the zone | Syracusefan.com

the zone

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
take away the FT's . Take away the non TO's from Hop. Take away Lydon playing like a scardy cat on offense. Take away whatever you think about Cooney (even though he was the best player on the court tonight). Take away Malachi being terrible the last month.

the zone is beyond awful for this team. The rebounding out of it is so bad, its insane. Lydon is not THIS BAD of a player. He is good, but him playing the 5 defensively in the zone is now a joke. They immediately attack him and win. and he can't rebound to save his life out of it.

Can we please just try something else? We tried shooting 25 3's a game earlier in the year. lets try other stuff. We have legit talent on this team. We are not a 16 win team (even though i predicted 17 with Lydon playing C 3 games in).

take away the FT's . Take away the non TO's from Hop. Take away Lydon playing like a scardy cat on offense. Take away whatever you think about Cooney (even though he was the best player on the court tonight). Take away Malachi being terrible the last month.

the zone is beyond awful for this team. The rebounding out of it is so bad, its insane. Lydon is not THIS BAD of a player. He is good, but him playing the 5 defensively in the zone is now a joke. They immediately attack him and win. and he can't rebound to save his life out of it.

Can we please just try something else? We tried shooting 25 3's a game earlier in the year. lets try other stuff. We have legit talent on this team. We are not a 16 win team (even though i predicted 17 with Lydon playing C 3 games in).
Where would he be playing if we were in man to man? It would be worse.

um, who do you think he'd be guarding in m2m (w/o Coleman in)?

I am guessing you are talking Lydon... I don't think it would be worse. The kid is a player and a gamer. He should be able to at least box out of m2m.

I am guessing you are talking Lydon... I don't think it would be worse. The kid is a player and a gamer. He should be able to at least box out of m2m.
Nope. he was isolated like in man to man and was abused. man or zone, we just can't defend the post. Not his fault. He isn't a 5 While we are talking about KJ leaving, we migth start talking about Chin as well.

You think this team is bad in sone? It would be a disaster in m2m...

Opposing guards would go by Cooney and G like they were stuck in cement exposing the interior of our D. Coleman would foul out in the first half of every game and Roberson by the 10 minute mark of the second. Every team would iso Lydon with either a quicker guy or s bigger guy. Malachi is probably the only guy who can guard his position m2m. Roberson could but he would would get a ton of fouls because of how bad the guards would be. The one reason this team stays in games is the zone.

Also most of the boards we give up are because we don't box out or weird bounces on threes... Stuff which wouldn't change in m2m

Also most of the boards we give up are because we don't box out or weird bounces on threes... Stuff which wouldn't change in m2m

you lost me on this 1 dude. Of course it would change. Like weird bounces and actually having a guy to box out.

Nope. he was isolated like in man to man and was abused. man or zone, we just can't defend the post. Not his fault. He isn't a 5 While we are talking about KJ leaving, we migth start talking about Chin as well.

well, its nice to finally have people agreeing to what i got absolutely ABUSED for saying earlier in the year.

But i disagree. i think he would be better out of man because of his heart and hustle.

He hasn't been able to body anyone up on the boards. He gave up one on a missed foul shots. He playing out of position that's for sure, but we don't have another option.

This is such a misconception. Does a zone allow more offensive rebounds than man 2 man? Yes, but not by 30!!!! It is all about the personnel, we are lacking down low and that doesn't change because we play man 2 man. Zone actually was not bad at all tonight. The zone was bad against St. Johns, tonight it was good enough for us to have a chance to win.

If anything, the zone protects him as a 5 and masks what in many cases (in m2m) would be a glaring mismatch down low.

but in any case, regardless of type of defense being played, Lydon is not a 5

I hate the zone, but I thought it was pretty good for most part tonight. We kept Pitt way below their average for most of the game. It makes a bad rebounding team even worse, but I don't see us changing defenses now. When you only play 6-7 guys, it has to he zone.

If anything, the zone protects him as a 5 and masks what in many cases (in m2m) would be a glaring mismatch down low.

but in any case, regardless of type of defense being played, Lydon is not a 5

Maybe, but i was the ONLY person to be saying this in November. And now Im the ONLY person that is defending him. Maybe i know what I'm talking about. And maybe there can be a balance that makes us at least a tournament team.

I hate the zone, but I thought it was pretty good for most part tonight. We kept Pitt way below their average for most of the game. It makes a bad rebounding team even worse, but I don't see us changing defenses now. When you only play 6-7 guys, it has to he zone.

DEFENSIVELY the zone was fine. But it is the reason that they got so many boards. Playing good D doesn't matter when you give them 20+ 2nd chance points vs 10 2nd chance points.

No it wouldn't. Good god. I've seen so many teams double effectively out of the post. Look at what Buzz Williams did with a guy who was 6'7 guarding XMAS last year. Just double team and blitz the post hard.

AGREE with the OP. The zone is atrocious. Play man to man when Coleman isn't in and switch everything. Double team the post hard. Like blitz the outta it

well, its nice to finally have people agreeing to what i got absolutely ABUSED for saying earlier in the year.

But i disagree. i think he would be better out of man because of his heart and hustle.
No one here can dispute that this team wouldn't be better at rebounding out of M2M... They 1000% would. This team is talented and has pieces. You just need to play to their strengths. Playing zone with this incredibly thin front court makes zero sense. You are exposing your biggest weakness beyond belief.

No it wouldn't. Good god. I've seen so many teams double effectively out of the post. Look at what Buzz Williams did with a guy who was 6'7 guarding XMAS last year. Just double team and blitz the post hard.

AGREE with the OP. The zone is atrocious. Play man to man when Coleman isn't in and switch everything. Double team the post hard. Like blitz the outta it
Double the post, then scramble to find a body to box out once the ball is swung and shot. Sounds kind of like being out of position like rebounding out of the zone

Double the post, then scramble to find a body to box out once the ball is swung and shot. Sounds kind of like being out of position like rebounding out of the zone

1 guy "scramble to find a body" is a stretch. But even considering that stretch, its 80% better than 5 guys "scramble to find a body"

Good night.

Just watch UVA play or someone who knows what they're doing. If you double team hard enough (or blitz it) the big will be forced to pass it out strong side and a good defense can rotate out of that easily. If you double team soft, then yes, the big will be able to make an efficient pass to the weak side and you will be scrambling.

1 guy "scramble to find a body" is a stretch. But even considering that stretch, its 80% better than 5 guys "scramble to find a body"

Good night.
Sure, let's give up open jumpers while we double the post because every shooter imaginable doesn't have a career night against us as it is.

Sure, let's give up open jumpers while we double the post because every shooter imaginable doesn't have a career night against us as it is.

haha. seriously? we play a zone that lives on giving guys open 3's.

playing man is going to give up more? you are either delusional, dumb, or just argumentative. we know the zone isn't working. i can guess that man would be better. and you should be at least open to the dialogue.

Good night.
No, usually more than one guy has to rotate. Not sure how doubling would positively affect rebounding.

But your a genius and only opinion that matters

Night bud

haha. seriously? we play a zone that lives on giving guys open 3's.

playing man is going to give up more? you are either delusional, dumb, or just argumentative. we know the zone isn't working. i can guess that man would be better. and you should be at least open to the dialogue.
It's a cat and mouse game with the zone. You give up some things and take away others. In the past two seasons we have given up a lot of open threes, there is no denying that. In years past however the zone has forced teams to shoot themselves out of the game. This team may have been better suited for m2m if we started playing m2m from day one...but we didn't. Put us in a man defense now and our slides would be God awful which means we would give up a ton of layups. I would rather have teams jacking threes than getting layups. Yes, we practice man in practice but you don't really get slides down until you do them in games. At this point, stick with the zone and work the underclassmen for next year when we will have a strong front court. Switching to man now would be fatal in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom