Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway

If that pushback had any influence on the decision then heads should roll. That's a very broad but loaded statement. I'm not even sure what point there would be to even ask what the professors thought. It's not their GD business.

I hope it was strictly about $$$. Too bad we didn't have another mystery donor come forward during that process with another $25M suitcase.
I'm not sure but it didn't help. I got my info second hand locally from someone who knows the faculty. Let's just say as I was told many of them were not happy about a $2-300M project for FB and BB. Like you hopefully the chancellor took their biotching on filter and saw the big picture.

Anyways...the school is addressing the biggest issues over the next 3 years an it should make a huge difference.

I'm not going to read 6 pages about this, but in case it was not already mentioned, for games with this size attendance, maybe start letting the crowd in earlier. Who will come in that early? Probably seniors who need extra time to walk to the seats and those with kids, and the drunks will come in later...Probably a good idea for good crowd flow and control. Maybe even a pre game something on the field or on the big screens that would keep kids entertained. Maybe show some cartoons..

Gates were open at 5:30, 2 hours before kickoff. They could open 3 hours early and it wouldn't matter.

People will still show up at 7:20 for a 7:30 kickoff and be shocked that it's crowded.

Is there any chance that, once the dome roof is replaced, there can be a secured perimeter set up “outside the dome”, at the very least On the longer sides, do that people can walk outside rather than inside?

Gates were open at 5:30, 2 hours before kickoff. They could open 3 hours early and it wouldn't matter.

People will still show up at 7:20 for a 7:30 kickoff and be shocked that it's crowded.

People want to tailgate. Not about how early it was opened at all. A better alternative may be just plain restricting Dome entry to that of your nearest gate?

I'm not sure but it didn't help. I got my info second hand locally from someone who knows the faculty. Let's just say as I was told many of them were not happy about a $2-300M project for FB and BB. Like you hopefully the chancellor took their biotching on filter and saw the big picture.

Anyways...the school is addressing the biggest issues over the next 3 years an it should make a huge difference.

The reason I think the whole faculty thing is overplayed is because it would not cost SU 2-300m. Schools don’t spend that kind of money in athletic facilities. Donations do. They may have expressed concern on making a commitment when the money wasn't there yet. Even now, phase 1 is funded, phase 2 is almost there, but phase 3 isn't and is why they aren’t selling phase 3 to the public as a definite.

... A better alternative may be just plain restricting Dome entry to that of your nearest gate?

On paper it's a good idea, but I don't think it'd help.

How many people who don't give a thought to which gate is appropriate are the same people who would never check their tickets to see which gate is mandatory? 85%? 99%?

They'd all clog up the same security lines, get to the revolving doors, and make a big production when they're told it's the wrong gate.

Is it feasible, and if feasible then better, to just make all traffic flow in one direction, like a giant pedestrian rotary?

Also, would it help if the lines for concessions had those chain barriers they use at Disney and be set up snake style? The next customer up would be directed to an open attendant. It seems that could cure having 6 little lines trail into the walking area.

On paper it's a good idea, but I don't think it'd help.

How many people who don't give a thought to which gate is appropriate are the same people who would never check their tickets to see which gate is mandatory? 85%? 99%?

They'd all clog up the same security lines, get to the revolving doors, and make a big production when they're told it's the wrong gate.

Bingo

Is it feasible, and if feasible then better, to just make all traffic flow in one direction, like a giant pedestrian rotary?

Also, would it help if the lines for concessions had those chain barriers they use at Disney and be set up snake style? The next customer up would be directed to an open attendant. It seems that could cure having 6 little lines trail into the walking area.
wouldn't that make old people with tiny bladders like chip do a lap around the whole dome every time they need to take a leak?

I think the main fixed concessions are snaked, it's the cart stands in the hallways that are the biggest culprits

I think the main fixed concessions are snaked, it's the cart stands in the hallways that are the biggest culprits

No, only the permanent beer stands on the corners of the concession stands have a rope to prevent the line from pushing out into the corridors (at least on the upper level). All other stands are free-for-alls.

The reason I think the whole faculty thing is overplayed is because it would not cost SU 2-300m. Schools don’t spend that kind of money in athletic facilities. Donations do. They may have expressed concern on making a commitment when the money wasn't there yet. Even now, phase 1 is funded, phase 2 is almost there, but phase 3 isn't and is why they aren’t selling phase 3 to the public as a definite.
What exactly is phase 3? We've only heard about Del Boca Vista phases 1 and 2.

Last edited:
They didnt appear to be snaked on Saturday. I would think that would help. Half the problem I encountered were people just standing in line or people just standing. There's just no room to stop and chat but people still did.

when the dome was built how did no one every do a crowd analysis study? its not like it was the first bldg of this kind ever built.

wouldn't that make old people with tiny bladders like chip do a lap around the whole dome every time they need to take a leak?

I'm not that old.

Tiny bladder, yes.

Good point. Maybe just implement it beginning 15 minutes before the game until opening kick, then again at half-time?

when the dome was built how did no one every do a crowd analysis study? its not like it was the first bldg of this kind ever built.

$$$. Same reason they went with the inexpensive roof, didn't install an elevator for the first ten years of its life, couldn't afford to excavate for a field-level service concourse, and scrapped some of the enhancements that you can see in earlier renderings. This building was thrown together on the cheap. (Thus the importance of the Carrier gift, but we won't get into that now.)

Also, they were building for a different clientele. Remember that basketball was coming from Manley, a building with a single point of entrance, one ten-fixture bathroom for each gender, and no concession stands. (Football had a few more bells and whistles, but not a lot based on my understanding.) Nobody considered that thousands of people who were supposed to be there to watch a game would turn into roving consumers in the next couple generations.

$$$. Same reason they went with the inexpensive roof, didn't install an elevator for the first ten years of its life, couldn't afford to excavate for a field-level service concourse, and scrapped some of the enhancements that you can see in earlier renderings. This building was thrown together on the cheap. (Thus the importance of the Carrier gift, but we won't get into that now.)

Also, they were building for a different clientele. Remember that basketball was coming from Manley, a building with a single point of entrance, one ten-fixture bathroom for each gender, and no concession stands. (Football had a few more bells and whistles, but not a lot based on my understanding.) Nobody considered that thousands of people who were supposed to be there to watch a game would turn into roving consumers in the next couple generations.
it was sized for 50K for a reason though.. they had to get in and out even if there were no concessions.. I know so many places like this have that same issue, most newer ones do not. something was changed and not jus concourse size.. how do they ever get those narrow stairways thru building code back in the 80s

Well i'm gonna

There were not over 50 thousand fans there. Why lie? A "sell out" is 49,262. Just say that then. But they can't - because it wasn't a sell out.
You realize what "sell out" means right? It means all the ticket inventory controlled by the school was sold. It doesn't mean everyone showed up, or the broker sold all their tickets, or anything else.

You realize what "sell out" means right? It means all the ticket inventory controlled by the school was sold. It doesn't mean everyone showed up, or the broker sold all their tickets, or anything else.

I'm still confused how we sold 50,200 seats in a stadium that has a seating capacity of 49,262. Did we take back the ADA seating? (in your face wheelchair people and yes I'm TOTALLY joking).

Yes I realize what "sell-out" actually means.

It was not actually sold out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom