Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway

Face it...we weren’t ready for a sellout. Hasn’t happened in like 30 years. Out of practice
but that is inexcusable - the school knew the crowd was going to be massive since we won our 10th game last year. Pull out the notebook from LSU, re-read all the screw ups there and get ready. That is crazy.

CNY central covering it now so SU will have to do something the next time we have 50,000- cough - plus people in the building.

And how did the fresh air pass concept work? With the new roof I wonder if it would be feasible to move some concessions outside of the Dome proper?

This was my first thought when I saw what they did with security on the northeast corner, pushing it out to Archbold and the Quad.

A good idea, IMO, set up a couple beer tents past security (and possibility ticket-takers) in the alley.

I thought they banned going outside and re-entry or did they walk that back.

One game only I believe due to crowd size and heat in the dome

This isn't rocket science. Dome management simply needs to design a better way to alleviate congestion at certain choke points. A good start might be to hire ushers who are well trained, and specifically deployed, to keep foot traffic moving. Then move a few concession stands that are particularly troublesome. A little bit of analytics can go a long way here. I've spent time with the people who design queues at Disney World, there are a multitude of techniques that can be used that don't require building a new stadium or blowing out walls.

no doubt. but in 30 yrs they have not figure out that having no organized lines in the food areas causes issues and letting beer vendors set up show willy nilly doesnt help
A sawtooth configuration might reduce congestion, like they do with loading docs:

2019 Sawtooth Concourse Line Idea.jpg

I thought the seat styles were going to change which would reduce capacity to the mid 40s. But I could be wrong on that. If true, that would help create demand and alleviate congestion in the hallways.

when it comes to blowing out walls - isn't there a compromise solution where the load-bearing braces stay put and the non-load bearing material in between those columns can get knocked down? We don't need a new load-bearing perimeter wall, per se, just extra peripheral space. Wish I had time to sketch out what I mean.

If that is the reason it was quashed, I lose some respect for the chancellor. College faculty, as a whole, should never be given a table at AD issues, just like Dino and JB doesn't get to have a voice in which lasers the physics department needs.
I heard there was pushback for the Luxury Rebuild of the Dome from the faculty...nothing to do with building a new stadium

My group went outside at the half. It was very refreshing and much needed. Hope it continues
Agreed. Aside from the congestion, the worst part is feeling you are boiling in your own sweat.

when it comes to blowing out walls - isn't there a compromise solution where the load-bearing braces stay put and the non-load bearing material in between those columns can get knocked down? We don't need a new load-bearing perimeter wall, per se, just extra peripheral space. Wish I had time to sketch out what I mean.
Not a CE or architect but the precast concrete walls should be able to be cut open to build a secondary concourse.

I heard there was pushback for the Luxury Rebuild of the Dome from the faculty...nothing to do with building a new stadium

Define luxury rebuild.

Not a CE or architect but the precast concrete walls should be able to be cut open to build a secondary concourse.
Yes that's what I was trying to say. It wouldn't need to be a secondary concourse - there would just be some load-bearing columns at regular intervals between the old and new sections. The concessions and restrooms could move into the "secondary" concourse to create better separation. They only need to cut open the bottom 30 feet or so, do this in phases if it makes it more budget friendly. How expensive is it to remove the precast sections?

couple more things:

agree with blowing out the concourses where possible. there is room on the front of the building most certainly, though cost is certainly a factor there. I'm sure there is room elsewhere.

put seats in everywhere which will lower the capacity. 45k is just as good as 50k. there's spots to take out rows. i was in row t in 121 (the corner) and the ceiling from the 200 section literally blocked our view. the tickets didn't say obstructed view. luckily we found open seats two rows up or we would've missed all of the hof's moon shots but take out those seats and you get another few feet. every little bit would help.

There was a survey a couple of years ago sent to STH in both sports that I am pretty sure the outcome showed the University that people wanted more concessions. Taking them away would go directly against the results of that survey and I am pretty sure people complaining about concourse issues would be the same people complaining about that. A better option is when a crowd is that big is somehow people need to be driven to enter the gate closest to their seat. That would alleviate much of the problem.

couple more things:

agree with blowing out the concourses where possible. there is room on the front of the building most certainly, though cost is certainly a factor there. I'm sure there is room elsewhere.

put seats in everywhere which will lower the capacity. 45k is just as good as 50k. there's spots to take out rows. i was in row t in 121 (the corner) and the ceiling from the 200 section literally blocked our view. the tickets didn't say obstructed view. luckily we found open seats two rows up or we would've missed all of the hof's moon shots but take out those seats and you get another few feet. every little bit would help.

Here's the flaw with the "lower the seating capacity plan":

During the basketball season, every 100 level seat requires a donation. If you remove seats, you will be displacing long time donors, some of who will get bumped to the 200/300 level.

I don't want to be the ticket rep who has to tell a Premium A donor that he's being relocated to seats behind the basket, or tell a Premium C-D donor that he's being kicked upstairs.

1568738934746.png

I hope they can do something similar to this picture during Phase 2 in 2022. It wouldn't take up too much additional room on the Quad side of the Dome. They could have an outdoor terrace/vendor area on the roof. Also, on the Irving Ave side of the dome they could do a much larger addition with a large entrance, food court, etc. as this is the more trafficked side of the dome through out the year with basketball being on that side.

View attachment 170082

I hope they can do something similar to this picture during Phase 2 in 2022. It wouldn't take up too much additional room on the Quad side of the Dome. They could have an outdoor terrace/vendor area on the roof. Also, on the Irving Ave side of the dome they could do a much larger addition with a large entrance, food court, etc. as this is the more trafficked side of the dome through out the year with basketball being on that side.

Yes, but this doesn't fix the 3rd level where congestion in worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom