There is no bigger JB fan than me but... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

There is no bigger JB fan than me but...

Ahh, the Blame Game.

You are unhappy with the results, so you find out who is the blame. And it's easy if you can just find the person in charge.

It's not a blame game. It's the accountability game.

That's an excuse. We've been giving walkons scholarships way before sanctions.

We've struck out on guys, that's the reason.
No. That isn't the reason. We lost on on guys we wanted for a number of reasons. For one thing, having just two coaches on the road at any one time. Common sense tells you that you can't recruit as well as when you have four. Another is having limited ships to give out. It's one thing to not want to use them, it's another not to have them to use. There is a reason we don't have any sr's on this squad. And it's not just guys leaving early or misses.

No. That isn't the reason. We lost on on guys we wanted for a number of reasons. For one thing, having just two coaches on the road at any one time. Common sense tells you that you can't recruit as well as when you have four. Another is having limited ships to give out. It's one thing to not want to use them, it's another not to have them to use. There is a reason we don't have any sr's on this squad. And it's not just guys leaving early or misses.
I'd love to know if the unsettled situation with JB and hop, until it was settled, had an affect on certain recruits. I'm honestly curious.

I'd love to know if the unsettled situation with JB and hop, until it was settled, had an affect on certain recruits. I'm honestly curious.
I don't know but let's put it this way, it couldn't have helped us. You need everyone pulling in the same direction. I don't believe that was the case over the last few years.

I don't know but let's put it this way, it couldn't have helped us. You need everyone pulling in the same direction. I don't believe that was the case over the last few years.
I'm not certain there's any way we could tell, but it would be interesting to know.

There’s nothing more annoying than a guy who posts nonsense over and over who knows nothing and takes a a view 500 miles away from the Beltway and continuously tells us how much potential Georgetown has. Are we sure Townie isn’t a Georgetown troll?

It did. I'm not going to say recruits passed us over just because of the uncertainty but recruits and their coaches knew about it and I'm quite sure it was a factor.

This doesn't prove anything but is an interesting anecdote nonetheless: a prominent NJ high school coach told me when Hop was still at SU that the coach/ his players THOUGHT the plan was for Hop to take over. His expression, body language and tone suggested more than a little ambiguity. The coach has a solid relationship with SU, just to be clear. He wasn't saying the situation was bad but it was clear no one knew exactly what the succession plan was.

There’s nothing more annoying than a guy who posts nonsense over and over who knows nothing and takes a a view 500 miles away from the Beltway and continuously tells us how much potential Georgetown has. Are we sure Townie isn’t a Georgetown troll?

He literally doesn't follow recruiting but feels the need to chime in on it since he has this odd obsession with defending JB at every turn. No matter what. It's essentially trolling.

Oh, it’s true. You haven’t been watching close enough. Inbounding the ball under our basket has been an issue for years.

It absolutely has been a problem. Only thing that worked in recent years was the occasionally dive to the basket usually when the defense has a breakdown.

JB has his share of the responsibility for the sanctions. I guess we can agree to disagree whether we should have been hit with them.

We deserved sanctions, I'm not sure anyone can objectively debate that. Now, the extent and severity of the sanctions, well, that is a horse of a different color.

Big misses on the recruiting trail? Do you mean those guys that keep going to the NBA early?

Questionable management of the roster? Questionable by whom? You?

I'm referring mostly to JB's misses relative to the most critical position in the game, lead guard. We have not had a true floor general since Ennis left. JB pursuing the graduate transfer market the past two years should really speak for itself. You can choose to defend JB under any and all circumstances as you do, but the roster is his responsibility and he has come up short there. So yes, I am questioning our roster based upon what appears to be the team's overwhelmingly obvious shortcomings, most notably on offense. Just my opinion...

We deserved sanctions, I'm not sure anyone can objectively debate that. Now, the extent and severity of the sanctions, well, that is a horse of a different color.

I'm referring mostly to JB's misses relative to the most critical position in the game, lead guard. We have not had a true floor general since Ennis left. JB pursuing the graduate transfer market the past two years should really speak for itself. You can choose to defend JB under any and all circumstances as you do, but the roster is his responsibility and he has come up short there. So yes, I am questioning our roster based upon what appears to be the team's overwhelmingly obvious shortcomings, most notably on offense. Just my opinion...

Kaleb Joseph was a big miss. That was a Hop recruit and a rare case where Hop's evaluation was poor. I liked Kaleb in highlights. I've been flat out wrong about KJ all along the way. Thought he'd be solid at SU. Thought he'd wind up playing well at Creighton this year too. Maybe next year? LOL.

Then there's the Quade eggs-in-one-basket debacle.

Oh, it’s true. You haven’t been watching close enough. Inbounding the ball under our basket has been an issue for years.

I just had a Paul Harris flashback. Thanks. :mad:

It did. I'm not going to say recruits passed us over just because of the uncertainty but recruits and their coaches knew about it and I'm quite sure it was a factor.

This doesn't prove anything but is an interesting anecdote nonetheless: a prominent NJ high school coach told me when Hop was still at SU that the coach/ his players THOUGHT the plan was for Hop to take over. His expression, body language and tone suggested more than a little ambiguity. The coach has a solid relationship with SU, just to be clear. He wasn't saying the situation was bad but it was clear no one knew exactly what the succession plan was.

Don't take this the wrong way but so did every single person here.

Can someone ask Boeheim why we keep running that corner baseline inbounds play?

I'm not even trying to be funny. It's just so ridiculous that we run it multiple times a game and turn it over 1-2 of those times.

Stop it.

It's like we're trying to get double teamed. EVERY TEAM WE PLAY knows that play.

It's like we're trying to get double teamed. EVERY TEAM WE PLAY knows that play.

We keep running the same... Everything. The JB Defenders At All Costs cannot give a legit argument for why it's the case... You know, other than "42 years, 1,000 wins, HOF." They can't defend running the same everything as a strategy. I don't get it.

Huh.

It’s a metaphor for taking a position and defending it relentlessly. I’d be hesitant to take that approach with “there’s no difference between the freshman class at Kentucky and ours” but I think most internet arguments are silly and I try not to get bogged down in any one in particular.
Again... I only used Kentucky as an example that you can win with youth. I never compared SU to Kentucky

It's not a blame game. It's the accountability game.

Well it's not an "accountability" game because random internet complainers don't have any power to hold anybody accountable.

What they can do is assign blame. And stamp around the family room throwing couch pillows.

Well it's not an "accountability" game because random internet complainers don't have any power to hold anybody accountable.

What they can do is assign blame. And stamp around the family room throwing couch pillows.

I don't get upset during games of any sport to make me throw anything.

You dodge questions, you bring zero defense and you're basically wondering why people complain or make rational discussions to a msssage board.

I don't get upset during games of any sport to make me throw anything.

You dodge questions, you bring zero defense and you're basically wondering why people complain or make rational discussions to a msssage board.

I refuse to answer questions that are framed in particular ways.

My general impression is that there are a small number of chronic complainers on here who are trying to relieve their frustration or to try and exhibit their own brilliance.

And these people don't like to be told they are FOS.

Does that shoe fit?