There is no question whatsoever that the next HC is going to have a season or two where we are worse than a bubble team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

There is no question whatsoever that the next HC is going to have a season or two where we are worse than a bubble team

What is your obsession with that tool?
Probably the fact that he’s winning and is the most logical young option for our next coach assuming Hop chooses to continue at UW.

If he makes the tournament next year after losing the core of this team, then he is the real deal.

That was a complete waste of time, SWC75. All that, and completely worthless and irrelevant to my post.

Elderly people "hit the wall" all the time. My father was still working at 75 (out of financial desperation). And by 80, the car keys had been confiscated.

This topic obviously hits a lot of nerves, and I do not take it lightly - and I did not "declare that someone can no longer coach because of his numerical age."

Without reading further, his examples of K and Calhoun answer your post. I’ve never came across a post of his id label as a waste of time

Unbiased analytics

That was a complete waste of time, SWC75. All that, and completely worthless and irrelevant to my post.

Elderly people "hit the wall" all the time. My father was still working at 75 (out of financial desperation). And by 80, the car keys had been confiscated.

This topic obviously hits a lot of nerves, and I do not take it lightly - and I did not "declare that someone can no longer coach because of his numerical age."
Bit harsh, man.

SWC brings good info, IMO. No snark, no bias - it's a welcome change, for this forum.

I recall in the debate over Coach Pasqualoni in football that there seemed to be a split between those who were loyal to the coach and deflected any criticism of him and those who were loyal to the school and thought we could do better. I was in the latter group although i never got to the point of wanting him fired- i thought his record was too good to justify that. I favored changes in the staff. Instead a new AD came in fired him and brought in a guy recommended by a coach he knew from his old job. That was a disaster and we've spent years crawling out of the resulting hole.

There have been several times in JB's history when people have gotten impatient with him being the coach. One was in the late 90's, when recruiting had fallen off. one year our outstanding recruit was James Theus, a good defensive guard who couldn't shoot. Then there was the legendary Greg Davis. We got Ethan Cole to transfer here. JB made Mike Hopkins his lead recruiter and brought in Troy Weaver and we won the national championship a couple years later.

Then in the late 2000's, we had a series of disappointing years: two first round NCAA losses, (it would have been three in a row without GMAC going off on BYU in 2004), followed by two NIT years. I still remember
the trip home from the UMASS loss in the 2008 NIT, where we'd somehow blown a 24 point second ahlf lead to lose to the Minutemen for the second time that year in the Dome. I stayed away from the board for a week because the people who wanted Boeheim out were in command. Their arguments were exactly what we have been hearing now.

People like to break seasons up to turn them into streaks. We were 19-8 late in the 2008-9 season when we started playing the sort of fanatical defense that has keyed our best post season runs., (we beat St. John's by 29, Cincinnati by 24 and Rutgers by 30 while holding them to an average of 54 points). That keyed a 9-2 finish, including the 6OT game, which was the beginning of a 155-28 run through the 25-0 start of 2013-14. The biggest change during that time was the switch to 100% zone, which appeared to be a great idea.

In both the 1990's slump and the current one we were coming off a probation, which can have an impact for years after it's over. You don't want to do anything wrong again or get worse penalties. We've also had things happen like DaJuan tearing up his knee and Darius Bazley opting for the G league, as well as guys who were not quite blue chip talents opting for the NBA before they had maximized their skills.

It think the idea that JB could coach at 70 but not at 74 is a bunch of crap. We've made two strong NCAA runs and beaten Duke several times in this "bad" era. I'm more receptive to the idea that the current group of recruiters might not be the right guys. head coaches are always heavily dependent on their staffs to line up the right recruits for them to 'close'. Everybody loses some of them. Maybe we need another Troy Weaver on the staff. There's nothing wrong with this program that wouldn't be solved if we could just recruit at least a good college center and point guard.
Once again the most reasonable poster on this board comes through with an accurate assessment (IMO)

bozophobe said:

Just wondering - is there an example, in the history of college basketball, of a team improving or performing well as their head coach progressed into his middle seventies and beyond?

I didn't know what we'd find so I did the whole list, (of D1 coaches). I did not see another way to answer the question. I thought the results were interesting but i agree it left the question unanswered.

I think it's hard to project how the post-JB situation will unfold unless we know how it will happen.

When Hop was coach-in-waiting you could identify what changes would likely happen (probably some diversification of the defense, maybe a little more up tempo, definitely more energy from the HC), what we may lose from the HC spot (JB's depth of knowledge, his experience, etc).

But now, I don't know what to expect. Part of me expects that JB may coach until... well, I don't know.

Barring a third probation (which I think would trigger an immediate need for him to exit), does he finish after Buddy? Does he coach until he physically can't anymore?

My worry is the coaching staff is filled with ex-players and I'm not sure how much they can impact JB's strategy, vision, etc. Maybe they do quite a bit and I'm just ignorant to it. Wildhack's first big hurdle was signing Dino to an extension. His next, and likely his most lasting imprint, will be handling the transition from an icon in JB to the next coach. JB, for most people, *IS* Syracuse basketball. I know some people were around when JB was a player or an assistant coach, but even for someone like me (turning 40 this year), JB is SU basketball.

I will say, if nothing else, I'd worry about our next coach being able to pick up the torch without our recruiting upticking in the near future.

He’s more likely to get an extension for stability. It doesn’t mean he will last that long, but it might help with recruiting.