DL: Lockett, Linton, Geer
LB: Wax, Thompson, Sparrow/McDonald
DB: Wilson, Chestnut, Barron, Carter, Clark

QB: Shrader
RB: Tucker/Allen
TE: Gadsden/Mang
WR: I Jones, Pena, Alford
OL: J Cruz, Ellis, Iloa, ??, ??

Everything except Oline looks pretty good. Ellis is the only proven commodity, and Iloa is somewhat of an experienced commodity. But there needs to be more answers there
Don’t forget our $1M 5-Star :)

Last night clearly not.

I'm rarely at the Dome, so maybe it's commonplace to have a bunch of NFL guys in the building.

Hopefully he gets some wind at his back second half of the season.

I want nothing for the best for him, so wasn’t meaning anything to sound like a jerk. I just think it would be a bad move to leave this year. There are always so many solid RB’s in the draft, I think he needs a full season of dominating, like last year, to get drafted high enough to be worth leaving early.

He
I wonder where Tucker will go if his numbers don't pick up. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid but if you didn't see him last year, would you say, that kid is leaving for the NFL next year?
He is injured. Id say hes 80%. Lost lateral movement, burst, top end speed. Hopefully hes back 100% after the break

Just because there were 15 scouts doesn’t mean they came away impressed with Tucker. RB’s need to strike while the iron is hot, unfortunately Tucker isn’t hot. RB’s are a dime a dozen, one of the easiest positions to draft for. Tucker would be crazy to leave early this year.
Gotta think Williams made a big impression on them last night.

Would think Jones and Wax are at least on the radar.

It’s not an exciting position to talk about but gotta think Smzy…..SMITTYYYY will get a look.

Also, if he wasn’t already on their radar I would think Gadsden would be now? Kid is big, seems to have great hands so far, and while he doesn’t seem to be a burner - he seems to be fast enough to get open and make big plays and has that smooth athleticism and coordination. He’s made some tough plays look awfully easy.

He’s going down as one of our best ever IMO if he’s here two more years. I haven’t liked an SU WR this much since Mike Williams.

My calculator:

images
Funny story. Years ago I was a young auditor working on an audit of a Japanese Bank in New York City. I went up to one of the executives and asked him how he came up a number on the balance sheet. He whips out his abacus, does a little hocus pocus and shows it to me. Like I’m supposed to understand what he is showing me.

Young in football years in college *is* eligibility remaining. Age is meaningless apart from eligibility.

Yes. Youth is measured in eligibility remaining. We are young.

Experience is measured in games started it snaps played.

Mikel Jones is a junior in eligibility and could return for another year. But he has also played in 35 games (27 starts) before this season. He is young (a junior) and experienced (35 games).

A player like Leon Lowery is redshirt-freshman (young) who has been in the program for his third year (appeared in 5 games; marginal experience).

Young and experienced are not mutually exclusive.

More important than youth or experience is talent. You could be in your eight year, but all of that experience is worthless if the talent isn’t there.

We only have a few players who will exhaust their eligibility this season;

Coley
Cooper
CJ Hayes
Elmore (unless he is granted another year)
Tisdale (did he already leave the program?)
Davis
Szmyt
Bolinsky

The following will very likely be getting an evaluation form the NFL before deciding to enter the draft or not.

G Williams (the most NFL ready IMO).
Bergeron
Jones
Tucker

What is that, 12 players who will run out of eligibility or possibly leave for the draft?

We are young.

We are experienced.

And we need to work the portal to improved the talent level. Focus on players who could potentially start for us in 2023, not just roster fillers who would be taking developmental reps from younger players.

Just my opinion. GO ORANGE!

Yes. Youth is measured in eligibility remaining. We are young.

Experience is measured in games started it snaps played.

Mikel Jones is a junior in eligibility and could return for another year. But he has also played in 35 games (27 starts) before this season. He is young (a junior) and experienced (35 games).

A player like Leon Lowery is redshirt-freshman (young) who has been in the program for his third year (appeared in 5 games; marginal experience).

Young and experienced are not mutually exclusive.

More important than youth or experience is talent. You could be in your eight year, but all of that experience is worthless if the talent isn’t there.

We only have a few players who will exhaust their eligibility this season;

Coley
Cooper
CJ Hayes
Elmore (unless he is granted another year)
Tisdale (did he already leave the program?)
Davis
Szmyt
Bolinsky

The following will very likely be getting an evaluation form the NFL before deciding to enter the draft or not.

G Williams (the most NFL ready IMO).
Bergeron
Jones
Tucker

What is that, 12 players who will run out of eligibility or possibly leave for the draft?

We are young.

We are experienced.

And we need to work the portal to improved the talent level. Focus on players who could potentially start for us in 2023, not just roster fillers who would be taking developmental reps from younger players.

Just my opinion. GO ORANGE!
This seems like riding both sides of the fence. Practically, this team feels like it's a cresting wave. If you weight the years, experience and opportunities, our most critical players seem on the way out, not fundamental and reliable building blocks for future success.

We have some potentially strong pieces, our coaches are better than they've been in decades and while those qualities are encouraging, this year strikes a need to be a peak.

Young in football years in college *is* eligibility remaining. Age is meaningless apart from eligibility.
Usually, sure. But the COVID year has thrown a wrench into that, so a slew of guys have an extra year of experience. So the term doesn’t work.

I didn't expect much from this year's team beyond a bowl (6-6 or 7-5) but I have been psyched for the next few years. Now more than ever.

Everyone understands that the defense is very young and many players have game experience but that is going also be the case with the offense by the end of the season. We have a real chance to build the kind of quality depth that is required to compete for ACC championships.

Here is the 2-deep UVA pregame. Notwithstanding players entering the draft (certainly 2 and maybe as many as 5), we will have a roster fuill of talent on both sides of the ball. We may also have an incoming freshman or two worthy of game time and I think we will also be scouring the portal for OLinemen and Receivers.

So long as Shrader and Gadsden and the young DLine keeps improving, I think we have a great bunch of building blocks and, beacuse of the way White rotates players, another good defense.

Offense Starters/Backups
FR/RFR 0/5
SO/RSO 5/5
JR/RJR 4/4
SR/RSR 2/0

Defense Starters/Backups
FR/RFR 1/7
SO/RSO 8/2
JR/RJR 2/0
SR/RSR 0/2

We are realy poised for sustained success. How mucn? Stay tuned.
I was actually expecting a lot from this team. Again, going back to the way we lost 4 games by 17 points last year gave me hope that this team was close and was almost all back for the most part.

We knew our defense was going to be top 3-4 in the ACC with NFL and all-league talent at multiple positions. We also knew we had an all-american RB with one of the most experinced OL's in the country returning. The biggest thing was we got rid of Gilbert and signifactly upgraded with Anae/Beck, and year 2 of White. These are the 2 best coordinators we have had in a long time. Plus the hire of a full time ST coach who has a super bowl ring to show for his career. I love seeing our starters on ST's going full Bud Foster mode. I was worried about the schedule, but a lot changes throughout the season. This is a well balanced team who can put up points when it needs to, but is going to win with it's defense at ST's. We were also due for the turnovers +/- to swing our way this season. I think our biggest concerns coming into the season (DL/WR) have been surprisingly good. Geer, Caleb, Lockett, Linton are players. Gadsen is a star in the making. Losing Jones will hurt, and some of the injuries stacking up, especially on defense are worrying, but we've had veterans step up.

I think the future is bright. I think the schedule won't be as tough next year, and we have Shrader coming back with another year of Anae's offense. We'll lose Tucker, Bergeron, Jones, and Williams as Jr's to the draft, but it is what it is. We'll get Thompson back, with Wax, and McDonald. Wells, Duce, Clark, and Carter are as good as you get at DB, and the young DL will just get better. I am horrified what will happen with the OL, but the portal is your friend. Tucker will be tough to replace, but Allen is promising and Price was a 4star transfer who doesn't even see the field. I believe the whole WR core is back minus Jackson, and Szymt will be tough to replace as he tries to backend Groza award seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom