There is not an NBA player on this roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

There is not an NBA player on this roster

Is the defense better in the NBA than in college? Probably because you have elite athletes at every position.
Just for context I grew up on 90’s NBA. Peak defense. Peak physicality. My favorite team is the Jazz because I loved their toughness and defense.
So when I say I see no defense in the NBA well that’s where I’m coming from. I hate to see guys score 50 on the regular or 150pt games.
The game now favors the offense, just like the NFL does. No argument there. Let's not pretend like the defense in the 90s was "good defense" all the time though. Laying out players is not basketball.

The game now favors the offense, just like the NFL does. No argument there. Let's not pretend like the defense in the 90s was "good defense" all the time though. Laying out players is not basketball.
No no. I was no fan of laying guys out. The Detroit bad boys(Laimbeer) for example.
I like good physical defense. Back when a big body tough PF was appreciated.
I loved our zone defense when we had the athletes to play it to perfection. Holding teams to 50 points was better to me than scoring 100.

Quoted for emphasis.

With the exception of a consistent jump shot, Judah has the tools to play professionally. He's quick, his handle is tight (could be better), he's athletic and finishes well at the rim.
If any of that was true at an nba level, last night doesn’t happen. He’s a good p5 freshman. Nothing more than that

Judah is really quite an unorthodox player. He has a good handle, overall, his athleticism is solid, if fairly unremarkable. He is not in the mold of Starling -- the modern NBA PG, big, best athletes on the floor, electric speed and explosive finishing. Judah has shades of some of this but he is a more nuanced player, he is forced into being a craftier player. Despite what I believe are certain physical limitations he gets to the line a lot. He needs to add physical strength more than anything. But his production as a freshman is getting him picked in the 2nd round this year were he to declare -- make no mistake about that

Jesse had the looks of one for the first half of the season, but I have no idea what has happened to him. He no longer elevates like he did on the glass and certainly not on his post moves. His footing was always a bit off, but now it is horrid.

And Judah… If you were not told that he is supposed to be an NBA prospect, how could you ever pick him out? He is ok in transition. Not sure what else he is good at. Maybe we have to hope he stays and we bring in a pg he can play along?

We are never going to reach the top of the league again, or the top 25 without a pro type player. Maybe not even an NBA guy, but a Fair, ROC, Silent G type etc. We have nothing close. 12-7 seems about right…
Not sure who if any from this team plays an NBA game. Here are some previous teams that were loaded with NBA guys: 88-89 Douglas
Thompson
Coleman
Owens
D. Johnson
R. Manning

89-90 Douglas
Coleman
Thompson
Johnson
L. Ellis
R. Manning

09-10 W. Johnson
Rautins
K. Joseph
A. Onuaku
Southerland

Many of these guys made rosters and had no more than a cup of coffee in the league.

If any of that was true at an nba level, last night doesn’t happen. He’s a good p5 freshman. Nothing more than that
You see what you want to see. He has the tools and needs to put it together. We can dig up the threads that talked about him being one and done. Now that he had his worst game, he doesn't have professional level talent. Got it. He's playing like a freshman while Joe Girard, the senior, has had multiple games this year where he's played a significant role in them dropping. One of the two should know better. I'll let you figure out who.

Proof is in the numbers

Points per game is going way up. Free throws are going way down. Personal fouls are going down. Blocks and steals are going down. All the former NBA players will tell you that you can’t play defense in todays league.
You can’t play physical at all. If a team is scoring 150 pts in a regulation game you will not tell me that defense was played.
Most of what you are describing is explained by more reliance on the three point shot

Quoted for emphasis.

With the exception of a consistent jump shot, Judah has the tools to play professionally. He's quick, his handle is tight (could be better), he's athletic and finishes well at the rim.
His handle is tight?

Judah can make the league. And we should hope he does, it helps the program the more guys in the league we have.

He can beat guys 1 on 1. He needs to figure out help D and subsequent decisions in those situations and he needs to be a bit stronger because he can get to the rim, but he has to get better at finishing. His shooting will come around when he gets to the NBA, not at Syracuse (and that's not a knock - it's the way it is). He needs to focus on lifting the team and not getting into these imagined 1x1 match ups.

Benny has the pre req athleticism, but he would really have to put it all together at some point before his career is done to get drafted. But he's clearly someone they'll keep an eye on.

Maliq in a long shot if he fills out and keeps growing his production could get a look.

Bell and JT are shooters, so if either of them balled out to be like 42% from three on volume, maybe?

All our guys can play pro somewhere if they want, just keep that in mind. The NBA isn't the only league.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing with the premise if your premise is "we need better talent". I'm with you. But I also don't want to dismiss the inherent talent/potential talent we have.
One aspect of the NBA would suit Judah: the inability to clog the lane on defense. It’s not clear that he could beat NBA defenders. Just force him left. He really needs a 3 pt shot and a step back.

Board arguments used to be about whether our top guys would be lottery picks, or just a first rounder.

I don't know who on this team will end up having an NBA career, but it's very obvious we don't have the talent we used to. It's a bummer.

Taylor might have the best pro potential. Good size for the position and takes and hits tough shots. Already a strong kid. Can he defend the 2 would be the question.

There is defensive effort in the NBA. The all star game is what it would look like without D. Regardless, unless the D can cheat the O always has the advantage.

Defense in perspective: an offense will score a bit over 1 pt/possession. About half of missed shots might be due to factors other than defense. Perhaps a ģood D is only a factor 1/4 of possessions?

there’s pretty much the worst formula playing out year after year with this program- no high draft picks and not being ranked. Kids want both. We have neither
There is a solution to our problem. A lot of fans don’t care to hear it. Deep down we all know it’s the only answer.

Taylor might have the best pro potential. Good size for the position and takes and hits tough shots. Already a strong kid. Can he defend the 2 would be the question.

Who knows. If you would've told me Joe Harris (whom played at UVA) a decade ago would have the career he has had and still be on an NBA roster today (Brooklyn Nets) I'd never had believed it.

You see what you want to see. He has the tools and needs to put it together. We can dig up the threads that talked about him being one and done. Now that he had his worst game, he doesn't have professional level talent. Got it. He's playing like a freshman while Joe Girard, the senior, has had multiple games this year where he's played a significant role in them dropping. One of the two should know better. I'll let you figure out who.
I’ve said right along he’s not ready. What does he do at an elite level? He’s tiny. He’s not Allen iverson

Last edited:
Who knows. If you would've told me Joe Harris (whom played at UVA) a decade ago would have the career he has had and still be on an NBA roster today (Brooklyn Nets) I'd never had believed it.
JT should pray to his higher power every night that he has a college career (let alone a pro career) like Joe Harris. All ACC as a Junior and ACC championship as a senior and double digit scorer all 4 years.

Believe it or not, I saw an article a month ago about just ACC players I think that had a CHANCE to play in the NBA some day. For SU it listed Jesse, Judah and…..Chris.
I think JB would agree with that assessment.

I’ve said right along he’s not ready. What does he do at an elite level? He’s tiny. He’s not Allen iverson
Do you watch the NBA now or are you basing this off your childhood memories of Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and ignoring the other 450 players that were in the league? Was Scottie Brooks better than Judah?

Do you watch the NBA now or are you basing this off your childhood memories of Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and ignoring the other 450 players that were in the league? Was Scottie Brooks better than Judah?
The NBA is fast paced. Drivers rely on a lightning quick dribble or a quick first step. The driver has to be able to react to the defense. Judah is a ball pounder, lacks creativity on his drives and he has no outside shot. Flip shots do not cut it in the show. Given the plethora of talent in college ball plus euros, he has a long way to go before being a second rounder.

Last edited:
The NBA is fast paced. Drivers rely on a lightning quick dribble or a quick first step. The driver has to be able to react to the defense. Judah is a ball pounder, lacks creativity on his drives and he has no outside shot. Given the plethora of talent in college ball plus euros, he has a long way to go before being a second rounder.
I think if he leaves he has a chance at getting drafted, that said, unless he develops a shot I doubt he would ever get much run in the league.

not much defense is played

Come On Please GIF by NBA

I recognize the irony of using James Harden here.

Judah is an NBA player Bank on it. You know maybe he's not just being coached or used the right way but even nonetheless he's still showing that he is I mean he scored or he's been the only score we've had last two games averaging 20 some odd points in six assists I would say that looks like NBA to me

Believe it not, Bell has the best chance. An athletic 2 once he fills out.
I would say Judah because he has the most athletic ability and I think in the NBA I think getting him to have the right mechanics to have a good jump shot is probably one of the easiest things for an NBA coach assistant coach to teach.
Jesse is very intriguing but I just don't think he'll make it because he's just he's too thin I don't think he can bulk up if he could yes I think he definitely could play and Bell I've seen some games where he's played very well and down the road sure I think you could but just say that Bell has more intrigued than Judah I don't understand that because you're just automatically assuming that Judah has no chance to fix his shot which I don't know where you get that from.
I would rather have judah's Talent skill leaves it all on the floor kind of reminds me of a D Rose type but obviously did not shoot as well but he can get to the basket with the best of them this season and that's a gift and I would take that over what bell has to offer right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom