This an elite offensive team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This an elite offensive team

The one play in the first half where Buddy started dribbling around a pic, then stepped back and buried the three is exactly what we should see more of from Buddy
I thought the same thing on that play

Syracuse never had much trouble scoring. But Elite? Cmon

We're a very good offensive team. What we lack is versatility. We have a higher number of shooters than, say, 2003 or 2010, but those teams could score anywhere in the halfcourt and get out on the break. They could play at any pace. As the color guy said today, we have difficulty creating easy shots. That wasn't the case today because they had nobody to match up with JE, but a team with a good big and good on the ball defender can give us trouble. It's about matchups for us.
Really good post sufandu

No they aren't. This offense is pretty one-dimensional.

When they're hot, that one dimension can certainly lead to elite offensive output.

But we're a couple pieces of the puzzle away from being truly elite offense.

A penetrating point guard, more ability to create off the bounce, less reliance on ISO ball with ill-suited personnel, etc would be required for this offense to truly be elite.

In a rare occurrence, RF, I disagree with you.

We are not one dimensional right now. Edwards has given us the one thing we've been lacking.

We now can reliably play the motion offense or the pick and roll. We can play motion or pick and roll really well, which is at least one more offense than most teams.

Count em... Two dimensions. :)

In a rare occurrence, RF, I disagree with you.

We are not one dimensional right now. Edwards has given us the one thing we've been lacking.

We now can reliably play the motion offense or the pick and roll. We can play motion or pick and roll really well, which is at least one more offense than most teams.

Count em... Two dimensions. :)
What about John Havlicek down low? AKA James Boeheim.

Sorry, this team has not proven it is an elite scoring team. What it has proven is that it has scoring skills against average opponents, but so far when we have faced the better teams with better athletes we have been slowed right down. Truth is an opponent with superior athletes can shut us down.

As good as their efficiency is it is still mind blowing to see some of the middle school level turnovers that occur due to lack of attention, lazy passes, dribbling off feet, etc.
I agree with this post. It is not as much the turnovers as it is how they occur. Like the lazy over his shoulder pass Buddy tried to make along the sideline that was picked off. The lazy bounce passes tend to get us at least a couple of times a game. Add that in with Buddy's unproductive backdown dribbles and Joe's dribbling into the middle of the pack near the basket without a plan and you just ask WHY? We are 23 games into the season and they are still making these mistakes. Not as many but we still see them every game. The largest reason for this still happening is the lack of a bench to pull starters when they continue to repeat these mistakes. I don't want to go negative on the progress and success we have seen over the past three games. I really think the team is feeling better about itself and we are seeing a tad more bench play. Let's keep the fire burning Orange.

Sorry, this team has not proven it is an elite scoring team. What it has proven is that it has scoring skills against average opponents, but so far when we have faced the better teams with better athletes we have been slowed right down. Truth is an opponent with superior athletes can shut us down.

All teams are going to struggle some games. The truth is this team has scored more points than any team since our 2010 season. The four games we really struggled were VCU, Nova, Duke and Pitt. Every other game we lost basically because of our defense.

We have lost 5 games where we’ve scored over 74 points. That’s never happened before.

We are also 2-5 in games decided by 5 points or less. There haven’t been many games that have been decided by offensive ineptitude. A mediocre defense would have this team at 19-4 or 18-5.

You will have to look at other teams resumes on the bubble, they aren't going to be all that strong either. Cuse just has to keep rolling and let the chips fall where they may and IMO they have a very realistic shot.
I like your thinking, or is it hoping! Before we go completely overboard, we realize the last 3 games were not as challenging opponents as some of the earlier games. Of course we will never explain the Colgate game nor the second Pitt game. While we are in the easier portion of our schedule, lets keep the ball rolling. If we can have a good finish to our season along with a decent ACCT run, maybe the committee will see our season turn around and consider us for the bubble. Many things said we needed earlier are starting to happen.....Jesse is not fouling out, bit more bench play, Cole is starting to hit and even Jimmy is hitting free throws. LGO!!

What about John Havlicek down low? AKA James Boeheim.
Pretty much everything he does comes out of the motion.

So on the note of offense. Our magic number this year is 80. We are 9-1 in the games we hit 80 and 3-11 in those we don't.

Given we are rebounding it pretty well this year, and our offensive efficiency is top 15, this is sort of the invisible barrier that allows us to outscore our opponents as we manage the number of possessions they get through good offense and solid rebounding.

Never a lack of hyperbole on this board.

Enjoy the solid play….it only feeds the boys confidence moving forward. I have a feeling we will work our way back into bubble discussions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom