This is as good a place as any | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is as good a place as any

Lax is also suffering from easier admissions standards at certain schools.

And lower tuition at state schools. I'm surprised a state school didn't become a national power sooner than this!

Agree, having a significant Lax program is nothing but a bonus. It is cult sport, niche sport, similar to some of these whacky "sports" we see every 4 years at the Olympics . If Lax went away i wouldnt blink an eye. Its a pompous clicky suburbia sport that steals athletes from baseball and/or football.

Stealing baseball athletes lol

People are tired of being bored watching paint dry sports. Thing is what you described is likely coming from a person who probably didn’t grow up in a place where lacrosse was being played forever.

And Football is a fall sport

Howard? Where exactly is he going? Think about the past Syracuse players that couldn't make the NBA. Now think about Howard. He is greatly improved. But he doesn't have the game for the NBA.
Projected 2nd round next year, in a mock drafted someone previously posted.

People are tired of being bored watching paint dry sports. Thing is what you described is likely coming from a person who probably didn’t grow up in a place where lacrosse was being played forever.

Football will be over in 2 generations. Soccer and lacrosse will continue to grow exponentially.

You do realize that Albany is ranked #4 and ahead of Cuse, right? They’re playing big boy lacrosse these days.
Exactly the point. The trend is not positive.

Last edited:

Watching paint dry sports? Sure, baseball is slow at times, but its the greatest game ever created and the toughest to play. Lacrosse is another weak attempt at an end to end goal game like hoops , hockey , FB , soccer, and on and on ...there are no special skills required for lacrosse as there are for those other classic sports. Its culty and pompous suburbia. I love Cuse but Lax success has been supplemental in terms of school notoriety and not even a pimple on JWs butt in terms of revenue.

I'm sure Bryce Harper really wishes he had played lacrosse.

Exactly the point. That's how bad it's gotten ... we're getting spanked by SUNY schools now.

So because Albany is a state school they aren’t allowed to get better? With that premise, I’m sure the Yankees fan base will throw in the towel now that a team that didn’t come along until the Mantle era just won the World Series.

Exactly the point. That's how bad it's gotten ... we're getting spanked by SUNY schools now.

Lol what a stupid comment.

Loyola and Denver have won titles, Cornell and UMass have made the title game. Lacrosse is growing. So the handful of teams that used to dominate the sport are now seeing kids go to other programs and get those built up.

albany has beaten us twice in the last 16 attempts. We beat them last year. Yeah, they've passed us. :confused:

Lol what a stupid comment.

Loyola and Denver have won titles, Cornell and UMass have made the title game. Lacrosse is growing. So the handful of teams that used to dominate the sport are now seeing kids go to other programs and get those built up.
I don't appreciate that. If you disagree, fine, but it's not like Albany is at Cornell's or Denver's level. I don't think I'm the only one disturbed by the trend the last few years including Saturday's debacle -- many have called for Desko to be replaced. We've had a good record against Albany, and I respect SUNY schools. But Albany has 1/100th of the lax tradition that SU has, and the overall trend the last 7-8 years is disturbing.

Last edited:
Basketball: sanctions hurt us. Recovery begins next season in earnest.

Football: Insane to even put here. Our darkest days are behind us. MTSU was a weird one-time occurrence.

Lacrosse: I dunno. I’ll leave it to followers of the sport.

Other sports: ?

Watching paint dry sports? Sure, baseball is slow at times, but its the greatest game ever created and the toughest to play. Lacrosse is another weak attempt at an end to end goal game like hoops , hockey , FB , soccer, and on and on ...there are no special skills required for lacrosse as there are for those other classic sports. Its culty and pompous suburbia. I love Cuse but Lax success has been supplemental in terms of school notoriety and not even a pimple on JWs butt in terms of revenue.

Baseball is the toughest game to play? Oh lord...lol

and there are no special skills required for lacrosse? Rotflmao

I don't appreciate that. If you disagree, fine. But I don't think I'm the only one disturbed by the trend the last few years including Saturday's dismantling -- many have called for Desko to be replaced. We've had a good record against Albany, and I respect SUNY schools. But Albany has 1/100th of the lax tradition that SU has, and the overall trend in the last few years - not just Saturday's dismantling - is disturbing.

While I understand what you're trying to say I think you're not taking the expansion of lacrosse seriously enough. I am all for replacing Desko if need be (and I feel as though need be was after last year) but we as fans can't expect the same old dominance because the game is changed for everyone now.

A Syracuse degree/education/experience isn't worth considerably more than most of these other schools mentioned? Come on now that's just dumb. If Syracuse offered their tuition for half the regular price, they wouldn't be able to process the amount of applications so, I'm going to call B.S. on that poorly thought out exCUSE. Another cop out from the current coaching staff. I would look at it like, "I get to go to Syracuse for half price tuition and I get to play lacrosse at the mecca of lacrosse, I'm in".

While I understand what you're trying to say I think you're not taking the expansion of lacrosse seriously enough. I am all for replacing Desko if need be (and I feel as though need be was after last year) but we as fans can't expect the same old dominance because the game is changed for everyone now.
And that's all fine. Mine was a hot take. I get that the sport is growing, that there's increasing parity, that Albany's popular with some native american recruits b/c of the Thompsons. All valid points. But, I don't think it's stupid to point out that we've declined as a program or that we got big-boy'd and/or out-recruited by Albany. Meanwhile, I'll just have to take Jeremy's advice and wait until our rotations are solidified and our young players get some experience before I join the 'sack-Desko' chorus.

And that's all fine. Mine was a hot take. I get that the sport is growing, that there's increasing parity, that Albany's popular with some native american recruits b/c of the Thompsons. All valid points. But, I don't think it's stupid to point out that we've declined as a program or that we got big-boy'd and/or out-recruited by Albany. Meanwhile, I'll just have to take Jeremy's advice and wait until our rotations are solidified and our young players get some experience before I join the 'sack-Desko' chorus.

I just think it's very tough for us to stay as dominant as we once were. More and more schools picked up lacrosse or put more of a focus into it. You certainly have to be more creative when you only have 12.6 scholarships and as others have pointed out it's tough for some families to pay to go to Syracuse compared to Albany or other State universities. Don't get me wrong... Syracuse > Albany as far as your degree goes but financially it can be a burden if you don't get any help.

Saturday sucked but I hope it's more of a wake up call and anomaly then where the seasons going

Syracuse Lacrosse has lost its cache and that is the fault of the coaching staff. People want to say Boeheim has stayed too long and doesn't have the chops anymore while he is coaching as hard as I have ever seen him while the lacrosse coach spouts lots of excuses and gets a pass .

Agree, having a significant Lax program is nothing but a bonus. It is cult sport, niche sport, similar to some of these whacky "sports" we see every 4 years at the Olympics . If Lax went away i wouldnt blink an eye. Its a pompous clicky suburbia sport that steals athletes from baseball and/or football.

Where do you think our students come from.

Baseball is the toughest game to play? Oh lord...lol

and there are no special skills required for lacrosse? Rotflmao

Lol, are we seriously gonna question whether baseball is tougher to play than lacrosse? It really isnt even close. The world's best athletes have tried, including MJ. Hitting and fielding a baseball is tougher than any skill involved in Lax. Its a niche sport like curling . I guess catching ans releasing the ball in and out of the net requires specific skill. I am not a soccer fan , but soccer requires more athleticism and skill.

Lol, are we seriously gonna question whether baseball is tougher to play than lacrosse? It really isnt even close. The world's best athletes have tried, including MJ. Hitting and fielding a baseball is tougher than any skill involved in Lax. Its a niche sport like curling . I guess catching ans releasing the ball in and out of the net requires specific skill. I am not a soccer fan , but soccer requires more athleticism and skill.
"Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk

You are vastly underestimating the skill and athleticism it takes to play lacrosse. I'm not sure what you have against lacrosse (see some of your snarky comments in this thread - cult, niche, "whacky", pompous suburbia, etc.), but you obviously have some personal problem with the sport and are not looking at it objectively. Because if you think "there are no special skills required for lacrosse", that tells me you are not able to be objective about it. That's just silly.

"Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk

You are vastly underestimating the skill and athleticism it takes to play lacrosse. I'm not sure what you have against lacrosse (see some of your snarky comments in this thread - cult, niche, "whacky", pompous suburbia, etc.), but you obviously have some personal problem with the sport and are not looking at it objectively. Because if you think "there are no special skills required for lacrosse", that tells me you are not able to be objective about it. That's just silly.

If the average person can't go out there and look somewhat competent trying a sport and not like an absolute fool, I'd say there is special skill required and I think that applies to lacrosse.