Things i'm hearing... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Autry succeeds, I think everyone will forget about Wildhack and rightly shift their focus to Autry and SU basketball again.

If he struggles, it will get ugly.
It would get ugly no matter who was named the new coach. Being an inside hire cranks up the ugliness factor.

That all sounds very plausible. Thank you for sharing it.

Re the highlighted part above, maybe they should / could learn to control their emotions? Its not about them. They are not the coach. They are not the 'program'. Could have waited until today to resolve everything. Too much ego involved, at all levels. Interesting to compare this to Desko's forced retirement as well.

Releasing a hastily edited presser 2 hours after JB turtled up was not smart.

Anyhow, on to Autry.
Boeheim clearly wanted to keep coaching. If they waited and he gave an interview on ESPN the next day and announced that he thought about it and he was going to keep coaching, what were they going to do then?

He made himself a total wild card and left them no choice. It's not like after that presser Boeheim was going to come back to Syracuse and go out gracefully. If he was going out gracefully it would have happened on the court in the last home game or in that ACCT presser, or he would have said, "Right now I'll talk about the game. Back in Syracuse in a couple days, I'll talk about the future."

Jim Boeheim closed the door on a graceful resolution when he gave that presser then walked down the hall and told the team. That was that.

At some point we have to accept that Jim Boeheim went out the way he wanted to. (Other than dying in the job eventually.)

Some of you are way too into the drama of things. You sound like some of my 7th grade students. We don't know what JB and Red have discussed privately. If they're fine with each other, which we don't know one way or the other, I don't see why it should matter to the rest of us. If JAB isn't at the presser and doesn't say anything today congratulating Red, I'll be mildly disappointed, but forget about it soon after. Today starts a new era in Syracuse basketball. I thank Boeheim for his decades of service to the University, but I've moved
1678461120961.gif

Agree totally with this and what hoopsupstate and Cusefan69 and tptcuse have said in this thread. It doesn't matter who JB thinks should have gotten the job. We're not talking about an outsider getting the job. It's someone JB has known for more than 30 years and it's a pretty disgraceful way for JB to treat him to not publicly show some sign of support to this point. JB has been very loyal to SU over the years, but I think it's fair to say he's also very loyal to JB. And it's ok to say that. Every single person on this Earth has their good and bad qualities. We don't have to be a JB apologist for everything he does.
All is forgiven. That was a home run from JB today.

This is kind of crazy to me about what the university could have done in the moment.

This was a press conference where everyone and their mother knew this was going to be the first, second, third, etc question.

JB went off the rails.
Because of that, SU had to adjust accordingly.

This wasn't a presser that SU set up and JB went off the rails, it was the post game presser.

Was SU supposed to not allow JB to be available? That would have made things worse.

Time is off the essence with recruiting, JB made his choice, SU responded the only way they could.

JB has been paid millions of dollars.
SU stuck by him through two probations.
SU stuck by him through the first Hop Coach in Waiting, the second Coach in Waiting which he blew up.
The ironclad plan ridiculousness.
The years of downturn including allow him to have daddy ball and have JGIII be a four year starter.
Him trying to install GMac as Coach in waiting.
And this latest attempt to blow up another coach in waiting.

What did you want SU to do once he went rogue AGAIN?

Hopefully time heals all wounds and JB comes around. But it's go time for Red. JB is a legend, but he has to figure out how he wants his remaining years to be viewed and what he wants to do. Hopefully that can include coming around and being on board with this.
This is my thinking. What could SU possibly have done? JAB was completely off the rails refusing to follow any sort of plan (again). It had to end. It had to stop. There was no reasoning with Jim. That train was long gone.

JB has always been an odd duck. He's often off the cuff w/ his comments & for whatever reason, tends to miscalculate how his words will be interpreted.
The media asks for his opinion because they know there's a chance he'll say something that'll get a rise outta somebody.
The funny thing is, if you look back at that last presser, he was almost enjoying the back and forth w/ the media, like a cat toying with a mouse. It seems like it's always afterward that he realizes he could've handled it better, & is sometimes forced to awkwardly walk it back. It's been his history, and should be a surprise to
no one.

Things I’m hearing……Joe to la portal
This is interesting to me - where would JG3 end up? Half the board thinks he couldn't play in the Patriot League and most of the members here think he should play 20 minutes a night. What level/successful program would bring him on and in what role?

This is interesting to me - where would JG3 end up? Half the board thinks he couldn't play in the Patriot League and most of the members here think he should play 20 minutes a night. What level/successful program would bring him on and in what role?
I don't blame him for leaving. He was 6th in scoring in the ACC and fans thought he was the worst player in the league, zero support. Probably lands in the Big East, close to home, makes a run in the tournament while Syracuse is fighting to get to Wednesday of the ACC tournament next year

I don't blame him for leaving. He was 6th in scoring in the ACC and fans thought he was the worst player in the league, zero support. Probably lands in the Big East, close to home, makes a run in the tournament while Syracuse is fighting to get to Wednesday of the ACC tournament next year
Jeez…

Eh - look at UNC, if Hubert stinks it up next year they'll just hire another guy and move on.
Agree. Selecting a coach is no different than selecting in the draft. You could do everything right and the guy could still be a bust. You just try to make as reasonably informed decision as possible. If it happens 2 or 3 times then people start worrying about the decision process you go through but until that time JW is fine.

Eh - look at UNC, if Hubert stinks it up next year they'll just hire another guy and move on.
Yes if Autry doesn't succeed we get to watch UNC and Louisville hire the elite guys who would kill it here.
Perhaps I'm being too cynical right now, but I feel like no matter what happens over the next couple years, Wildhack won't look good.

If Autry struggles, everyone will wonder why we didn't conduct a legitimate national search.
If Autry succeeds, everyone will wonder why he couldn't be tougher and make this move 2-3 years ago.
I think we'll know by Turkey day if we got the hire right. Not sure that is fair. JB couldn't even coach what he knew was his last game without trying to cling to the job after there is no way you are getting him out after the 2016/18/21 runs amicably. They might have tried to nudge him to go with his boys last year but that is the only realistic time the AD could have stepped in.

I'd love to have moved on after 2021 run and told Joe to beat it or accept coming off the bench and kept Kadary but realistically there is no way that plays out.

I also really don't know how good this team is next year even if we keep Jesse and Judah JB might have had us overachieving the first 3/4 of the ACC schedule. Who could transfer to a good SEC or Big Ten team and start apart from them? Joe could probably go somewhere like Minnesota and be a starter but Iowa or Illinois? Does Taylor see the court if he stayed home at UVA whats his role if he went to VT?

Autry has the keys to a top 10 program he needs to bring in 1 or 2 new players that reflect that. Since its too late in the game really to get any of the high schoolers we need at least 1 high end transfer. If the only players locked in to play 35+ per night are the PG and C that should make us an extremely appealing place to transfer to. If we don't add a wing that is clearly going to be better than Benny Williams and take some pressure off everyone else... well I'm not going to go there.

Yes if Autry doesn't succeed we get to watch UNC and Louisville hire the elite guys who would kill it here.

I think we'll know by Turkey day if we got the hire right. Not sure that is fair. JB couldn't even coach what he knew was his last game without trying to cling to the job after there is no way you are getting him out after the 2016/18/21 runs amicably. They might have tried to nudge him to go with his boys last year but that is the only realistic time the AD could have stepped in.

I'd love to have moved on after 2021 run and told Joe to beat it or accept coming off the bench and kept Kadary but realistically there is no way that plays out.

I also really don't know how good this team is next year even if we keep Jesse and Judah JB might have had us overachieving the first 3/4 of the ACC schedule. Who could transfer to a good SEC or Big Ten team and start apart from them? Joe could probably go somewhere like Minnesota and be a starter but Iowa or Illinois? Does Taylor see the court if he stayed home at UVA whats his role if he went to VT?

Autry has the keys to a top 10 program he needs to bring in 1 or 2 new players that reflect that. Since its too late in the game really to get any of the high schoolers we need at least 1 high end transfer. If the only players locked in to play 35+ per night are the PG and C that should make us an extremely appealing place to transfer to. If we don't add a wing that is clearly going to be better than Benny Williams and take some pressure off everyone else... well I'm not going to go there.
Top 10? I don’t think we know what we are in the NIL era just yet. Part of the problem with JBs decline is that it coincided with major on the court and off the court changes to CBB.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical right now, but I feel like no matter what happens over the next couple years, Wildhack won't look good.

If Autry struggles, everyone will wonder why we didn't conduct a legitimate national search.
If Autry succeeds, everyone will wonder why he couldn't be tougher and make this move 2-3 years ago.

One thing is for certain, he's clearly placing his reputation & credibility (at least relative to his hiring prowess) on the line. After that reporter ask the question relative to a national search, etc. , his response was, this simply just didn't come together and that he has spent an immense amount of time, effort, considerations, etc. in regards to this huge hire...or along those lines. Closing with, Autry didn't get this job because he's an alum, or an assistant, but that he was the best candidate for the job...period.

I guess with anything, time will tell.

Hope it works out well.

If Autry get this thing humming in 2-3 years and people’s reaction is to be mad at Wildhack for not doing it earlier, those people will never be happy.

Last edited:
Judging Autry 4-5 games into the season next year (especially against an insanely hard Maui field) is probably a bit aggressive.
I want a wing better than Williams or anyone we had this year. And to not go 0-3 in Maui.

This is Syracuse we are one of the giants of the sport. I regretted my post because it wasn’t positive enough and I don’t mean to be critical.

Nonsense. This post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors