This is a very good team | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This is a very good team

well yeah if you compare which problem is worse...yeah the defense is worse...and Joe is a huge part of that.

the biggest problem with the offense, though, is lack of a PG, imo...so Joe there too.

scoring in the 50s and 60s vs vcu and auburn shows the offense is indeed a problem, btw.

Fair enough.
Part of the reason I posted it though was I had just come over from the Raps board where some were completing their daily bashing of FVV's ability to run the offence as what was killing the team (when the offence has actually been decent offensively). Just seemed similar to here.

And don't mean to pick on you specifically. People sometimes (including me) focus too much on the offensive aspect in labelling / ranking issues.

well yeah if you compare which problem is worse...yeah the defense is worse...and Joe is a huge part of that.

the biggest problem with the offense, though, is lack of a PG, imo...so Joe there too.

scoring in the 50s and 60s vs vcu and auburn shows the offense is indeed a problem, btw.
I dont agree scoring and offense are not always related.. you can run a great offense and not score. you can run an awful offense and score.. but if you turn the ball over from the top of the key out and dont rebound you will have issues on D and scoring unrelated to how well your offense is running. we scored 70 vs Auburn with 15 TOs and 5 off rebounds.. We got to the line and made FTs. Auburn made 40% from 3 and they werent all better shots then what the normally shoot from 3 when they make 20% vs USF.. thats not all about D..

we need to shoot more 3s but only if they are set. But really we need to rebound and stop haveing dribble TOs. you cant lost 5-10 possessions a game just dribbling the ball. too many rebounds lost where we had the proper position hurt.

auburn scored 83 vs uconn and 89 vs us.. Hardly much difference. VCU scored 67 vs us 61 vs Baylor 70 vs UConn.. so the D was fine we just didnt shoot at all vs VCU and that was mainly Swider missing all his open shots.

lets the next wait until after the New Year to really see what is happening here.. it may get worse it may not

I still like this team but as pointed out before the season our weak link is our PG position. Joe and Symir both have elements that our good but neither is a true ACC level point. As in football if you dont have a good QB or point G you are going to be hard pressed to win games. Unless JB can figure out away around this weakness we will be hard pressed to beat the better teams on our schedule.
It is a shame that Kadary left as it looks like both him and JB would like a do over.
Depending on tonights game Jim might want to start giving Symir more run. You cant start your O with ten seconds left on the clock and expect to compete. Joes inability to beat his man off the dribble isnt going to change against better ACC players and i would rather role the dice with Symir as we dont need a point that can shoot we need one that can run the O.

Excellent post.

The thing I don't like about this post - not that you're wrong - but I think that Joe could be super effective as an off-guard.

GMac was always better, IMO, coming off a Craig Forth screen for the open 3 from the wing than he was in getting us into the offense. What do we most remember about Gerry's clutch moments? His threes, not his assists.

That's Joe.

The thing I don't like about this post - not that you're wrong - but I think that Joe could be super effective as an off-guard.

GMac was always better, IMO, coming off a Craig Forth screen for the open 3 from the wing than he was in getting us into the offense. What do we most remember about Gerry's clutch moments? His threes, not his assists.

That's Joe.
joe is a good player. he maximizes the talent he has and hes tough...hes a good competitor.

and i think theres a lot of "hes just like gerry" thinking going on by the staff and thats part of the reason hes in there so much and now for so many years. and there arent any replacemtns being brought in or if they are they are on the bench.

i mean he can score...hes just not a PG. I think hed actually be better in man defense...he just doesnt play the top of the zone well imo...not like a mcw or battle etc...not even close to that. and thats what the system requires.

joe is a good player. he maximizes the talent he has and hes tough...hes a good competitor.

and i think theres a lot of "hes just like gerry" thinking going on by the staff and thats part of the reason hes in there so much and now for so many years. and there arent any replacemtns being brought in or if they are they are on the bench.

i mean he can score...hes just not a PG. I think hed actually be better in man defense...he just doesnt play the top of the zone well imo...not like a mcw or battle etc...not even close to that. and thats what the system requires.
Legit thought he was much better in the 1-3-1 when he didn’t actually have to guard anyone or worry about anyone shooting over him.

well he wasnt better, necessarily, but it hid him well.

To quibble with one point, I wouldn't say people think he is "just like" Gerry, so much as he COULD BE like Gerry. I don't think anybody gives him the kind of green light Gerry had. After all, how many guys hit 6 or 7 threes for you in the 1st half of the Natty? That buys you "Green Light For Life". I get it. Joe hasn't earned that yet.

Joe would probably be my favorite….if he was the 3rd guard.

I love his moxie and potential to get hot and make stupid shots….as a 3rd guard that stuff is awesome. It’s fun. I freakin loved Eddie House. Come in and spark us and fill it up and talk your crap and set the Dome on fire. That’s what his role would be if he was here pre-2015.

He’s a decent ball handler and passer too, and can even anticipate and get some steals - a skill that is amplified when your minutes are capped and you can just come in and empty the tank.

But full time 30+mpg PG in the ACC?? For 4 years???!!! Cmon. And this is not his fault at all. Kid is giving it his all and he’s a good player. We need to get some studs in here.
Joe was good tonight. He is such a weapon when he is on. Kids a warrior.

That's Joe.
Thats the point. Joe is a natural 2

To quibble with one point, I wouldn't say people think he is "just like" Gerry, so much as he COULD BE like Gerry. I don't think anybody gives him the kind of green light Gerry had. After all, how many guys hit 6 or 7 threes for you in the 1st half of the Natty? That buys you "Green Light For Life". I get it. Joe hasn't earned that yet.
Yeah, Joe gives Joe the green light. It’s all the kid has ever known, so of course he’ll play that way.

Having watched the exhibition games and the opener 3 times im really encouraged. We have a complete team this year. I dont see any glaring weaknesses. In fact with the exception of point guard which is actually pretty solid we are loaded.
Benny Cole and Jimmy are all excellent. I have liked Jimmy for a long time but had no idea what a balanced mature and skilled player he has become. Hes really good. Benny oozes potential and as his shot improves he is going to become a star. As to Cole hes smooth. Extremely talented in all phases. Great shooter, strong and a much better handle than thought. Jimmys really good but Cole is special.
Buddy looks improved. Hes more fluid and his foot speed has improved. Last year he looked heavy footed. This year he looks much lighter on his feet,more agile. Hes such a pleasure to watch.
Joe played well. Shot it like he was back in GF and managed the game. He needs to cut out his adventures into the lane/baseline as it wont fly against better talent but he looked to be in shape and i think he will hold his own.
Symir is also much better than i expected. Quick, strong, great handle. He cant be pressed. If he can finish in the lane he becomes very valuable and his D is stellar. Guys good and going to get better.
Edward's is so close. His hands have improved considerably. He moves much better than last year and just seems comfortable on the court.
Frank also played well and showed his athleticism when he did the back dunk effortlessly. Hes Extremely coordinated and covers a lot of ground.
Finally the chemistry and overall bball IQ of this team is as good as any i have seen on the hill in a long time.
These guys aren't super athletic but they arnt stiffs.
This is a team of very smart players who all work and all have very good skills. Its a great shooting team and one that isnt going to fold.
Im really excited as this is a much different team than JB has ever had and win or lose is going to fun to watch.
I really liked this team. If Jesse hadn't been injured, and if Sy had played more i believe we would be dancing.
Hats off to JB for coaching his best when we were at our lowest.
I hope that Cole decides to come back and that Jesse Frank Sy and Benny return.
As to the B boys wow. Two amazing warriors.
My blood is Orange and i like many wear my heart on my sleeve. This year was tough. I dont agree with Jims roster management and hate how he publicly demeans his players.
Still hes a brilliant coach and he is SU basketball.
I personally believe hes going to open some eyes next year.
I like this team

I really liked this team. If Jesse hadn't been injured, and if Sy had played more i believe we would be dancing.
Hats off to JB for coaching his best when we were at our lowest.
I hope that Cole decides to come back and that Jesse Frank Sy and Benny return.
As to the B boys wow. Two amazing warriors.
My blood is Orange and i like many wear my heart on my sleeve. This year was tough. I dont agree with Jims roster management and hate how he publicly demeans his players.
Still hes a brilliant coach and he is SU basketball.
I personally believe hes going to open some eyes next year.
I like this team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom