These polls are a joke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

These polls are a joke

Not sure what’s funny about that. Are you a PED state fan in disguise?

UNC can score. Rutgers didn’t score more than 17 all season in conference play. UNC would be at least a 10 point favorite on Rutgers.

These Big teams outside of Ohio State and Purdue have zero idea how to play offense.

They are stuck in the 3 yards and cloud of dust era.
My point was one game doesn’t necessarily define a team. UNC is clearly better than Rutgers but by no means was UNC a good team. penn st would blow out Rutgers 9/10 times just like we would most likely blow out UNC most of the time

Not really. If you get the first part about getting what I'm trying to say, then my question certainly can't be wrong as it can not actually be answered/determined under the current format.
Yes, really. I think you’re trying to determine the wrong thing using the wrong criteria and reaching a wrong conclusion.

I’ll agree that nobody can conclusively day that OU can beat tOSU (or the other way around), but I disagree that either there is no way of definitively knowing who should get an invite and/or that any test would be solely confined to which team would win in a hypothetical game.

Penn State beat Pittsburgh and lost to Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State
Kentucky beat Florida and Mississippi State and lost to Tennessee, Georgia and Texas A&M.
Florida beat LSU and lost to Georgia, Kentucky and Missouri.

These polls are so bias too the SEC and Big Ten.

No way should our resume with losses to #2 and #3 be below these teams.
The SEC doesn’t deserve 4 teams in the NY6 but because the preseason polls affect conscious of the voters it kills over achieving teams with the same win loss record.

Let's pump the brakes...all those teams you mentioned would beat us, some wipe us.

PSU getting a NY6 invite is a joke.

App State went the distance with them, and their two good wins were Pitt and a close loss to Ohio State.

All abput the $$$$$...PSU travels like crazy.

georgia will be out of discussion after getting beat by bama, ucf has no top 25 wins. Oklahoma vs ohio state is in the eye of the beholder but as of now i would have ohio state just ahead

Which is kinda funny given they would have lost to Bama and then LSU on the road. As if OU and OSU would have won done there. UGA would be favored on a neutral over either one of those squads.

Which is kinda funny given they would have lost to Bama and then LSU on the road. As if OU and OSU would have won done there. UGA would be favored on a neutral over either one of those squads.
UGA lost to LSU 36-16
Alabama beat LSU 29-0.

UGA beat a bunch of medicore SEC East teams and Auburn/Georgia Tech.
They don’t belong in if they lose to Alabama.

Oklahoma won’t stop anyone but they will score on Alabama.
Ohio State has the most talent of any team not Alabama. They have more than Clemson not by a lot by they do.
Both of those teams belong in if Georgia loses.
Georgia is a physical team that if the D can slow down their run game causes their offense trouble. Fromm is inconsistent as a passer and Fields needs team to develop a passing game.

Let's pump the brakes...all those teams you mentioned would beat us, some wipe us.
Yeah Kentucky would wipe us out.
My god if you are going to troll try do better.
You were the one pumping up Scott Shafer’s chances against Kentucky 2 weeks ago but as usual Shafer’s team lost by multiple scores. We aren’t a plucky mid major anymore.

All abput the $$$$$...PSU travels like crazy.
If you only knew the rules you would know fans traveling have nothing to do with the NY6.
It’s the top 12 teams ranked in the CFB playoffs. It doesn’t matter if Penn State or its UConn it doesn’t matter if you travel or not.
That is why it’s a joke Penn State is ranked 11th when they haven’t beaten
anyone good this year except Pittsburgh and Wisconsin both of whom are 7-5.

If you only knew the rules you would know fans traveling have nothing to do with the NY6.
It’s the top 12 teams ranked in the CFB playoffs. It doesn’t matter if Penn State or its UConn it doesn’t matter if you travel or not.

So...who should get PSUs spot?

I have no way of proving anything, but fan traveling = $$$$$, and I don’t think that I live in a world where money doesn’t drive decisions in CFB. Again, I can’t prove anything, and I might just be cynical, but people make rankings and people like money.

But to your point, PSU getting in this is a joke - regardless of the motivation/reason.

So...who should get PSUs spot?
Washington should be ahead of Penn State.
They beat Utah and Washington State on the road.
They played a game at Atlanta against Auburn.
They lost two road games at Oregon in OT and at California by 2.
They have the same record as Penn State who has beaten no one good.

I have no way of proving anything, but fan traveling = $$$$$, and I don’t think that I live in a world where money doesn’t drive decisions in CFB. Again, I can’t prove anything, and I might just be cynical, but people make rankings and people like money.

But to your point, PSU getting in this is a joke - regardless of the motivation/reason.
I understand but traveling fanbases aren’t why Penn State is 11 it’s because they were preseason top 10 and thus perceived good and when they lost they were higher ranked and winning moved them back up.

Washington will have a chance to move up when they play in PAC 12 championship against Utah on Friday.

I understand but traveling fanbases aren’t why Penn State is 11 it’s because they were preseason top 10 and thus perceived good and when they lost they were higher ranked and winning moved them back up.
Maybe

But while we’re opening cans of worms, I’d also question as to why they were preseason #10. I think that there is a systemic bias towards big schools. And I get that the coaches/writers are separate from the committee, but I think that all of the above are motivated by money. Again, I may be wearing a tin foil hat, but money breeds corruption, and the money being thrown around is staggering.

Washington will have a chance to move up when they play in PAC 12 championship against Utah on Friday.
Fine then Washington and Washington State should both be ahead of Penn State and Florida after this weekend.
Neither Florida or Penn State belong in the NY6.

I don’t care what they did to a 2 loss Michigan team at home.

I mean, in fairness, Michigan had 1 loss before the game was played, and they had not lost since Labor Day Weekend, and they had the nation's #1 defense, and Ohio State scored 62 points. That win matters.

I mean, in fairness, Michigan had 1 loss before the game was played, and they had not lost since Labor Day Weekend, and they had the nation's #1 defense, and Ohio State scored 62 points. That win matters.
Matters? Sure. Matters enough to overcome the Purdue loss and put them into the FF? No.

And I’m not sure that cherry picking which losses to count and not count is right. Michigan is 10-2.

UGA lost to LSU 36-16
Alabama beat LSU 29-0.

UGA beat a bunch of medicore SEC East teams and Auburn/Georgia Tech.
They don’t belong in if they lose to Alabama.

Oklahoma won’t stop anyone but they will score on Alabama.
Ohio State has the most talent of any team not Alabama. They have more than Clemson not by a lot by they do.
Both of those teams belong in if Georgia loses.
Georgia is a physical team that if the D can slow down their run game causes their offense trouble. Fromm is inconsistent as a passer and Fields needs team to develop a passing game.

Think about that statement; "they don't belong if they lose to Alabama" .. lol

UGA has crushed everybody they played this year other than losing a game down in Death Valley. Nobody else in the country other than Bama could go down there and win that game.

The case against both OU and OSU is so easy I don't know where to begin. OU went to OT against Army in Norman. Army had the ball for over 45 minutes. I respect Army but c'mon man. They also gave up 500+ yards against Kansas and 40 points also in Norman. Helllooo? The O/U on punts for Bama if they played OU would be one and I'd take the under.

OSU got crushed by Purdue, was lucky as hell to beat PSU, gave up 51 to Maryland and was life and death with Nebraska. You can talk about talent all you want but OSU was very disappointing this season and rewarding them for one good game is a joke. The SEC is light years ahead of the B1G this season. Not even close.

As an aside, this season is close to a perfect reason why the FF exists with Alabama, Clemson, and ND all undefeated.

As an aside, this season is close to a perfect reason why the FF exists with Alabama, Clemson, and ND all undefeated.

It seems every year the top three have been pretty much unquestioned and then the fourth spot is open for serious debate. I believe they've gotten it right each time in the past. Their approach seems have to been who are the best four teams?

Alsacs, I feel like you're all over the place with your take on PSU. Your OP only acknowledges their win against Pitt which is their 3rd best win of the year. Then in Post #59 you say Penn State hasn't beaten anyone good except for Pitt and Wisconsin. But then this post says PSU hasn't beaten anyone good at all.

And then none of your posts acknowledge their win against Iowa who is ranked #15 in the ESPN power index and is by far their best win of the year.

It seems every year the top three have been pretty much unquestioned and then the fourth spot is open for serious debate. I believe they've gotten it right each time in the past. Their approach seems have to been who are the best four teams?

The four best teams should play for the title. Uga should be in without question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom