this is getting real strange | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

this is getting real strange

Exactly BUT, he himself has said every move he has made in his career had been made to prepare him for this job. His binders even included recruiting info which is not needed in the NFL. So if he has been preparing himself his whole coaching career for SU, them when he took this job he had no intent of ever going back to the NFL. So there was no risk of derailment of an NFL chance because 4 years ago there was no intent.
When was the last time Doug spent time in this community before he was hired? Mid 80s? When this community was thriving and the dome was filled with thousands of corporate tickets and sponsorships were plentiful?

Gonna guess he was shocked to find a program so lacking in corporate support with a fan base that had morphed to the service industry and a massive rebuild of recruiting ties.

Exactly BUT, he himself has said every move he has made in his career had been made to prepare him for this job. His binders even included recruiting info which is not needed in the NFL. So if he has been preparing himself his whole coaching career for SU, them when he took this job he had no intent of ever going back to the NFL. So there was no risk of derailment of an NFL chance because 4 years ago there was no intent.

I think what you said supports what I wrote, but the "BUT" is throwing me off.

To let the recruits know. Also it seems the recruits themselves haven't heard from him just his assistants.

I know, that's what I said - staff, administration and recruits. How do we know he hasn't reached out to EBO and others. Hackett apparently took care of Allen because he has the strongest tie with him. Marrone doesn't have to answer to anyone else right now.

It's obvious that some you don't get the fact that he never had to come here to get to the NFL if that was his ultimate goal. Taking this job was a huge risk and could have derailed any chance he had. He already was on the NFL HC track and never had to spend another minute in college.

Who said he had to come to SU to get to the NFL?

I think by coming to SU he was saying that he *didn't* want to get to the NFL, at least not anytime soon. In fact it's exactly that point as to why people are confused.

When was the last time Doug spent time in this community before he was hired? Mid 80s? When this community was thriving and the dome was filled with thousands of corporate tickets and sponsorships were plentiful?

Gonna guess he was shocked to find a program so lacking in corporate support with a fan base that had morphed to the service industry and a massive rebuild of recruiting ties.

No doubt. My intent was to address his plans when he took the job. But even at that, I would be surprised if he hadn't done a little prep work unless he was blinded by just having the opportunity.

I still remember his words when I spoke to him (you may have been there too) after he was hired but before he had coached a game. He said it was his job to turn the program around, win games and get people in the Dome again. If he couldn't do that in 4-5 years, he would leave on his own accord.

Hard to believe a guy with a binder would walk into this job blindfolded.

I think what you said supports what I wrote, but the "BUT" is throwing me off.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

What else is Hackett going to say? "DM's gone and we might be too. Sorry bucko you gotta keep on truckin."

No doubt. My intent was to address his plans when he took the job. But even at that, I would be surprised if he hadn't done a little prep work unless he was blinded by just having the opportunity.

I still remember his words when I spoke to him (you may have been there too) after he was hired but before he had coached a game. He said it was his job to turn the program around, win games and get people in the Dome again. If he couldn't do that in 4-5 years, he would leave on his own accord.

Well, he's done the first two things. The 3rd was always going to be a lagging indicator of 1 and 2.

Given this season's finish and what should be a decent home schedule next year, one would think we'd see a solid average attendance next year (~42K?).

Who said he had to come to SU to get to the NFL?

I think by coming to SU he was saying that he *didn't* want to get to the NFL, at least not anytime soon. In fact it's exactly that point as to why people are confused.

Uh, no one.

But there are plenty of people here saying that what he said when he was hired was not sincere or honest, questioned if he was ever that committed, and that this was all part of his plan to get to the NFL and the "Dream Job" stuff was BS.

Uh, no one.

But there are plenty of people here saying that what he said when he was hired was not sincere or honest, questioned if he was ever that committed, and that this was all part of his plan to get to the NFL and the "Dream Job" stuff was BS.

Well, maybe he was sincere and honest, I think he was, but it's tough to blame people for being cynical. We have a couple decades of recent history of coaches putting forth outrageous lies about their career aspirations.

There's 100 Randy Edsall's for every Doug Marrone.

It's obvious that some you don't get the fact that he never had to come here to get to the NFL if that was his ultimate goal. Taking this job was a huge risk and could have derailed any chance he had. He already was on the NFL HC track and never had to spend another minute in college.

Good point

Chris Mortensen said Marrone "talked" to Cleveland today. Guess that's just a rumor, Mort doesn't know what he's talking about

Chris Mortensen said Marrone "talked" to Cleveland today. Guess that's just a rumor, Mort doesn't know what he's talking about

talked is a lot different than interviewed. Maybe they called to gauge his interest or let him know where they stand.

It's been strange.

You think there is truth to this, or just damage control?

You would think with the relationship Hackett cultivated with Allen, he wouldn't just be feeding him BS.

I'm hoping this whole NFL thing, the alleged no offer from Clemson to Ebo, and the apparent "silent verbal" we think Laray is, are all part of a plan to grab some national attention for the program.

Very unlikely, but it sure would tie together many loose ends nicely.

Marrone is as subtle as an iceberg. I doubt that is going on.

The Mort Report on NFL32...

Talked about Haley, Horton, Whis, Lovie Smith, Arians, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, and Bill O'Brien.

Marrone was mentioned LAST.

Mort said that "people" are talking about him because he was a former NFL OC, and that he was scheduled to interview with Cleveland today. No idea if the interview actually took place.

OK, so if you buy that, then why should he be so surprised at the state of facilities and fan support? He knew the place was a mess. He knew it wouldn't be turned around overnight. Now, just as we're starting to get good again, he's ready to bolt? Either this is all about leverage, or I'm starting to think that Doug is (a) impulsive (remember the bit he let slip at a lunch that he was going to quit if he didn't turn it around by year 3), or (b) he's really a bit of a douchebag.

It's one thing to leave. It's another to take all your assistants with you. We'll see.

Marrone is as subtle as an iceberg. I doubt that is going on.

I just felt like pointing out that the iceberg that sunk the Titanic was pretty damn subtle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom