Things to be encouraged by...and other things... | Syracusefan.com

Things to be encouraged by...and other things...

Jake

Mod
obviously we took a significant step forward yesterday despite the outcome. But specifically I was encouraged by a few things:

*I thought Joseph showed that once he gets better and more experience, he CAN play at this level. I had my doubts until yesterday. Really thought we should be looking for a PG for next year...but yesterday kind of put those fears at ease. He took 1-2 big shots...including that pull up 17 footer when we were only up 3 to get the lead back to five. The turnovers, sloppiness...etc...that stuff will diminish with experience. But you can't change a player's willingness to take big shots. If he's willing to take those shots as a frosh...its a really good sign for the future. He needs to take exceptional steps to find Trevor when he is open. He's still missing him 3-4 times per game. Which is a HUUUGE issue.

*Gbinje - every once in a while he surprises me with his athleticism. He's much more athletic that he's given credit for. I thought he'd be a real liability at the 3 against good teams. But his rebounding has been very good. I know that Nova plays small, but I still think he'll be able to help against good ACC teams. He actually took over the game early and was our best offensive weapon. Very encouraging if he can keep it going.

*Roberson - His rebounding too. He's very instinctive, probably the most natural rebounder we've had since Paul Harris. He gets his hands on balls that others don't. He "bats" a lot of balls backwards that other players just don't even try for. He is going to be an absolute stud at the "4" next year when he gets a chance to play his natural spot. He's kind of an awkward fit at the 3 and his shot is terrible...but he gets some kind roles and you can't blame him for taking 1-2 15footers each game.

Rakeem - I don't know if I'm happy to see how good he is this year, or pissed knowing that some of this skill had to have been ignored last year. Anyhow, love that he can face the basket and put the ball on the floor. That's a great skill to have against bigger teams. Without another post option, he should have lots of space to maneuver with the bounce. He even knocked down a 15 footer. But he has to realize that he's too valuable on the offensive end to take silly fouls. Its got to end.

*Ball movement - I thought the ball movement in the first half yesterday was excellent. We got tentative in the second half and that got us out of our rhythm. Youth at the point.

*Trevor becoming more than a standstill shooter - He almost looks like he's emerging as a leader too. He needs to be able to threaten the hoop when given the chance. It'll keep defenders honest...especially if he can be used on the high screen offense.

*Just have a feeling that McCullough is going to struggle from game to game. He needs to play inside more, but he's just not got the guns to do it. His perimeter game is okay, but he needs to be more patient there. If he can just get us 2-3 putbacks and 1-2 fast break baskets from filling the lane we'll be much better.

Patterson and Johnson need to be ready when called upon. Johnson will probably get more chances, but I think Patterson is more ready to contribute if only because he's more physical.

This team will get better, but the its still very young. I expect it'll be a two step forward, one step back kind of progression - which is why I think we're in for a tough year. But I like the foundation and certainly the reinforcements arrive next year for what should be a very good team.

Finally, lets give some credit to the staff. They got that team ready hoping JB would pull a rabbit out of his ass against Nova. He did. Its hard to win 900 games...

Last edited:
obviously we took a significant step forward yesterday despite the outcome. But specifically I was encouraged by a few things:

*I thought Joseph showed that once he gets better and more experience, he CAN play at this level. I had my doubts until yesterday. Really thought we should be looking for a PG for next year...but yesterday kind of put those fears at ease. He took 1-2 big shots...including that pull up 17 footer when we were only up 3 to get the lead back to five. The turnovers, sloppiness...etc...that stuff will diminish with experience. But you can't change a player's willingness to take big shots. If he's willing to take those shots as a frosh...its a really good sign for the future. He needs to take exceptional steps to find Trevor when he is open. He's still missing him 3-4 times per game. Which is a HUUUGE issue.

*Gbinje - every once in a while he surprises me with his athleticism. He's much more athletic that he's given credit for. I thought he'd be a real liability at the 3 against good teams. But his rebounding has been very good. I know that Nova plays small, but I still think he'll be able to help against good ACC teams. He actually took over the game early and was our best offensive weapon. Very encouraging if he can keep it going.

*Roberson - His rebounding too. He's very instinctive, probably the most natural rebounder we've had since Paul Harris. He gets his hands on balls that others don't. He "bats" a lot of balls backwards that other players just don't even try for. He is going to be an absolute stud at the "4" next year when he gets a chance to play his natural spot. He's kind of an awkward fit at the 3 and his shot is terrible...but he gets some kind roles and you can't blame him for taking 1-2 15footers each game.

Rakeem - I don't know if I'm happy to see how good he is this year, or pissed knowing that some of this skill had to have been ignored last year. Anyhow, love that he can face the basket and put the ball on the floor. That's a great skill to have against bigger teams. Without another post option, he should have lots of space to maneuver with the bounce. He even knocked down a 15 footer. But he has to realize that he's too valuable on the offensive end to take silly fouls. Its got to end.

*Ball movement - I thought the ball movement in the first half yesterday was excellent. We got tentative in the second half and that got us out of our rhythm. Youth at the point.

*Trevor becoming more than a standstill shooter - He almost looks like he's emerging as a leader too. He needs to be able to threaten the hoop when given the chance. It'll keep defenders honest...especially if he can be used on the high screen offense.

*Just have a feeling that McCullough is going to struggle from game to game. He needs to play inside more, but he's just not got the guns to do it. His perimeter game is okay, but he needs to be more patient there. If he can just get us 2-3 putbacks and 1-2 fast break baskets from filling the lane we'll be much better.

Patterson and Johnson need to be ready when called upon. Johnson will probably get more chances, but I think Patterson is more ready to contribute if only because he's more physical.

This team will get better, but the its still very young. I expect it'll be a two step forward, one step back kind of progression - which is why I think we're in for a tough year. But I like the foundation and certainly the reinforcements arrive next year for what should be a very good team.

Finally, lets give some credit to the staff. They got that team ready hoping JB would pull a rabbit out of his ass against Nova. He did. Its hard to win 900 games...

I think McCullough is less ready to leave for the NBA than both Grant and Ennis at this point in time. Does he have more potential? Yeah - if only because he's 6-11. But he struggles against anyone that outphysicals him, which is basically anyone at this point.

Jake, you and I have the exact same thoughts. It's like we're Siamese twins! Thank you for expressing them articulately, which is something I can never do.

I have hope now for the rest of the year that I didn't have until that game yesterday.

bballbeadle said:
Jake, you and I have the exact same thoughts. It's like we're Siamese twins! Thank you for expressing them articulately, which is something I can never do. I have hope now for the rest of the year that I didn't have until that game yesterday.

Never? You sell yourself short my friend.

Jake is this a step back from the ledge for you? You have predicted seriously low expectations all the way thus far, understandably so. I think you are underselling the guys and personally feel we are looking at a 12+ win ACC season after Saturday plus the ACC looking sketchy after Duke, VA & Lville.

I think McCullough is less ready to leave for the NBA than both Grant and Ennis at this point in time. Does he have more potential? Yeah - if only because he's 6-11. But he struggles against anyone that outphysicals him, which is basically anyone at this point.
He is 6'8.5" in sneakers!!! Measured exactly the same in two different summer camps this year.

It helped that Joseph was not the only one bringing the ball up court--less pressure on him over the course of the game.
KJ was the primary that usually took the ball after each Nova basket, but he was always shadowed by one or two Cuse players. We used the pass to the help man to shake off the Nova press and then take it to the lightly defended hoop. Wise move by JB. Wright called off the press for the second half, but he kept Ennis on KJ. Perhaps we should have made an adjustment to let KJ bring it up by himself for the second half so that we would have had 4 players ready in the half court. It would have been a gamble. If KJ could have handled Ennis one on one we would have won the game. For better or worse, he never got the chance.

Most big boy teams will play us like Nova did for the second half; no press but full-time pressure on KJ. For us to have a successful season he will have to handle it without being shadowed by Cooney and / or Silent G.

Last edited:
He is 6'8.5" in sneakers!!! Measured exactly the same in two different summer camps this year.

No, measured that twice in 2013. Latest being sept 4th, 2013. He is no doubt a legit 6'9" or bigger in person. Just sayn, ive seen you say this a couple times now but those are not really accurate up to date measurements.

No, measured that twice in 2013. Latest being sept 4th, 2013. He is no doubt a legit 6'9" or bigger in person. Just sayn, ive seen you say this a couple times now but those are not really accurate up to date measurements.
My point is that everyone keeps saying he is 6'10 or 11" without taking into acctg that these numbers are always fudged.

From nbadraft.net.... "... Measured 6'8.5 (with shoes) 198 lbs with a 7'2.5 wingspan at the 2013 LeBron James Skills Academy …"

He was measured 6'9" at USA basketball camp, also over a year ago. It's quite possible he grew an inch to 6'10" since then.

From nbadraft.net... "... Measured 6'8.5 (with shoes) 198 lbs with a 7'2.5 wingspan at the 2013 LeBron James Skills Academy …"[/QUOTE]

Again, not current measurements. He grew. ..not trying to cause arguments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom