Things i'm hearing... | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
This is from a few "friends of the program" and a couple of people in the AD's office (who might be susceptible to spin, so I take what they say with a bit of cynicism).

The retirement plan had been locked in for a few weeks. Not many knew much about it, just that it would happen after the season's end.

The plan included the coach essentially confirming his retirement in whatever post-game presser was the last of the season. Boeheim had gone along with this. There was a press release ready to go last week with quotes from Boeheim and the word "retirement" all over it.

The presser comes, and according to some folks in the AD's office, Boeheim decided to softshoe it. Now I've heard conflicting stories on why that was. One person told me coach was concerned he wouldn't be able to handle his emotions if he announced in that way, that quickly after his last game. Whether he told people of these misgivings or not is up for debate.

The AD's office was furious at the way it went down and had to change the press release completely. It was supposed to come out right after the presser, but instead, they had to re-edit it and release it a few hours late.

A friend of the program says it wasn't intentional to make the university look bad, but who knows for sure.

Go ahead and kill the messenger, but this is what I've heard from a handful of people who should know.

I believe this to be 100% true or true-ish. You can't promote somebody to be head coach unless they have agreed to it and all the contractual terms are worked out. Like I said in another thread 2 minutes ago, Autry didn't work this out in the Greensboro locker room.

Can you imagine after the press release if Autry is like, "woah wait a minute, this is news to me, I'm not sure I want to be the head coach, and what exactly does it pay ?"

It was supposed to come out right after the presser, but instead, they had to re-edit it and release it a few hours late.
Any idea if the original presser had comments from JB?

To me it was clear Jim was hoping or maybe even contractually entitled to a "post coaching" position that wasn't conveyed to him. So perhaps he was waiting for that offer before he announced he's stepping away?

I believe this to be 100% true or true-ish. You can't promote somebody to be head coach unless they have agreed to it and all the contractual terms are worked out. Like I said in another thread 2 minutes ago, Autry didn't work this out in the Greensboro locker room.

Can you imagine after the press release if Autry is like, "woah wait a minute, this is news to me, I'm not sure I want to be the head coach, and what exactly does it pay ?"
Yes. Can you imagine if Autry pulled a belicheck and said nah I’m good I’m going somewhere else after the press release

This is from a few "friends of the program" and a couple of people in the AD's office (who might be susceptible to spin, so I take what they say with a bit of cynicism).

The retirement plan had been locked in for a few weeks. Not many knew much about it, just that it would happen after the season's end.

The plan included the coach essentially confirming his retirement in whatever post-game presser was the last of the season. Boeheim had gone along with this. There was a press release ready to go last week with quotes from Boeheim and the word "retirement" all over it.

The presser comes, and according to some folks in the AD's office, Boeheim decided to softshoe it. Now I've heard conflicting stories on why that was. One person told me coach was concerned he wouldn't be able to handle his emotions if he announced in that way, that quickly after his last game. Whether he told people of these misgivings or not is up for debate.

The AD's office was furious at the way it went down and had to change the press release completely. It was supposed to come out right after the presser, but instead, they had to re-edit it and release it a few hours late.

A friend of the program says it wasn't intentional to make the university look bad, but who knows for sure.

Go ahead and kill the messenger, but this is what I've heard from a handful of people who should know.
Tracks with how things played out.

Yes. Can you imagine if Autry pulled a belicheck and said nah I’m good I’m going somewhere else after the press release
"I resign as HC of SUMBB".

0ea6530cfb990b910d615c200c8d67f6_crop_north.jpg

It's all just so weird. But I guess that's par for the course when it comes to JB. He can never make things easy, for better and worse.

Still better than Coach K's obnoxious farewell tour. That was the absolute worst.

Didn't sound like the retirement plan that had been locked in for weeks was really agreed upon. Weird
I think it was. JB just couldn't bring himself to say that he was retiring. I mean he spent a lot of time yesterday talking about how lucky he was, etc. He even said he gave his retirement speech last weekend (but of course you rubes were too dumb to notice). In typical JB style he had to get passive aggressive and contentious for no apparent reason, because he can't help himself.

Seems plausible, but some of Boeheim's answers in the press conference were just too weird. But, given the nature of the loss and the circumstances, it's not surprising things came off the rails. It really was a little too much to expect him to gracefully bow out at the press conference immediately following a bitter loss in a game I think he expected to win (and we should have won). If this is all true, SU screwed up by not setting it up as a stand-alone press conference a day or two later allowing coach to get his emotions in check.

Any idea if the original presser had comments from JB?
I believe the agreement was he would announce it at the last presser of the season (whenever they lost in the ACC's). Something was mismanaged somewhere along the line, but it may just be JB going rogue as he's known to do.

I also know the SU Comms people and Advancement are L-I-V-I-D with the athletic department. They're concerned about how this may affect donors and, obviously, media perception of the university.

Seems plausible, but some of Boeheim's answers in the press conference were just too weird. But, given the nature of the loss and the circumstances, it's not surprising things came off the rails. It really was a little too much to expect him to gracefully bow out at the press conference immediately following a bitter loss in a game I think he expected to win (and we should have won). If this is all true, SU screwed up by not setting it up as a stand-alone press conference a day or two later allowing coach to get his emotions in check.
Agreed. I also wonder if something was lost in translation along the way where JB believed he would have a presser later to announce it. I hope the university isn't that incompetent, but who knows? This is the place that did misspell Roosevelt Bouie's last name on his jersey during a jersey retirement ceremony.

I believe the agreement was he would announce it at the last presser of the season (whenever they lost in the ACC's). Something was mismanaged somewhere along the line, but it may just be JB going rogue as he's known to do.

I also know the SU Comms people and Advancement are L-I-V-I-D with the athletic department. They're concerned about how this may affect donors and, obviously, media perception of the university.
Eye roll at them, not you
What exactly should the AD have done

Maybe my SU friends are outliers, but I haven't seen a single one of them say they're upset with how this went down. Most of 'em are longtime JB fans, and basically all of them said "it's sad but it's time".

Would be surprised if there's any blowback on SU over this.

As a comms professional, I think the AD handled it properly if that was truly the original plan as stated above. This was never going to go down correctly unless JB did it himself. And he's just not capable of it.

The only thing I disagree with on the approach is having him announce it in the press conference. He can't do that -- we all know he'd struggle with that. He should have agreed to punt on the topic when it was over and said he needs some time, will reflect and come back. Then put out a controlled release.

But if SU Comms was aware of the approach, they share blame too. the AD course corrected best they could.

Why would SU require JB to announce his retirement in the presser following the last game of his career which would have to be a loss unless they won the Natty. That is asking a lot IMHO.

Why not have the plan in place, have JB say at the presser that we will talk about it and then have a presser today or Friday and announce it all so that AA is in place before the portal opens Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom