There is a whole lot of | Syracusefan.com

There is a whole lot of

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
suck in college hoop. As bad as we are, and we are bad, thewre are a lot of teams we play that suck. Anyone watch B.C. and Pitt tonight? They suck. Every game will be tough for us, we just beat Va Tech by 2 in a game their 3rd best player didn't play in. Still, as I said, a lot of suck out there.

We are not bad, we do not suck.

Central Arkansas is bad and they do suck at 0-13.

We as fans are and have been spoiled. We are in a rebuilding/transition year.

If I asked you before the season started, what is the worst record we could have after 14 games. What would you have said? 10-4?? And we could have lost two more in La tech and Va tech. That is pretty much suck. We don't talk about Central ark here

If I asked you before the season started, what is the worst record we could have after 14 games. What would you have said? 10-4?? And we could have lost two more in La tech and Va tech. That is pretty much suck. We don't talk about Central ark here

Maybe we should talk more Central Arkansas here. A sub-board perhaps?

It could be like an outreach program for schools that nobody cares about. We could adopt them and send their players fan mail and care-baskets...:noidea:

It could be like an outreach program for schools that nobody cares about. We could adopt them and send their players fan mail and care-baskets...:noidea:

"The university's athletic teams are known as the Bears for men's teams and Sugar Bears for women's teams.

It wasn't until 1920 that the UCA athletic teams had a mascot. According to Dr. Ted Worley, author of A History of The Arkansas State Teachers College, the UCA teams from 1908 to 1919 were referred to by many names, including: Tutors, Teachers, Pedagogues, Pea-Pickers, and Normalites. In 1920 the Bears became the mascot for the teams. However, it wasn’t until April 7, 1921, that the teams were called the "Bears" in print. Dr. Worley also quoted sources as saying the Bear was an appropriate symbol for the school because Arkansas’ nickname was the "Bear State". The women's teams were known as the Bearettes for several years. The name of Sugar Bear came later. Victor E. Bear came about in 1999 and Victoria E. Bear came soon after. Bruce D. Bear became the newest addition to the UCA family in 2006."

"The university's athletic teams are known as the Bears for men's teams and Sugar Bears for women's teams.

It wasn't until 1920 that the UCA athletic teams had a mascot. According to Dr. Ted Worley, author of A History of The Arkansas State Teachers College, the UCA teams from 1908 to 1919 were referred to by many names, including: Tutors, Teachers, Pedagogues, Pea-Pickers, and Normalites. In 1920 the Bears became the mascot for the teams. However, it wasn’t until April 7, 1921, that the teams were called the "Bears" in print. Dr. Worley also quoted sources as saying the Bear was an appropriate symbol for the school because Arkansas’ nickname was the "Bear State". The women's teams were known as the Bearettes for several years. The name of Sugar Bear came later. Victor E. Bear came about in 1999 and Victoria E. Bear came soon after. Bruce D. Bear became the newest addition to the UCA family in 2006."

That was a way more compelling read than I could ever have anticipated.

The Sugar Bears...lol

Even the "good" teams kind of suck. college basketball as a whole is just not that good right now (not like it used to be).

Last edited:

Central Arkansas does get a lot of play on here, my cousin actually goes there lol.

OH, so Victor E. Bear's older brother is going to be more fierce than the younger sibling. This is good information.

I moved to Sryacuse for 1 year in 1981. I never switch allegiencies for the only time I did for the hoops team. I did so because of the fans . They loved the team no matter what. They were not spoiled like they are today. It was infectious and truly a wonder- waitresses, barbers, grocery clerks to banker and high profile jobs all loved the he team. I was amazed by how positive things always were. This has changed and I'm sorry about this but it's not stopping me. I love to be positive and hopeful for every game no matter the record. I think some dissect the game too much and lose the Forrest for the trees as they focus on the negatives.

Last edited:
suck in college hoop. As bad as we are, and we are bad, thewre are a lot of teams we play that suck. Anyone watch B.C. and Pitt tonight? They suck. Every game will be tough for us, we just beat Va Tech by 2 in a game their 3rd best player didn't play in. Still, as I said, a lot of suck out there.
We're not bad. We're mediocre. Problem is, we haven't been mediocre in so long, it just feels as if we're bad.

Love how people say we could have lost name how many more. Well we didn't.

The people who have been down on this team since the beginning of the season, will continue to be. Cause as much as they would like to be proven wrong. They also want to be able to say "I told you so".

Last edited:
That was a way more compelling read than I could ever have anticipated.

The Sugar Bears...lol

...and their gymnastics team is called the Gummi Bears and their sumo team is called the Teddy Bears.

Love how people say we could have lost name how many more. Well we didn't.

The people like you who have been down on this team since the beginning of the season, will continue to be. Cause as much as you would like to be proven wrong. You also want to be able to say "I told you so".
Stop that!!! I want to see syracuse win as much or more than anyone here. You haven't been here long enough to know better. I travel all over the country to watch this team over the years. I have also seen jb work miracles. The only thing that can save this team, imho, is that college basketball isn't very good right now. Teams struggle to get 30 pts a half. And it isn't because the d is so good. I hope we make the tournament. That would be a great achievement for this squad. But it wouldn't mean they are good.

We could have won three more too with decent play down the stretch.

Stop that!!! I want to see syracuse win as much or more than anyone here. You haven't been here long enough to know better. I travel all over the country to watch this team over the years. I have also seen jb work miracles. The only thing that can save this team, imho, is that college basketball isn't very good right now. Teams struggle to get 30 pts a half. And it isn't because the d is so good. I hope we make the tournament. That would be a great achievement for this squad. But it wouldn't mean they are good.

A friend indeed, the ignore button is.

yoda.jpg

yeah just ignore CuseHulk he really doesnt go by anything more than blind optimism. And thats ok, its a fan forum. But we are somewhere between mediocre and bad, and thats not going to change this year. I give them a pass. We arent built like Duke or KU where u can lose multiple studs each year. Ennis was a dagger, but its only gonna be a 1 yr struggle. We will be back in the top 15 next year, status quo.

It's amazing how many people dismiss that idea.

the point is... we didnt win them because we arent good this year. good teams find a way, like we did last year for the most part.

yeah just ignore CuseHulk he really doesnt go by anything more than blind optimism. And thats ok, its a fan forum. But we are somewhere between mediocre and bad, and thats not going to change this year. I give them a pass. We arent built like Duke or KU where u can lose multiple studs each year. Ennis was a dagger, but its only gonna be a 1 yr struggle. We will be back in the top 15 next year, status quo.

just curious if you have any children - because I suspect if one of them brings home a B - will you tell them they are doing badly?

this team is not bad - to say so just qualifies you as either someone that has no idea what you are looking at.

there are 351 teams in Div 1 - we are in the top 40

just curious if you have any children - because I suspect if one of them brings home a B - will you tell them they are doing badly?

this team is not bad - to say so just qualifies you as either someone that has no idea what you are looking at.

there are 351 teams in Div 1 - we are in the top 40

in your opinion we are in the top 40. i dont agree.

and we arent comparing SU to Colgate or East Texas St. This is Syracuse. We are having a bad year for us. As is Florida, Uconn and other teams who are typically studs.

TBCuse11 said:
the point is... we didnt win them because we arent good this year. good teams find a way, like we did last year for the most part.

No. The point is you can't use the "they could have lost a couple more games" card to prove they're not a good team because they also could have won a couple more. We literally threw away the Michigan and nova games. We were up 3 late in the St. John's game. We had 1 game we got blown out, cal. The 3 other losses we were in position to win. This team is getting better, if we played cal now it would be a much different game. They're getting better, but they still suck at closing out games.

Good is a very comparative term. I like to look at the team in terms of where they are at any given time in the season. For the best part, they have improved from the beginning of the year. They show signs that they are continuing to get better.
Good? Probably not in some fans eyes. But good enough for me when I see things in almost everyone on the floor that show they are progressing.
I think they are capable of giving any team in the ACC a run for their money. Will they finish in the conference top three, probably not but I think they will be part of the bracket in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom