferred NCST we have history with them they got julius hodge and we wound up with HAK.

BC is cheapest for travel, and they must feel like they are keeping the North teams North. Probably makes some sense.

The worst part is going to be when we beat UNC and Dirty goes to make that same kind of steal with 2 seconds left in the game after we blow them out, but good ole' Roy will have already pulled himself, his staff, and all his players except for the walk-ons off the floor and they'll have to watch from the locker room.

If, say, UConn and another northern team join to make 16, suddenly the politics become normalized.

Wake, NC State, Duke and UNC comprise the NC block. Many ACC voters refuse to defy them, based on the strength.

UConn, BC, Syracuse and Pitt become the Northern block.

We still have a lot of lose cards. Where the other teams may fit.

FSU/Miami probably vote to keep their rivalry going. Some anti Carolina bias may exist.

Maryland probably goes north, like whoever joins with UConn. ND is the dream here. Notre Dame and UConn recreate the ACC entirely. Rutgers becomes the new ACC kid sister. Any team chosen besides ND will have serious thank yous to give out. Most think UConn is the likely northern school chosen, based on BCS credentials and power basketball program.

Clemson and Ga Tech. Both kind of wild cards that want to be football schools.

Virginia and UPI vote together depending on their crazy state government at the time.

Until expansion, the conference was dominated by the NC mafia. Right now, Syracuse and Pitt make voting close enough where it is at least possible that Maryland and somebody choose to defy the powers that be in NC and decide to go their own way. BC, Syracuse, and Pitt allow some measure of voting strength, perhaps enough to free Maryland, Miami and perhaps others who have gotten sick of North Carolina like the rest of us.

The mere fact that relocation of the ACC tournament to somewhere BESIDES North Carolina has been considered is a huge improvement. Look at the history, the ACC tournament only leaves that little state once in a dozen years. Syracuse may be able to make a change in the entire culture of the ACC, along with kid sister BC and sidekick Pitt.

I am not exagerratting. The ACC tourney has been in other states besides North Carolina 10 times since 1954. The only other locations have been Maryland and once each in DC and Florida.

The fact that invitation to the ACC coincided with the decision to have at least the next four years of ACC tournaments in the state of North Carolina is not a good sign. Our first two years at least in the ACC tourney will be as visitors to tobacco row.

God, I hate the ACC, and wish we had made at least one or two smart decisions as a conference over the last 20 years to make ourselves viable.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030603aaa.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

The last decision that anybody can unanimously agree was a good decision was the decision to take on Miami as a football school. When was that?

Yup.
We'll be hated throughout the ACC.
We'll be a "northern" team.
Ironically, we'll be taking a little of that heat off Duke...which is considered a "northern" team (because of its rep & large number of non-southern students).

Unfortunately, none of this can ever make up for the loss of getting at G-Town.
I LOOOOOAAAAATHE G-Town!
One thing about the ACC...they appreciate arch-rivalries.
Sadly, we don't.
And our program will be diminished because of it.

Makes for good theatre, but not really present day reality, at least not in the metro NC cities and suburbs. There are so many northeastern and midwest transplants down here, it's much more common to meet/interact with them vs. people who are actually from here...at least in my now 18 years of experience.

Makes for good theatre, but not really present day reality, at least not in the metro NC cities and suburbs. There are so many northeastern and midwest transplants down here, it's much more common to meet/interact with them vs. people who are actually from here...at least in my now 18 years of experience.
Well, I've lived in SC for almost 15 years and there is still a bias from those that are "Locals". You are right about the transplants, but the common expression still is "don't tell us how you did it in the north."

Well, I've lived in SC for almost 15 years and there is still a bias from those that are "Locals". You are right about the transplants, but the common expression still is "don't tell us how you did it in the north."

I referenced NC for a couple of main reasons. They have by far the larger metro areas (financial markets) and most equate the good 'ol boys club when it comes to the ACC being here.

SC has much more rural and uneducated people per capita, higher unemployment and poverty which makes up more of the 'local' pool. Columbia, the capital city, is an armpit and very small town(ish). Greenville, is much nicer, especially the downtown area, however, these are much smaller cities where North vs. South is indeed more commonplace...where you still do not have to wear a helmet when motorcycling. :crazy:

I referenced NC for a couple of main reasons. They have by far the larger metro areas (financial markets) and most equate the good 'ol boys club when it comes to the ACC being here.

SC has much more rural and uneducated people per capita, higher unemployment and poverty which makes up more of the 'local' pool. Columbia, the capital city, is an armpit and very small town(ish). Greenville, is much nicer, especially the downtown area, however, these are much smaller cities where North vs. South is indeed more commonplace...where you still do not have to wear a helmet when motorcycling. :crazy:
All true! You have to remember that SC was the first to secede from the Union prior to the Civil War. The eliteists often refered to it as the Late Unpleasantness. Some parts of SC have not progressed at a very rapid rate since the Civil War.
Of course, if you wanted to find similarities in NC, you could go to Wilkesboro and take a step back in time at your local diner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom