This is as good a place as any | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is as good a place as any

"Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk

You are vastly underestimating the skill and athleticism it takes to play lacrosse. I'm not sure what you have against lacrosse (see some of your snarky comments in this thread - cult, niche, "whacky", pompous suburbia, etc.), but you obviously have some personal problem with the sport and are not looking at it objectively. Because if you think "there are no special skills required for lacrosse", that tells me you are not able to be objective about it. That's just silly.

I get it the stamina, running, and endurance as required with all the end to end goal games (FB, hockey , soccer , hoops, and Lax) of all of those, Lax requires the least amount of skill and athleticism. Stick skills are ultra specific. Alot of twirling and when it comes to playing goalie, well if the ball finds the goalie, saves are "made" . Rarely do you see reactive, diving saves made. The there shots are taken close and if from a distance plenty of traffic and screens . The game is bizarre and an attempt at another end to end, defend your goal game.

I get it the stamina, running, and endurance as required with all the end to end goal games (FB, hockey , soccer , hoops, and Lax) of all of those, Lax requires the least amount of skill and athleticism. Stick skills are ultra specific. Alot of twirling and when it comes to playing goalie, well if the ball finds the goalie, saves are "made" . Rarely do you see reactive, diving saves made. The there shots are taken close and if from a distance plenty of traffic and screens . The game is bizarre and an attempt at another end to end, defend your goal game.

Serious question, have you ever watched lacrosse? I don't watch a lot but I've seen plenty of reaction saves, both from up close shots and distance.

One more and I'm done. It's a bit hard to make a 'diving' save when you're 5'11" the goal mouth is 6'. This is another example of just not knowing the game.

And at least we have gotten you from "there are no special skills required for lacrosse" to "Stick skills are ultra specific". Progress! Would you not agree that dribbling a ball in soccer is an ultra-specific skill? Where else do you use that skill to direct a ball upfield with your feet?

Ever see a catcher miss a 90 MPH pitch? The catcher knows where the pitch is supposedly headed. And where it's coming from. A lacrosse goalie has to watch the entire field and doesn't know where the 90 MPH shot is coming from until the last moment, from which side, from 5 yds or 20 yds out, etc. And the good ones "have the ball find them" at a 55+ % rate. A good baseball hitter knows where the ball is coming from and is celebrated when the ball finds the bat for a hit at 33%.

Where do you think our students come from.

A better question might be where does Ish88888 come from?

Ish - Most of SU’s students come directly from traditional hotbeds of lacrosse (LI, MD, Upstate NY) or more recently developed recruiting grounds (suburban Philly, NJ, NE outside of NEPSAC).

About the only thing I’d agree with you on is that the baseball-ization of lacrosse (i.e. the uniquely American need to have our sports become hyper-specialized skills over coached to a grindingly boring pace) is ruining the fastest game on two feet.

Baseball & darts - the only “sports” where morbidly obese “athletes” are celebrated for throwing objects at a target.

You really need to stop to keep from totally embarrassing yourself. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Watching paint dry sports? Sure, baseball is slow at times, but its the greatest game ever created and the toughest to play. Lacrosse is another weak attempt at an end to end goal game like hoops , hockey , FB , soccer, and on and on ...there are no special skills required for lacrosse as there are for those other classic sports. Its culty and pompous suburbia. I love Cuse but Lax success has been supplemental in terms of school notoriety and not even a pimple on JWs butt in terms of revenue.

You do realize most schools in upstate NY play lacrosse, right? I'm from Lowville- we have Lacrosse. Its not pompous suburbia. Its about as rural as it gets. Up the road is Carthage. That place produced the Powells and Josh Coffman to SU and a ton of other kids to other D1 programs.

This is pure gold. Thanks for the laugh this morning, you're a trip.

Watching paint dry sports? Sure, baseball is slow at times, but its the greatest game ever created and the toughest to play. Lacrosse is another weak attempt at an end to end goal game like hoops , hockey , FB , soccer, and on and on ...there are no special skills required for lacrosse as there are for those other classic sports. Its culty and pompous suburbia. I love Cuse but Lax success has been supplemental in terms of school notoriety and not even a pimple on JWs butt in terms of revenue.
Hockey is far more difficult. You can't be serious. I'll use your analogy. How many professional baseball players have made an NHL team? The fact that so many 'other' professional athletes think they can play baseball at least at some level shows that there is an issue with the sport. The fact that guys like MJ and Tebow can play decently at the minor league level says more than I need to know. Most pro baseball players couldn't even sniff the hockey minors. Gedafuqottohe.

It started off the rails, IMO

Really, let's go back all the way to the 2012-2013 school year.

Football 8-5, Pinstripe bowl, ended the year playing like a top 20 team.

Basketball 30-10, Final Four

Lacrosse, 16-4, National Final, #2 Ranking.

This year, all three programs are nowhere close to that level of performance.

You really don't think there's a reason to be concerned?

Hockey is far more difficult. You can't be serious. I'll use your analogy. How many professional baseball players have made an NHL team? The fact that so many 'other' professional athletes think they can play baseball at least at some level shows that there is an issue with the sport. The fact that guys like MJ and Tebow can play decently at the minor league level says more than I need to know. Most pro baseball players couldn't even sniff the hockey minors. Gedafuqottohe.

I think hockey may be THE toughest game to play, next to baseball . Thing is, skating might be the single most specific skill in all of team sport. Cant compare hockey and baseball players , each would be embarrassed by the best the other has to offer. If you weren't put on skates as a kid, you probably arent gonna play hockey.

Really, let's go back all the way to the 2012-2013 school year.

Football 8-5, Pinstripe bowl, ended the year playing like a top 20 team.

Basketball 30-10, Final Four

Lacrosse, 16-4, National Final, #2 Ranking.

This year, all three programs are nowhere close to that level of performance.

You really don't think there's a reason to be concerned?

Nope. Everything is cyclical; nothing and nobody stays on top forever.

/ thread.

I'm in the minority but my biggest concern is on the ability of our new AD to lead us thru these waters. I know everyone here seems confident that he is the guy, just not sure I"ve seen anything from him yet that has me jumping on or off the train either way. Jury still out but he better be good.

One more and I'm done. It's a bit hard to make a 'diving' save when you're 5'11" the goal mouth is 6'. This is another example of just not knowing the game.

And at least we have gotten you from "there are no special skills required for lacrosse" to "Stick skills are ultra specific". Progress! Would you not agree that dribbling a ball in soccer is an ultra-specific skill? Where else do you use that skill to direct a ball upfield with your feet?

Ever see a catcher miss a 90 MPH pitch? The catcher knows where the pitch is supposedly headed. And where it's coming from. A lacrosse goalie has to watch the entire field and doesn't know where the 90 MPH shot is coming from until the last moment, from which side, from 5 yds or 20 yds out, etc. And the good ones "have the ball find them" at a 55+ % rate. A good baseball hitter knows where the ball is coming from and is celebrated when the ball finds the bat for a hit at 33%.

I say this with peace and love, peace and love.

This is nuts. They’re both great sports requiring a tremendous (yet different) skillset.

People gave different tastes. I happen to like both of them.

Go Yankees, Go Orange (lax).

I say this with peace and love, peace and love.

This is nuts. They’re both great sports requiring a tremendous (yet different) skillset.

People gave different tastes. I happen to like both of them.

Go Yankees, Go Orange (lax).
Not sure if you thought I was knocking baseball. Sounded like it.

I wasn't. I was taking issue with an opinion that essentially equated lacrosse to shuffleboard. :cool:

Not sure if you thought I was knocking baseball. Sounded like it.

I wasn't. I was taking issue with an opinion that essentially equated lacrosse to shuffleboard. :cool:

I just wanted to reply to the voice of reason.

And shuffleboard is great too. So is Curling, which is just shuffleboard on ice.

I think hockey may be THE toughest game to play, next to baseball . Thing is, skating might be the single most specific skill in all of team sport. Cant compare hockey and baseball players , each would be embarrassed by the best the other has to offer. If you weren't put on skates as a kid, you probably arent gonna play hockey.

I'd agree that hitting a 90 mph curve ball is a very hard thing to do. The best guys try to hit anything 30% of the time. That's the only thing that's hard in the entire sport of baseball. Most athletes could shag fly's and field grounders.

For Hockey you obviously have to know how to skate which probably makes it the hardest sport to play.

And ref.
Why do u think fighting is allowed??

Did you see what happened?? I didn’t see what happened?? Oh good they dropped the gloves, let’s rest and give them time to fight it out and send them both to the box for 2 minutes.

Lax is fine. Not reaching the final four last year was a huge disappointment, but we won the ACC regular season at 4-0 and earned the #2 seed. This year the program was supposed to take a step back, and it looks like they will. Still a lot of season to be played though.

I think the main problem is more competition at the top. SU is still in the elite group, but there are more teams up there now than previously. ND, Duke, Denver used to be nothing and now they pour resources into the sport.

SU lacrosse has become SU basketball. Good but so are a lot of other schools.