There is no question whatsoever that the next HC is going to have a season or two where we are worse than a bubble team | Syracusefan.com

There is no question whatsoever that the next HC is going to have a season or two where we are worse than a bubble team

Alsacs

Living Legend
JB’s greatest strength is that we never bottom out. His worst seasons are bubble seasons we don’t make it.
That needs to be said.
Now saying this we need changes within the program(not saying HC change at all for the record he is here atleast till Buddy graduates)

B0EFB255-2621-46AD-9DA8-61080EEDEF7D.gif

Why?

It might be PROBABLE that it occurs that way, but it isn't "no question whatsoever." i want to see who the AD hires before buying into that logic.
Look at Arizona this year.
We could have a season like that in the next coach’s first year.
I don’t expect the program to be well stocked for the next coach and unless it’s somebody in staff we can’t assume the next coach will play 100% zone.

JB’s strength is at our worst we are bubble level.

Last edited:
If we're recruiting for the zone, when the next coach doesn't play zone and the players "can't play man" and suck on offense, I can see us around .500.

Look at Arizona this year.
We could have a season like that in the next coach’s first year.
I don’t expect the program to be well stocked for the next coach and unless it’s somebody in staff we can’t assuke the next coach will play 100%.

JB’s strength is at our worst we are bubble level.

I don't dispute that JB has had unparalleled consistency.

And I don't dispute that your prediction is logical.

But it is far from certain, and isn't a given. I personally think Wildhack is going to go big. This hire will definie his career as an AD, and he's a 'Cuse fan as much as we are.

I don't dispute that JB has had unparalleled consistency.

And I don't dispute that your prediction is logical.

But it is far from certain, and isn't a given. I personally think Wildhack is going to go big. This hire will definie his career as an AD, and he's a 'Cuse fan as much as we are.
Even Roy Williams had a season that wasn’t even bubble at UNC.
His 2010 season he went 16-16 before a miracle run to the NIT title game.
I think it’s a safe bet our next coach will have a season like that.

Even Roy Williams had a season that wasn’t even bubble at UNC.
His 2010 season he went 16-16 before a miracle run to the NIT title game.
I think it’s a safe bet our next coach will have a season like that.
grad transfers can help as long as time graduations right.

If we're recruiting for the zone, when the next coach doesn't play zone and the players "can't play man" and suck on offense, I can see us around .500.

We were lectured in another thread that we do not "recruit for the zone", and that such notions are laughable..

Wow. The loyalist are down to
" at least we make a 68 team tournament" unreal.
We are Syracuse. Not Fing Georgia north texas liberty south prairie attct
Central east west Western college of the city college of mothers of St Francis Sons of City college of Bradley

Some people like to preface their opinions with "no question whatsoever" so people won't argue with them. .
If you think that about me you couldn’t be more wrong.
I don’t care if people disagree with me as long as they are disagreeing with the argument and not just looking to fight me.

Wow. The loyalist are down to
" at least we make a 68 team tournament" unreal.
We are Syracuse. Not Fing Georgia north texas liberty south prairie attct
Central east west Western college of the city college of mothers of St Francis Sons of City college of Bradley

I love the word loyalist. Why aren’t you loyal
to SU?

JB’s greatest strength is that we never bottom out. His worst seasons are bubble seasons we don’t make it.
That needs to be said.
Now saying this we need changes within the program(not saying HC change at all for the record he is here atleast till Buddy graduates)

I did a study a decade ago, (when people wanted JB fired), in which studied what happened after the top 25 winnigest major college football and basketball coaches retired, (or got fired or died). 84% of the time his successor had a lower winning percentage. The key is to be the next guy after that.

Even great programs don't go from one Hall of Famer to another. UCLA has had 10 coaches scine John Wooden retired in 1975. The one with the most wins is Ben Howland. North Carolina didn't go from dean Smith to Roy Williams. kentucky didn't go directly from Rick Pitino to John Calipari. there are exceptions: Louisville went from Denny Crum to Pitino and Kansas went from Williams to Bill Self. They had the courage to bring in a guy who had been a successful head coach elsewhere.

In my study, new coaches with prior experience as head coaches replaced 'legends' with an average winning percentage of .714 and had a winning percentage of their own of .665. Coaches with no previous head coaching experience replaced legends with a .710 winning percentage and had a .573 percentage of their own.

Still, I'll be shocked if JB's successor isn't a current member of the staff. if that doesn't work out, then we'll look elsewhere.

My money would be on this, because, how on Earth will JB leave the cupboard fully stocked???

I really think the recruiting for the zone thing is way overbaked. All of these kids play primarily m2m before they get here and if the coach knows how to teach, can have them playing it well relatively quickly. Length translates well to any defense.

I love the word loyalist. Why aren’t you loyal
to SU?
Im unbelievably loyal to Syracuse University. In my opinion the University comes first before the coach.

Im unbelievably loyal to Syracuse University. In my opinion the University comes first before the coach.

Then why use the word loyalists, which some others do too.

We were lectured in another thread that we do not "recruit for the zone", and that such notions are laughable..

Are you real? My goodness.

I did a study a decade ago, (when people wanted JB fired), in which studied what happened after the top 25 winnigest major college football and basketball coaches retired, (or got fired or died). 84% of the time his successor had a lower winning percentage. The key is to be the next guy after that.

Even great programs don't go from one Hall of Famer to another. UCLA has had 10 coaches scine John Wooden retired in 1975. The one with the most wins is Ben Howland. North Carolina didn't go from dean Smith to Roy Williams. kentucky didn't go directly from Rick Pitino to John Calipari. there are exceptions: Louisville went from Denny Crum to Pitino and Kansas went from Williams to Bill Self. They had the courage to bring in a guy who had been a successful head coach elsewhere.

In my study, new coaches with prior experience as head coaches replaced 'legends' with an average winning percentage of .714 and had a winning percentage of their own of .665. Coaches with no previous head coaching experience replaced legends with a .710 winning percentage and had a .573 percentage of their own.

Still, I'll be shocked if JB's successor isn't a current member of the staff. if that doesn't work out, then we'll look elsewhere.
Prepare to be shocked.