Things That Make You Go 'Hmmmmmm.' / Temple in the ACC..? | Syracusefan.com

Things That Make You Go 'Hmmmmmm.' / Temple in the ACC..?

Orange87

2nd String
After reading this in the ‘Tuesday Articles’ thread:

I started thinking (always dangerous...)

My initial reaction to Temple in the ACC is 'Really?' but when you think about it, it is interesting at least. The author makes some good points - Temple's hoops team can absolutely compete in the ACC and their football team is competitive (finally), FBS and plays in a big stadium. Most importantly - Philadelphia is a big market and does link the northeast more seamlessly. I think its a good idea and I like it even better than Rutgers.

Check this out though - if the ACC is still all wound up about making north/south divisions and the Carolina schools don't want to split up and the Virginia schools don't want to be in a 'northern division' then forget 16 teams, let's go all the way to 20! Two, ten team divisions with 'true’ north and south teams:

North
Boston College
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West Virginia

South
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Miami
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

You could have each school play every other school in its own division each year and three from the other division. Or however else you want to do it. And look at that northern division. It's basically the Big East all over again.

C'mon...you KNOW you like it.

ESPN is calling the shots here. The only expansion that will be done by anyone is for big TV markets. Temple will not bring in enough money that will now need to be split 15 ways and still benefit the other schools. They are #2 in bball and football in their own city. No way.

Why it is news that some Philly hack thinks Temple deserves to be in a better conference? They haven't even proved they belong in the BE, let alone the ACC. They lost last weekend to Bowling Green. Hate to keep repeating myself, but Temple has NEVER beaten a MAC team with a winning conference record. They're really good at beating up the bad teams. That's it.

The ACC is not going to expand again unless it can get a traditional football power.

ESPN is calling the shots here. The only expansion that will be done by anyone is for big TV markets. Temple will not bring in enough money that will now need to be split 15 ways and still benefit the other schools. They are #2 in bball and football in their own city. No way.

Temple's issue is academics. They would be #1 in Philly for BBall if they were in the ACC. Nova would fade away.

I can see it now. Who controls the Philadelphia DMA? Rutgers or Temple? And which school has more beds?

It's all conjecture of course and I don't think the ACC wants a conference that big but adding Temple really does lock up the east coast. Philly IS a big TV market and while the Owls may be no. 2 in in popularity in football behind Penn State, their hoops team is far more popular than State's and while 'Nova is the king of Philly in hoops, for all intents and purposes, they don't even play football. Temple is the key to ACC control of Philadelphia.

You heard it here first.

This is about as likely as finding an iceberg off the coast of Galveston.

The problem is ACC officials would take one visit to the Temple campus and run away and never come back. Place is literally located in the ghetto in Philly. It's like the Anti-ACC campus.

It's all conjecture of course and I don't think the ACC wants a conference that big but adding Temple really does lock up the east coast. Philly IS a big TV market and while the Owls may be no. 2 in in popularity in football behind Penn State, their hoops team is far more popular than State's and while 'Nova is the king of Philly in hoops, for all intents and purposes, they don't even play football. Temple is the key to ACC control of Philadelphia.

You heard it here first.
adding Temple doesn't lock up the east coast - good lord - it doesn't even lock up Philadelphia - too many other D1 hoops programs in the city with different allegiances already built in

they were the only D1 football team in a big conference in that city for years and nobody cared - going to the ACC isn't going to change that. if they were useful from a conference standpoint they wouldn't be in the MAC now

One other thing, the only way to "lock up" the Philly market for college football is to get Penn State. That pipe dream seems highly unlikely.

adding Temple doesn't lock up the east coast - good lord - it doesn't even lock up Philadelphia - too many other D1 hoops programs in the city with different allegiances already built in

they were the only D1 football team in a big conference in that city for years and nobody cared - going to the ACC isn't going to change that. if they were useful from a conference standpoint they wouldn't be in the MAC now

Temple locks up Philadelphia like SMU locks up Dallas.

One other thing, the only way to "lock up" the Philly market for college football is to get Penn State. That pipe dream seems highly unlikely.

But they can't get PSU, 'Nova doesn't play football, neither does LaSalle or St. Joe's as far as I know. Sure maybe the interest in Temple football isn't great but it could be. Like the author of the article says - start bringing in Miami, Florida State, Va. Tech, etc. and maybe people start wanting to see those programs come into Philly and play some big time football.

Again - I realize its not gonna happen, but I really don't think its a bad idea at all.

actually, that makes me go...

hmmm, guys at the phillydaily are smoking crack.

start bringing in Miami, Florida State, Va. Tech, etc. and maybe people start wanting to see those programs come into Philly and play some big time football.
They already did that for a number of years... nobody showed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom